Status: Haitus- An A7x story of hopefully epic proportions (If you're able to read past the first chapter I will marry you).

Rosie

Harvest Gold

Not too soon after, we ended up in Wet Seal to find a top for the interview. Dawn was busying herself with the clothing racks, having a knack for finding really good deals. She was humming along with Madonna’s Like a Virgin blaring throughout the store, doing a funny little dance as she examined nearly every single article of clothing in sight. I hung behind, anxiously checking my phone every few minutes. Zacky would be arriving soon and I’d need to make a quick exit when the time came.

‘’Did you find anything?’’ I asked tentatively, looking at the vast amount of clothes in her arms with dread.

‘’Probably.’’

I quickly started searching through the lot, putting a majority of the clothes back. She tried to grab more shirts off the racks but I smacked her hand away.

‘’No more, just let me look through what you’ve got here,’’ I said firmly, ignoring her pout. After a minute of digging I pulled out a red blouse, checked to find that it was my size, and put everything back on the clearance rack.

‘’Okay, now, let’s go.’’

‘’You’re not even going to try it on?’’ she asked, obviously sad that I wasn’t going to be her Barbie doll again.

‘’It’s my size and it goes with the skirt. Now come on,’’ I said. We waited impatiently on the line and I nearly dragged her out of the store once I paid.

‘’Wait, I lost my flip flop!’’ she yelled, pulling her arm from mine and running back to the store entrance to get it. I rolled my eyes and pulled out my phone. Zack had texted me:

I’m here, where are you guys?

I responded quickly, telling him to meet us by the food court as I linked arms with Dawn again. She seemed confused as to why we were headed back in that direction.

‘’Where are we going?’’

‘’I want to get a smoothie,’’ I said, which was actually true…sort of.

She declared that she wanted one as well and we sat down at a small table with our selective smoothies. She played with her straw while I sipped at mine anxiously, my eyes darting all over the food court. After a few minutes I spotted him coming in from a side entrance, clad in black jeans and a red AFI shirt, looking around for the group that wasn’t even there. His eyes finally landed on our table and he started walking over. Even from where I sat I could tell he looked a bit confused.

‘’Hey guys, where is everyone?’’ he asked, pulling up a chair. Dawn appeared almost startled.

‘’What are you doing here?’’ she asked, her harvest gold eyes looking at him curiously. He turned towards her and I noticed him fidget in his chair uncomfortably.

‘’The guys wanted to meet me over here. Didn’t Ross tell you?’’ he asked, looking at me with a raised eyebrow. I glared at the use of my nickname. I thought he’d forgotten about that.

‘’No, she didn’t mention anything about inviting other people, now that I think about it,’’ she said thoughtfully, her brows furrowing a little. I slowly got up from the table, grabbing my bags and clearing my throat.

‘’Well, it’s been lovely chatting with you all but now I am going to…well, bye!’’ I quipped, darting away from the table like a bat out of hell and making a beeline for the nearest exit, leaving Dawn and Zacky to stare after me in shock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dawn’s Point of View

‘’What was that about?’’ I asked Zacky, genuinely confused. A look of realization appeared on his face and his eyes narrowed. He muttered something about the legality of tasers in California before meeting my eyes, his features easing up.

‘’She’s crazy,’’ he stated, looking away and suddenly becoming very interested in my smoothie. I waited for him to say something else but he stayed quiet.

‘’She is,’’ I agreed, offering him some of my smoothie. He declined. ‘’I tried helping Jimmy out, since he was trying to pursue her as a friend and was having a hard time. I only hope he listened to me.’’

Zacky nodded and looked around the food court, fidgeting in his chair. I briefly wondered if he was suffering from ADD.

‘’She’s not coming back, is she?’’ I asked.

He looked very doubtful. ‘’I don’t know. Stay here.’’ He got up and walked to the other side of the food court, pulling out his phone and putting it to his ear. I could see his arms flying around as he argued with the person on the other line, who I could only guess was Rosie. I couldn’t hear what he was saying but I did start laughing when a mall cop went up to him, making him shut up. I finished off my smoothie as I waited for him to return.

