The Doctor Knows Best

3

I woke up in a room, I shifted rubbing my eyes “Summer your awake, how are you?” someone asked and I looked to see Samuel, we’d been friends for a few years now and he was my pastor’s eldest son. “I’ll go get the doctor,” he stated getting up and I nodded as he left. He returned with Dr. Cooper “Well hello sunshine, how are you feeling?” he asked and I nodded as he smiled.

“Sorry about this one, he showed up and said you were friends, you were alone and well we like sick people to have company so I agreed to let him stay as long as he went if you asked. Do you mind?” he explained. “No that’s okay” “Okay well that’s good, is there anyone else you want us to contact?” he asked and I shook my head.

“Okay chirpy lets see the damage shall we?” he joked moving to my head and then to my stomach as Samuel stood next to me “Whoa, would you look at the mess of that thing” the doctor said and I looked at him wide eyed. “I’m totally playing with you, it looks great, clean stitches and everything. Everything went perfectly, your going to be just fine but you’ll have to stay in for another night. I know we have sucky food but hey I’m here and you can’t eat anyway, I’ll leave you alone but if you want me shout,” he said walking out and I smiled as he left.

“That guy makes jokes enough doesn’t he?” Samuel asked and I nodded slowly “So your okay?” “Yeah I’m good, tired but good” I replied and he smiled at me sitting down next to me on a chair. “Well why don’t you go back to sleep, do you want me to go get you some things from your place?” he said and I nodded “Okay, I’ll be back. Oh and dad said he’d swing by later to see you” he stated as he got up and I nodded watching him leave.

He returned with stuff for me and his dad came to see me before they both went home together, I woke up feeling really hot and sick. I pushed the covers from me and saw there was no water in my room so I buzzed for a nurse but after about 10 minutes nobody came. I decided to go get my own water, I pushed myself up getting to my feet feeling pain shoot through me from my stitches; I looked out the door but there was no one so I grabbed the jug heading out the door feeling dizzy but before I could even get half the way down the hall I leant up the wall feeling a lot worse.

I slid down the wall to sit and felt even hotter than before, I felt sick but the cold floor helped make me feel a bit better. I closed my eyes before I felt a hand push the long hair from my face “Summer, its Doctor Cooper. Why are you on the floor, why are you out of bed?” he asked and I know I answered him but for the life of me I couldn’t remember what I’d said to him.

He guided me up trying to walk me back to my room as he shouted but nobody came, I leant on him but tripped and he pulled me to a stop picking me up bridal style “Not professional but it’ll work. Lets get you to bed and then I’ll see what I can do for you” he mumbled and the next thing I knew I was on the bed. “Nurse!” he shouted but nothing and he kept pressing the emergency buzzer but nobody came.

“Okay what’s wrong Summer?” “Hot…I want water” I rambled and he nodded “You feel hot?” he asked taking my temperature “Your burning up, nurse!” he shouted the last bit. “Okay I think you’ve got an infection from the surgery, does anybody come when you shout in this place?” he asked looking around him before shouting again looking out the door.

“Right Summer, I shouldn’t do this on my own okay but well looks like I’m all your getting so are you okay to let me treat you alone?” he asked and I shrugged “No Summer, I need an answer, I shouldn’t do this without a nurse present to help but well they’re not answering me so I’ll do it on my own but I need your permission okay? I can do this on my own and you’ll be safe but I just need you to agree” he explained. I must’ve said yes because next thing I know he’s looking around for things and going to give me a shot.

“Stay still for me Summer, your doing great” he said as he grabbed another needle holding my arm down “I’m just going to get some fluids into you okay?” he informed before tapping my arm. “Come on! There’s a vein here somewhere I know” he mumbled tapping it again. I felt him push the needle in before pulling it out again, he did it a couple more times “Jesus Bradley come on find a vein” he scolded before sighing “Found one! Sorry about that, been awhile since I had to find one myself and well yours are well hidden,” he said.

He rushed around taking my temperature again, checking the IV and doing other tests, “Nurse get in here right now!” he shouted as someone walked past “Doctor Cooper you shouldn’t be…” “I wouldn’t have to if people answered when I shouted, now lets discuss this later and do our jobs right now shall we?” he snapped as the nurse appeared next to me.

“Look at that Summer you don’t have to put up with me talking away to you anymore, are you feeling better?” he asked and I nodded “Good, now just hang on in there Canning and I’ll have you fixed up” he said looking at my stitches before nodding. “Infection from the surgery, well I’ve given you a shot of antibiotics and put you on some fluids to re-hydrate you. Now I’ve got one more patient to just check up on but I’ll leave you with the nurse and then I’ll be back” he explained before leaving.