The Kids From Yesterday

Engagement Parties

Image

September 7th

It was a week later when I sat on my bed struggling to close my suitcase. My boyfriend Nick Valensi, and close friends Jen and Derek were helping me pack for my "Fall" vacation since I didn't have a Summer break. I had only intended on staying for a week, but my director forced me to go for for the entire month of September, saying that I work too hard and need a break since the new show's production will begin in November.

I was reluctant to agree, but Jen and Derek convinced me to go. So I convinced Nick to come with me.

"Why do you have to pack so much?" Nick laughed, trying to force my suitcase to close.

"How dare you ask that question? You can never have too many clothes. The other suitcase is filled with shoes." Derek smirked, zipping up the bag with ease. Nick just shook his head.

"Well let's go, our flight should be soon." I sighed, getting up from the bed.

They helped me take my bags out to the taxi. "Are you sure you don't want us to drive you to the airport?" Jen asked.

I laughed, "You know my rules, no one drives me to an airport. Don't worry, I'll be fine." I hugged each of them.

"Call us, let us know if you need rescuing." Derek smiled, kissing my cheek.

"Try to make the best of things. You haven't seen your brother since Christmas." Jen added.

"Alright. I'll call you, love you." I smiled, following Nick into the taxi and shutting the door, I waved at them from the window.

"Where to?" The driver asked.

"JFK." I sighed.

It was a long flight to Los Angeles, which left me tired. After we got our bags, we made our way to the doors looking for my brother. The airport was crowded, like last time. Children running around as their parents chased after them and scolded them, foreign tourists looking lost, the business men quickly pacing through the crowd looking annoyed, and then a few normal travellers like myself. I then heard my name.

"Isla!" I could recognize that voice anywhere, especially that Cockney-Mockney accent. I turned around and saw my brother pushing through the crowd toward me, he quickly wrapped his arms around me and picked me up. "Iles it's been so long!"

I hugged him back and laughed. "William! I've missed you!"

He put me down and held my face, "You look so different. Seven months ago was the last time I seen you. You always seem to change each time I see you."

I smiled and pushed away his hands, "Well look at you, seems like your girl has straightened you up, what happened to your goatee?"

He burst out laughing, rubbing his chin. "Yeah Emily is really great. Are you up for a family dinner? Her family has invited some friends over for a little private engagement party."

"Um," I thought for a moment, not wanting to let him down. "Sure, what time?"

"Well, she's already at her parents place helping them get ready, I can take you back to our place and you can get changed or whatever."

"Yeah that sounds good." I smiled.

"Nick, sorry, how are you man?" William pulled Nick into a hug.

"I'm great, tired, but I'm good. How are you? I haven't seen you in forever." Nick smiled his perfect smile.

"I'm really great! So then, are you two up for the party?" Will asked, looking eager.

Nick shrugged his shoulders and looked at me. I smiled at him then looked at William, "Yeah we'll go."

"Perfect." Will grinned.

He helped us with our bags and led us outside to his car. From there we drove into L.A and the memories of my childhood came rushing back as I recognized the old buildings, I was impressed by the new places too and had to ask Will to bring me up to date on what these places were. I haven't been back to California since I first left.

We pulled into the driveway of his home on North Orange Grove Avenue. It was a gorgeous place, very Spanish-inspired. He set us up in one of the rooms in his four bedroom home and gave us some time to change into something more dressy for the evening.

Will knocked at the door, "Oh and Isla, Emily said it's a classy soiree, she said something about classy chic, whatever that is."

I looked at a dress I had laid out on the bed, "I think I got that." I then began to undress as Nick stretched out on the bed and watched me with a soft smile. I stuck out my tongue at him and then slipped into the dress.

I stepped closer to him so he could zip the back up for me. "What do you think?"

He smiled, "Wow, that's some dress. You look good, you're gonna be breaking some hearts tonight."

I just laughed and rolled my eyes. "Is that what you're going to wear?" I asked him.

He looked down and smirked, "Yeah..."

"You look handsome." I smiled, turning to leave the room, but he grabbed me and pulled me onto the bed, climbing on top of me. "Let's just forget about the party and make mad, passionate love while you talk dirty to me in that British accent and we'll cause the neighbours to call the police for noise complaints." He whispered, kissing my neck.

I burst out laughing, "As much as I like the sounds of that, we need to go to this, it's my brothers engagement party."

He made a childish face and puppy dog eyes. "Please."

I smiled and pulled him into a passionate kiss, pulling his body against mine. I then pushed him away.

"That should hold you off for a couple hours." I chuckled, getting up and going to the door. He followed after me into the hall where William had been pacing.

"Ready?" I smiled.

"Yes, let's go." He chuckled.

Nick held out his arm and I linked mine with his as we left. The drive wasn't too far from West Hollywood into Holmby Hills where Emily's family lived. The house was amazing, it was a huge mansion with large windows and a fountain out front where all the cars were parked.