He was back in a matter of seconds. ‘’Yeah, she’s definitely gone,’’ he told me, his face a bit pink.

I shrugged and got up, tossing my cup away. ‘’So, what do we do now?’’

He nibbled on his lip a bit. I couldn’t help but think Zacky was nervous. ‘’Where do you want to go?’’

I pondered for a moment. ‘’How about Spencer’s?’’

‘’That’s fine.’’

We walked in that general direction, his hands buried in his pockets and a slight smile playing at the corners of his pouty lips. I twirled my hair around my fingers absentmindedly, humming to nothing in particular. The mall was pretty busy for a Sunday; it mostly consisted of teenagers who were on summer vacation and a lot of adults. I nearly squealed when a lady passed us, pushing a stroller in front of her with a tiny, adorable little baby girl in it. I let out a small ‘’eep’’; I’d always loved children, especially babies. Babies were adorable.

Zacky looked at me weird because of my reaction. ‘’What was that? Did you step on a mouse?’’

I hit him on the arm playfully. ‘’No, I just love babies. They’re so cute,’’ I sighed whimsically.

He didn’t really know what to say to that. Instead, he asked, ‘’so, why Spencer’s?’’

‘’I’ve never been in there before and it always looked really interesting from the outside. I know they have clothes and stuff,’’ I said. If only I knew have naïve I sounded.

We walked into the store and were met with flashing, colorful lights and some heavy metal song that I didn’t know. Band tees and a wide variety of hats were put on numerous displays in the front, along with beer pong kits and drinking glasses. The place was incredibly crowded, and two seconds after walking in I was nearly knocked over by some guy that greatly resembled the hulk. If you were wondering, it wasn’t Matt. This guy would put Matt to shame. I was sent flying towards a rack of clothes when I felt a hand grab mine, pulling me up before I could hit into anything.

Zack made sure I was okay before he guided us through the store, continuing to hold my hand. I figured he was trying to prevent us from being separated again.

I grabbed a hat from the display, sticking it on his head. It was a grey, furry hat with wolf ears, far too warm for the summer but he looked adorable all the same. Turning around, he looked at me with amused green eyes before peering into a nearby mirror.

‘’Am I supposed to do a wolf impression or something?’’

‘’Yes,’’ I insisted.

He let out a howl, which earned him a few weird looks from the people nearby but I grinned. I took the hat off and ruffled his hair.

We came across glass cases of different piercings and I took the time to admire the cool little body modifications, my hand still in Zacky’s.

‘’What kind of piercing would you get?’’ he asked.

‘’I don’t think I’d ever get anything pierced, other than my ears. It’s just not my thing, but I do like them on other people,’’ I said, turning towards him and studying his face. He seemed almost afraid to move. ‘’Snakebites. You’d look good with snakebites.’’

‘’Fuck, you’re like a wizard or something,’’ he said, utterly amazed, ‘’I’ve been considering getting those for awhile now.’’

‘’You should do it, I think it’d look good.’’ He smiled and I smiled back before we headed to the back of the store.

I really hated the fact that I was so innocent sometimes because I was easily shocked and embarrassed when it came to a lot of sexual things. This being said, when the back part of Spencer’s came into view I started blushing like mad. The walls were lined with dildos, skimpy outfits, edible underwear and things that I didn’t even know existed. Zacky’s eyes lit up when he spotted a maid costume, feather duster and all.

‘’Hey Dawn-‘’

‘’No,’’ I said quickly, ‘’unless you’re thinking about getting that for Johnny, in which case I’d say get it.’’

He proceeded to pout. ‘’But Dawn-‘’

‘’No! No, no, no, no, no.’’ I covered my ears and walked away, pretending to be very interested in the penis-shaped lollipops. I wondered what it’d take to get Zacky to walk around the mall while eating one.

