Sequel: Vegas
Status: Sequel- Vegas- Up Now

Shameless

Chapter 4:

I sat on my bed trying to slip on some old flats, and of course they didn’t fit. I rarely wore any kind of dress shoes, it was converse, sneakers and vans all the way. These were a few years old, and kind of ugly to be honest. They were black covered in this weird bubble type pattern, and they had a navy blue bow sitting right on the toes.

“You almost ready?” I heard my mother’s whiny voice call up the stairs.

I responded with a ‘yeah’ as I stared at myself int he full-length mirror on the closet door. Blue and green and black floral print dress, the one my dad had bought for me for my 16th birthday, my caramel hair was shuffled up into a messy bun at the back of my head, and I held the shoes in my hands.

“Moll, come on, they’re here.” Alex said as he peeked into my room. “Erhm… nice dress.”

“My shoes don’t fit.” I pouted in an attempt to get sympathy from my brother.

“Put your vans on!” He said as he pulled the sleeves of his black dress shirt up to his elbows and exited my room.

I guess that was my only choice.

***

“Oh, and this is my daughter, Molly.” My mother said as I came down the stairs and stood beside my brother.

I tried not to laugh at her face when she noticed my shoes, her eyes went wide and her skin went red.

“She’s the youngest. By thirteen minutes.” She turned towards who I assume was Mrs. Thompson, forcing a smile. “Why don’t you kids go set the table?”

I shuffled away into the dining room, Alex behind me.

“Did you see her fucking face?” He laughed the second our mother was out of earshot.

“Ugh, I know. It was pretty damn hard to keep a straight face.”

We placed the plates down rather quickly, and I could hear our guests bragging about their kids being so smart, it made me want to throw up. Why was being smart so important?

“You look nice though.” Alex smiled as he set down the glasses.

“Shut up.”

“Molly! Watch your tongue! You are a lady, so act like it!” My mother shrieked. “And those shoes, they’re going in the trash as soon as this night is over!”

“But they’re mine!” I stomped my foot in anger. “And they’re a hell of a lot prettier than anything you wear!”

My breath was gone, I really should have thought before I said that. Mom’s face was so red it might’ve burst into flames, even Alex was shocked. He knew I was in deep trouble.

“Room, now.”