The Doctor Knows Best

2

I had my stitches before waiting for the x-ray, the doctor explained but the nurse told me there was a wait due to an emergency, the pain in my stomach kept getting worse. I felt the room start spinning and I tried to focus my mind “Are you okay?” the nurse asked “I feel dizzy,” I admitted and he nodded. “I think I’m going to be sick,” I mumbled and he shouted the doctor “Dr Cooper in here please!” he shouted again and I felt a pair of cold hands on my head.

“Summer, can you tell me what’s wrong please?” a voice who I recognised to be Doctor Cooper asked, “She said she felt dizzy and then she felt sick” “Okay Summer talk to me” the doctor said again. “What’s wrong with me?” I managed to ask. “Summer I need you to tell me what you feel, this could be your head or your stomach so be as descriptive as possible. You feel dizzy is that right?” he asked “Yeah and sick” I admitted.

“Okay, what about your temperature; do you feel hot or cold?” “Cold, really cold” I said as my voice cracked, there was a mumble about a fever before hands pushed my top up again moving over my stomach. I moved as he made the pain worse, “Okay Summer try and stay still for me please” he said but the pain started to spread and I wanted nothing more than for it to all stop.

I put my hand to my stomach instinctively and he moved his hand to my own “Has the pain moved?” I nodded “Okay we need to get her to surgery now, call surgery and tell them we’ve got a ruptured appendix that needs urgently seeing to!” he shouted. “Summer you need to go have a little operation on your appendix” “Operation?” I asked and I felt sick from worry as well as pain.

“Yeah, your appendix seems to have ruptured, I’m just about to make sure but I’m pretty certain that’s what’s wrong with you. They’ll remove your appendix but don’t worry it’s not that complicated of an operation and we do it often enough, plus your appendix isn’t vital to you so you’ll be perfectly healthy without it” he reassured and I looked at him.

“I don’t know” I said quietly and he smiled “You’ll be fine, I promise you” he stated “I’d believe you but you’re a doctor and you all lie” “Well this one doesn’t” he cut back, “They all say that” I said feeling grumpy from the pain and being plain mean. He grinned at me “Well I know male and a doctor, I don’t have much going for me but come on give me a shot here, I’ll even make sure you get the female surgeon” he said laughing.

I stayed quiet and he shrugged “Fine, nurse can you get me Summer Canning’s discharge papers then. If your not having surgery then feel free to go home because there’s nothing more I can do for you, look forward to a lot of pain” he stated and I looked at him before shaking my head. “So your having surgery?” I nodded “Good now you’ll be…” “Doctor here’s the results,” a new voice shouted and I looked to see a female nurse batting her eyelashes at him and he grabbed them from her.

He read the papers before nodding and putting a cold gel on my stomach “Sorry this might hurt again” he informed before putting something on my stomach looking at a screen and I wriggled in pain and he nodded taking it from me wiping my stomach. “Ruptured appendix, damn I’m good! Anyway surgery it is for you,” he said as he explained it all to me quickly.

They began to move me after he’d sedated me slightly and before I knew it everyone was leaving me with new people “See you the other side Summer” the doctor said and I looked at him “I got you the female surgeon like I said” he smiled walking off.