‘’Okay, what about this?’’ He walked over to me and held up a very revealing school girl outfit. I stared at him blankly.

‘’What is with you men and skimpy outfits?’’ I mumbled, blushing ever so slightly, ‘’unless you plan on putting that damn thing on yourself I don’t even want to look at it.’’

Zacky put the outfit back but looked at me with a shit-eating grin, moving closer as people pushed past us. I suddenly became very aware of how close he really was. ‘’You’re not comfortable with sex related stuff, are you?’’

I blushed even more and tried not to show a change in my expression. God damnit. ‘’I have no problem with sex…things,’’ I sputtered, looking elsewhere. I was very shy about sex, going all the way back to high school. Even while everyone else was doing it I was insecure and very nervous about it. At parties when guys would try to hit on me or hook up, nervously I would yell, ‘’get away from me with your dicks!’’ Needless to say, I was thought to be a lesbian for awhile.

Zacky seemed to notice that I wanted to drop the topic so he did, which I was thankful for. ‘’Let’s go somewhere else?’’ he suggested. I nodded and let him take my hand again, maneuvering our way back to the store entrance.

‘’Oh, wait! A quarter!’’ I announced, bending over to pick it up. When I stood up straight again, I noticed that Zacky’s face greatly resembled the color of a tomato. Why was he blushing?

‘’Are you okay?’’ I asked curiously, pocketing the quarter. He nodded quickly, clearing his throat and composing himself.

‘’I’m fine, let’s…go places,’’ he said awkwardly. I shrugged it off and nodded, letting him wrap an arm around my shoulders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’d been out in Orange County since I was 19, training to be a bartender. I hadn’t actually met Zacky and the guys until I was 21 and working at Johnny’s, but once I did I adored them. How could you not? They were so nice and friendly, despite their slightly intimidating appearance. I’d hang out with them every once in awhile, go to other bars and drink with them at their shows, things like that. Since we were drunk almost every time I went anywhere with them, I didn’t really know too much about them, even though we were acquainted long before Rosie moved in with me. I pretty much just knew them and Val by their names, their music, their personalities and their love for partying, and in return I was also a bit of a mystery. It was evident that Zacky was trying to change this while we were still alone.

‘’You haven’t always lived in California, have you?’’ he asked a bit later. We were wandering around the mall aimlessly.

I shook my head. ‘’Rosie and I are both from New York… the City, to be exact.’’

‘’Oh wow, what’s it like? I’ve never been there.’’ He seemed genuinely interested.

‘’It’s...the City,’’ I laughed, pulling on a string that hung from my shorts, ‘’it’s crazy and insanely busy, nothing like how it is out here. You Southern Californians are so laid back. Most New Yorkers would go ape shit if you looked at them the wrong way.’’

Zacky started laughing. ‘’That sounds a hell of a lot like Rosie. Damn that girl can be scary.’’

I smirked. ‘’She can be quite the firecracker when she wants to be.’’

‘’If you don’t mind me asking, how did you two even become friends?’’

I told him the story of when I stole her cookies back in elementary school and the small food fight that followed. He smiled and laughed a little more, his green eyes lighting up. I felt my heart do this weird little fluttery thing. What the fuck was that?

‘’Can we go outside for a few minutes? I need a quick smoke.’’ I realized we were by one of the exits.

‘’Sure, that’s fine,’’ I replied.

He held the door open for me and we leaned against the brick wall. I looked up at the evening sky, with its pretty purples and oranges, the shadowed clouds streaking into the pastels. A few stars were starting to show up. It was really beautiful, something that I’d never get to see if I were still in the City. Pulling out my phone, I snapped a picture of the scenery.

I looked over at Zacky, with his careless demeanor and cigarette dangling between his lips. I wasn’t sure why Rosie left me at the mall with him but I couldn’t complain. I enjoyed his company and I was pretty sure he enjoyed mine, not to mention he definitely wasn’t bad to look at. His hair was a bit shaggy in the front but it suited him just right. His lips had a natural pout, and admittedly at that moment I wondered what they’d feel like against my own. Most of all, his eyes were just stunning, and when he turned to look at me I felt my breath catch in my throat.

