Status: new; active

Shield Me From the Storms

Veggie Pizza

Two weeks after Dani and I officially made out for the first time, I woke up to white snow covering everything from the grass to the roof of my car. Every surface was sparkling almost too brightly. Putting on gloves, I grabbed the snow brush and started to clean my windshield, trying to hurry so I wouldn't be late picking up Sophia.
I turned to the sound of a door closing, smiling at my boyfriend as he crossed the street in his red coat, knitted mittens, and white ski hat. He was so bundled up, for a moment I could imagine him in subzero weather surrounded by penguins and riding a polar bear to school.
At school, the heat was turned up to like a hundred degrees. I regretted wearing my ugly wool sweater, pushing up the sleeves.
“Are they trying to bake us?” I murmured in complaint as we made our way to first class.
“More like fry it seems,” Sophia agreed, pulling her hair up into a ponytail in an attempt to get it off her neck.
Dani's fingers entwined with mine, our palms a little clammy due to the sweat already forming on every inch of our skin. Gross.
“Hopefully they'll realize this isn't a sauna before too long,” I grumbled, wiping my brow and grimacing at the moisture on my fingers.
I dropped lazily into my chair, Sophia immediately pulled out her phone and began moving her thumbs wildly, so I turned to Dani and smiled. He was already looking at me, his eyebrows pinched as if he was thinking about something.
“Do you.. wanna come over tonight?”
“Yeah, I'd love to.”
He grinned. “Great. I'll order pizza and breadsticks. We can watch movies and play that dancing game you like so much.”
I laughed. “Sounds great, baby.”

******

I went over to Dani's after a grueling soccer practice. I had sweat in places I didn't know I could sweat. I was sweating so much my sweat was sweating. Dani grimaced at my appearance as soon as he opened the door, waving a hand in front of his nose.
“I know, I know. I reek. Can I use the shower?”
He nodded, turning away from me with a disgusted look on his face. Jeez. Was it really that bad? I lifted my arm and sniffed. I felt like every nose hair shriveled up and died with a little shriek. Holy White Jesus, I need a shower.
Making sure I had my bag this time, I went upstairs to the bathroom and hopped in the shower. I quickly scrubbed myself clean with tons of soap all over my body, especially my arm pits. Afterwards, I pasted on the deodorant, some cologne, and clean clothes, choosing a red tee shirt with an abstract design on it and some skinny jeans.
Dani was in the kitchen when I returned, pouring apple juice in tall cups. He looked up when I entered and smiled.
“Much better,” he teased.
I just stuck my tongue out at him, snatching the cup he just filled, and taking a large gulp.
“Pizza will be here soon,” he continued. “I ordered a veggie pizza with no olives. I hope that's cool?”
“Sounds delicious.” I love veggie pizza. How convenient that he does too. I leaned on the counter as he put the apple juice back in the fridge. “So, what's your favorite dish in the house?”
Dani gave me a funny look, as if wondering why I was such a weirdo. “Like food?”
“No, like hardware. Like a plate or bowl.”
There was that funny look again. “I don't know.”
“You don't have a favorite dish? There isn't a plate you would use over another? Or a bowl?”
He slowly shook his head. “No... do you?”
“Yes. I have this Captain America cereal bowl from when I was a kid and lived in America. It's red and the bottom of the bowl is his shield. I love that bowl. I will use it for anything... even pizza.”
Dani grinned at me. “You're such a freak, Josh.”
I gasped, pretending to be offended. “I am not a freak,” my arms wrapped around his middle and he giggled as I nibbled at his neck.
The door bell rang just then and Dani rushed to the door. I followed him a little more slowly, witnessing the exchange of money for a giant box of veggie pizza and breadsticks. My mouth watered just at the sight of the grease spots already forming on the cardboard. Yum.
“Can you put the movie in? I have it set out on the coffee table. I'll get this pizza served up,” Dani muttered, a little strained from the weight of the food.
I nodded, turning towards the living room. I rolled my eyes at his choice of movie. Freaking Titanic. Great. Nothing like two bawling gay men curled up on a couch eating veggie pizza. Picturesque.
Only a few seconds after I did, Dani plopped on the couch next to me, two plates full of food in his hands. I claimed one, allowing Dani to cuddle up to me before digging into it. The movie started and we settled in. This was perfect.

*****

“I can't believe you beat me again!” Dani exclaimed in exasperation, hands thrown up.
I laughed. “I just got those moves, baby.” I winked slyly at him.
A blush bloomed on his cheeks. It reminded me of the pink in the sky when the sun rises, peeping over the horizon, ready to show its beauty to the world. That's what Dani reminded me of. A sunrise at dawn about to cast his rays of sunshine across the dark, dark world.
“Another round?” I asked him, but he shook his head.
“I've learned my lesson.”
I couldn't help the smirk that curved my lips. It was just too funny watching Dani shake his little tail off just to lose to me four times in a row. I'll have to let him win sometimes, just so he'll keep playing with me. “Alright. Let's go to bed then. This winner is exhausted.”
He glared. “So is this loser.”
I slung my arm around his shoulders. “Aw honey, you're not a loser. You just didn't win.”
He gave me a look the Devil would be afraid of.

Once in his room, Dani turned to me. “You're staying the whole night... right?”
My brows furrowed. “I am?” I usually waited until he was asleep and then I went home myself so that I wouldn't upset his parents. However, I haven't seen his parents at all since I've been here.
The pink blush returned to his cheeks. “I'd like you to.”
My heart stuttered in my chest. I couldn't believe he was willing to take such a big step like this. Staying the night together? This is HUGE. “What about your parents?”
“They won't be home until later tomorrow. We'll be okay.” It almost sounded like he was convincing himself, however I knew he was probably just as nervous as I am now, if not more.
“Then yes. I'll stay.”
Dani grinned. “Great.”
I leaned in and kissed him lightly on the lips. Foreheads still touching, I whispered, “this has been the best night I've ever had.” When I leaned back, his eyes were swimming with emotion. In a burst of motion, he hugged me. I rested my cheek on his hair and closed my eyes, relishing this feeling of complete bliss. I wanted nothing more from him, nothing less. I simply wanted him.
♠ ♠ ♠
yeee!
Sorry for the lateness guys!
Hope you like it!