"Here we are." Will smiled, parking the car.

"You didn't mention she was rich." I laughed, opening the door.

"She's actually a cousin to Matt."

I looked at him and furrowed an eyebrow, "Matt?"

"Oh, um, he was the singer in the band I was friends with."

I just nodded and walked with him and Nick up to the house, he let us in to a grand foyer where we were greeted by his fiancee. She was grinning as she wrapped her arms around me in a hug, "Hi Isla, I'm Emily."

I laughed, "It's nice to meet you."

"And you must be Nick?" She smiled, outstretching her arms to him.

Nick lightly laughed and hugged her, "Yes, Isla's boyfriend."

"That's great. Come, the party's out back, I want you to meet my family." She grabbed my hand and pulled me to the back, I grabbed Nick's hand and made a face at him. He just laughed.

When we got outside, there were tons of people laughing and casually drinking as jazzy music played. Chinese lanterns were hung from the trees along with stringed lights. I fit right in with the dress code.

"By the way Isla, I love your dress." Emily smiled.

"Thank you, it's Alexander McQueen." I replied, her parents then appeared.

"Mom, dad, I'd like to introduce Isla Pemberley. Williams sister."

"It's a pleasure." I smiled, shaking their hands.

"Isla, the big Broadway actress." Her father chuckled, "I'm John."

"And I'm Vivian." Her mother smiled, her voice was like Lauren Bacall's. Her hands were like ivory. "It's a shame your parents couldn't make it. They're in England, right?"

I nodded, "Yes, they're in York right now."

John smiled, looking at Nick. "And you are?"

"Nick Valensi, I'm Ile's boyfriend." Nick smiled. I could tell it was fake and I couldn't help but smile.

"Is Nick short for Nicholas?" Vivian asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes."

She looked him up and down, seeing his casual dress. "Ah, well it's a pleasure to meet you Nicholas. Welcome to our home." She replied. I wasn't sure if she was smiling or not. She and her husband then went on to converse with the other guests.

"Don't mind them, they're just like that." Emily quietly spoke.

"That's quite alright." I laughed.

"Well, let's go down onto the lawn and meet everyone. And we can get some champagne." Will clapped his hands, taking Emily's hand and leading us onto the lawn.

Some jazzy swing music then began playing from the swing band and Nick took my hand, pulling me into a dance. I blushed and started to laugh, "I don't think this is a dancing sort of party."

"Now it is." He smiled, swaying me side to side.

"Nick-"

"Shut up and dance." He laughed, making me laugh even more. He twirled me around until I was grabbed by William.

"And I'd like to introduce you to my sister, Isla." He spoke. I was dizzy and giggly when I tried to focus my eyes. I looked over at Nick who was dancing by himself, and when I looked back my expression dropped.

"Hello." He spoke, his voice was still the same, his eyes still as bright green as ever, but his hair was now black and tattoos crawled up his neck. Even his lip was pierced.

"Zachary." I replied.

"Long time no see." He half-smiled with a glass of champagne in his hand and a girl on his arm.

"You two know each other?" Emily smiled.

"Used to, it was a long time ago that I knew Ile." Zachary replied.

"I go by Isla now." I said, almost in awe.

"What are you doing now, Isla?" He asked.

"Um, I'm an actress on Broadway. I've been living in New York this whole time." I answered.

Nick then came stumbling next to me, laughing as he wrapped his arm around my waist. "Hello." He greeted the few people we were standing with.

"Oh Zacky, this is Nick Valensi, Isla's boyfriend." Emily introduced them. I was puzzled by the name Zacky.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Zacky." He shook his hand. "This is Gena, my girlfriend."

"Isla." I shook her hand with a smile.

Then there was an awkward moment between all of us. We kind of all looked around, I once made eye contact with "Zacky" and quickly looked away. Finally the silence was broken when another guy with black hair and tattoos came over and put his arms around Zack and Emily. He then looked at me.

"Hey, I know you. You were that girl that was like, the girlfriend or something of Zacky back in the day, right? I'm Brian, do you remember me?" He grinned.

I cleared my throat, "No, I really don't, that was a long time ago." I lied. "I'm gonna go get a drink."

I then turned to leave the group, walking over to the bar. I ordered a champagne and waited for a moment until I felt Nick's hand on my waist. I turned and half-smiled at him.

"I'm sorry." I looked down.

"About what?" He chuckled.

"That! I didn't mean for it to be awkward." I whispered.

"Iles, that was almost ten years ago. You were a kid, and I didn't even know you then. Don't feel bad." He smiled, leaned down from his tall frame to kiss me, lifting my chin and pressing his soft lips against mine.

Gently I pulled away, blushing as always. I looked around and then made eye contact again with Zack. He looked at me and then looked back at my brother.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave a Comment and let me know what you think :)

Isla's Dress