Sequel: Smile for Me
Status: Finished :)

Give Me a Smile

Vulnerable

I got bored after a while. I tried getting out of the handcuffs, but that was useless. I hummed to myself, sang songs, and talked nonsense. There was no way of telling what time it was. It could’ve been two in the morning or one in the afternoon. After a few hours I was deathly bored, and had to pee. The Joker hadn’t come back.

I ended up peeing myself. I couldn’t hold it anymore, so I sat in a puddle of my own piss, completely ashamed. I started sobbing, and that was when The Joker came back.

He burst in the door cackling, trailing the smell of fire behind himself. Smoke was billowing from the ends of his sleeves. “Quinnie! I have so much to, ha!, tell you! I, I just, I DID so much! Haha, no one even saw, ha!, it coming!”

I was frozen and scared, tears still falling down my face. He stopped and eyed me. “I’m, I’m so sorry.” I cried. “I couldn’t, h-hold it. I had to pee.” The Joker slapped me, making my head hit the bed. “Quinn. Quinn, now we’re not, uh, animals, are we? I mean, do I look, ha!, like a DOG to ya?”

I shook my head. He came in close. “WOOF!” I jumped backwards, hurting my wrist when the handcuff stopped me. “I can’t allow this, Quinn.” His face darkened, and I started begging. “P-Please, I’m sorry! Just lock me in the bathroom again, I’m sorry!”

He grabbed me by the throat and pulled until I was bent back over the bed. His scent filled my nose. Smoke. I screamed and tried to struggle against his weight. The Joker covered my mouth with a hand and held the knife up. “Shh, shh, shh!” he hissed, holding the blade to his lips. “I won’t, uh, I’m not gonna hurt you, Quinn. Promise. I promise, see?”

Joker slipped the knife away and held his empty hands up, falling entirely against my chest. I could feel his heart beating, which was strange. I had almost thought he wasn’t human enough to have a heart. “It’s okay, it’s good, I, uh, I’ll take care of ya, princess.” He stayed there for a little longer, breathing softly in my ear.

It was the closest anyone had been to me in two years. At least, anyone who wasn’t hurting me. The Joker got off me and unlocked the hand cuffs. “Clean this up. And, ah, don’t try to escape. Door’s locked!” I tried the door anyway. It was locked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Experts note that because they are especially vulnerable and impressionable, children may be particularly prone to forming bonds with their captors, a phenomenon that may differ from Stockholm syndrome in adults.