‘’Come here,’’ I said quietly, phone still in hand. He moved so he was right next to me, looking curious as I leaned into him. I wasn’t even sure why I was doing this.

‘’Here, I want to get a picture.’’ He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, our heads close together as we smiled into the camera. I checked to make sure the picture looked okay before saving it, realizing that Zacky hadn’t moved, his head resting against mine, carefully finishing his cigarette.

I didn’t know what to do or if I should even move away. I peeked up at him, my heart suddenly going into a frenzy when I noticed how close his lips were to mine. He seemed to notice this too because for a split second he looked nervous before seizing the opportunity, tilting my chin up a bit and slowly leaning in.

My eyes fluttered shut when I felt his lips ever so slightly brush against mine…and then it was over.

My eyes opened wide and I yelled in shock when someone knocked into me, a cold liquid going all over my shirt. Zacky jumped away quickly and I looked over to the person who’d interrupted what was about to happen.

A little old lady with a water bottle had just come out of the mall, and she was apologizing over and over again for hitting into me.

‘’Oh, I’m so sorry dear, I wasn’t watching where I was going! Are you alright?’’ she asked, placing her hand on my arm.

I looked down at my white shirt which was now soaking wet and see through. Zacky was staring. I felt myself blush profusely.

‘’It’s okay, don’t worry about it,’’ I replied, folding my arms over my chest.

‘’Are you sure? Oh, I feel terrible, it was an accident.’’

‘’Really, it’s nothing.’’

After reassuring her a bit more that I’d be fine, she left, leaving me with a boy who couldn’t stop staring at my boobs. Talk about awkward.

‘’I’m getting a new shirt,’’ I mumbled, opening the door and going back inside. Zacky followed hurriedly.

‘’Are you sure?’’ He looked disappointed.

‘’Yes I’m sure, I don’t want people gawking at my chest,’’ I said sternly, trying to cover myself to the best of my ability. Zacky opened his mouth to protest until he saw the two guys walking past us eyeing a certain part of my body in a way that made me very uncomfortable. His eyes narrowed, trying to keep up with my fast pace.

‘’I’m getting you a new shirt.’’

‘’No, you’re not.’’

‘’Dawn, let me do it.’’

‘’You’re being ridiculous, it’s just a shirt.’’

‘’A shirt that I am getting for you.’’

‘’God damnit, Zacky, just let me get it!’’

‘’No!’’

We argued like this until I caved, agreeing to let him buy me a new shirt so he’d shut up. I’d forgotten all about what almost happened outside; I was more focused on changing into something more comfortable. I slipped into my new black and grey striped t-shirt in the bathroom, my old shirt in the bag that the new one came in.

‘’Thanks, Zacky,’’ I said when I came out, smiling slightly. He was waiting by the little cars and trucks that little kids could sit in while music played, just outside the bathrooms. He shrugged, scratching the back of his neck.

‘’It’s nothing.’’

I looked at one of the cars; it had two small seats and for some reason I felt like being a little childish. I rummaged around in my pockets and pulled out two quarters, putting them in the machine. Happy children music started playing from it.

‘’Get into my hot new ride,’’ I said, patting the hood. Zack raised an eyebrow before getting in, his legs squished against his body. I squeezed in next to him, half of my body ending up on his lap. The car’s ‘’motor’’ started up and I turned the steering wheel, pretending to drive.

‘’Um…what are we doing?’’ he asked quietly, his mouth right by my left ear. I felt a chill go up my spine.

‘’I don’t know,’’ I responded in all honesty, letting go of the wheel and trying to shift into a more comfortable position. I felt something hard underneath my thigh. ‘’Is that your phone?’’

‘’Uh, yeah,’’ he replied, a bit of strain in his voice.

‘’Oh okay.’’ I hummed along with the music, looking over at Zacky. He was examining the chipped paint on the car, concentrating on something with much effort.

When the ride was over he wasted no time in hopping out, claiming he had to use the little men’s room and running off in that direction.

I took this time to call Rosie.

‘’You sly dog,’’ I said the second I heard her pick up.

‘’What ever do you mean?’’

‘’Leaving me here with Zacky. You were trying to set us up, weren’t you?’’

She laughed for a good minute. ‘’It took you this long to figure that out?’’

I rolled my eyes. ‘’That’s not the point. Why did you do that?’’

‘’Because it needed to be done, but tell me, did anything happen?’’

‘’Almost,’’ I sighed, telling her about the old lady and the water bottle. She was laughing even more.

‘’Oh, that’s great. Was he looking at your boobs?’’

‘’Yup.’’

She scoffed. ‘’Typical male. I swear they’re all programmed the same.’’

I chatted with her until Zacky came back out, his cheeks pink and his hair askew. I hung up and looked at him expectantly.

‘’Did you fall in or something? You were in there for at least fifteen minutes.’’

He blushed and nibbled on his lip. ‘’Something like that.’’

I didn’t question him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we were finally leaving he informed me that Rosie had taken the car, so he’d be the one driving me home. By this time it was dark out and I was hungry, so Zacky stopped at a McDonalds and we ate in his car before heading back to the apartment. He had a bunch of CDs in the glove compartment so I’d chosen to listen to some old Ozzy, silently bobbing my head along. The ride home was quiet but not in an uncomfortable way. We’d exchange glances every now and then, a smile creeping up on his lips. I was still curious as to why he’d tried kissing me earlier. I’d known him for months and it wasn’t until that day that I noticed his interest in me. Silently scolding myself, there had probably been more signs prior to the mall trip that indicated the potential of something more. I was too naïve to even notice and it took Zacky’s mouth almost having a personal meeting with mine for me to realize it. Not that I minded, in fact I didn’t mind at all. I sort of wanted to try it again.

He pulled up in front of the building and suddenly looked a bit antsy, exhaling deeply and scratching the back of his neck. I waited patiently to hear what he was going to say, my gold eyes peering at him in concern. He appeared nervous again.

‘’I, uh…I was just wondering…well, tomorrow the guys and I are going back into the studio to do a bit of writing and recording, and I’ll pretty much be there all day apart from a lunch break. If you’re not busy...can I take you out to lunch?’’ I knew from the way his voice shook and the way his eyes met mine that it wasn’t an easy question for him to ask. He seemed so sweet and genuine. I was having a hard time not kissing him.

‘’That’d be nice,’’ I smiled, my cheeks blushing a bit. He looked utterly relieved and smiled back.

‘’Cool, I’ll pick you up at your job around one?’’

‘’That’s fine,’’ I replied, unable to look away from him, ‘’thank you for everything, today was really great.’’

‘’It was. I like hanging out with you,’’ he admitted sheepishly, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear. I felt my cheeks go hot as his thumb brushed across my temple. I almost didn’t want to get out of the car.

I leaned over and pressed my lips to his cheek, letting them linger there for a few seconds before opening the door, returning his shy smile. ‘’I’ll see you tomorrow, Zacky.’’ He seemed at a loss for words so he waved when I got out of the car, his face most likely as red as mine.

Rosie was a crazy bitch, but god did I love her at that moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Brooke, I hope you appreciated the chapter title x]
So, I hope you enjoyed this little installment. I figured you guys should know a bit more about Dawn and that's why most of this is in her point of view. She and Zacky are cute, aren't they? ^-^ I had fun torturing him though, not gonna lie.

Thank you so so so much to everyone who's stuck with this so far, especially those who commented on the last chapter:
NME_foREVer_6661
eeveefox1
gothique4

For those silent readers out there, please don't be shy, I love hearing feedback (: