The Doctor Knows Best

4

I woke up the next morning to an empty room and I groaned pushing the hair from my face. Samuel turned up spending the morning with me when there was a knock on the door and I looked up to see Doctor Cooper “Hi Summer, sorry you’ve got company but I was just checking in to see if you were okay” he said and I nodded. “Doctor your supposed to be upstairs in the meeting” a nurse stated as she passed by “Yeah and I will be when I’ve done my job” he replied sarcastically.

“Okay well if your okay I’ll go do my thing, I swear I can never get away from this place. I get a day off and I’m down here for a disciplinary,” he grumbled and I looked at him “Disciplinary?” I asked and he nodded. “Only about last night, a couple of people are in trouble over it” “Oh I didn’t want anyone getting in trouble it was nothing” I cut in and he laughed.

“Nothing? Summer that’s not nothing, you were ignored by 4 nurses and 2 doctors were missing from the department to cover for others who’d gone on breaks that they weren’t supposed to be having. You were lucky; someone else might not be so lucky, they might come and talk to you but I doubt it. Anyway I better go because well I’m always late and today might be a good day to break the trend, see you” he said walking off and Samuel looked at me.

I explained what had happened and he looked shocked “Seriously? Nobody came to you, that’s bad Summer” “I know but I’m fine so it’s okay, I don’t want him getting in trouble though because its not his fault really is it” I answered and he shrugged. “When can I go home?” I asked and he stood up “I’ll go ask for you” he replied as he left.

“They say you’ve got to be here another 2 days but when you go home, I can stay with you for a bit or you can stay with us until your back to being normal” he offered and I smiled “I’ll be fine I’m sure” I answered. 2 days later and it was my last day of being in hospital, I got up putting all my stuff in the bag Samuel had brought for me last night when I decided to go find the doctor.

I saw a nurse and I stopped him “Can you tell me where Doctor Cooper is?” I asked and he smiled “Upstairs, take the elevator to the third floor and his office is the third on the right after the janitor’s closet, you’ll see it” he answered and I thanked him walking off.

I got out the elevator wandering down reading the doors until I found the janitor’s closet and then read Dr. B. Cooper. I knocked on the door “Come in!” he shouted and I opened the door as he turned to look up and he smiled “Summer what’s up?” he asked. “Oh well I get to go home tonight so I just wanted to say thanks” I admitted and he shook his head “No need, it’s my job” he replied. “Yeah but you kind of looked after me even when I was being a bit awkward, about the doctors lying comment I never…” “You meant it and it’s okay, we do lie, we do it for your own good though, if I told you that you were dying you’d panic and that’s not good for any of us” he explained smiling.

“Well still sorry and thank you” I stated and he nodded “So your feeling better now then?” he asked “Yeah loads, my head itches badly though” “That’s a good sign, my grandma would tell you it means its getting better. But seriously it’s fine that it’s doing that, I’m sorry about letting your boyfriend in he just kept asking and well you looked a bit lonely on your on” he admitted.

“Oh he’s not my boyfriend and thanks, I guess it was nice having someone there” “Oh sorry I just presumed” he stated and I shook my head. “So your getting discharged tonight then?” I nodded and he smiled “Well that’s good then, no more food or annoying company” he offered. “Oh you didn’t get in trouble over the other night did you?” I asked and he shook his head “Nope, I got told I shouldn’t have treated you alone but I explained and they just warned me. 2 nurses and 1 doctor got told off though but they kind of deserved it, I’m sorry that happened to you and I’m sorry I carried you like I did but I didn’t want you hurting yourself even more” he explained.

“Oh I don’t really remember it” I admitted and he laughed quietly “Yeah you were pretty unresponsive, at one point you begged me to not let you die, you weren’t going to die” he teased and I shook my head “I hate myself sometimes” “Don’t I’ve had worse said to me when patients are a bit out of it, anyway how’d you know to find me up here?” he asked.

“I asked a nurse” “Whoa you managed to find one? I’m joking, well look after yourself and take your medication. Use that bio-oil stuff on your scars and they’ll go, well however much I hope I don’t see you back here again I’ll say see you again” he replied and I nodded. “Bye” I said turning to leave, I shut the door behind me and wandered back down the hallway “Summer!” I heard someone shout and turned to see him in the hallway walking towards me.

“You said that guy’s not your boyfriend, well can I presume you don’t have one?” he asked and I nodded “So maybe we could go out for coffee sometime?” he suggested and I looked at him “You can say no because I’m not your doctor anymore so I won’t give you unnecessary shots” he joked and I smiled nodding. “That’s a yes?” “Yeah I guess” I replied and he smiled. “Cool well do you want to go out for coffee in a couple days time?” he asked “Yeah okay” I said giving him my number and he smiled at me.

“Well I guess I’ll see you then, keep safe,” he said turning and walking back to his office and I nodded going back to my room. 2 days later and my phone rang “Hello” I answered “Hey Summer its Bradley” a voice I recognised replied but I couldn’t place it “Bradley?” I asked and they laughed “Doctor Cooper, from the hospital” he stated and I smiled “Oh sorry, hi” I replied.

“Hey, so I was thinking if you’re still okay with it we could go get that coffee today?” he asked “Yeah sure” “Okay well I can meet you at the Starbucks in town at 12 if that’s good for you?” he suggested. “Yeah okay, I’ll see you at 12 then” “Yeah okay, bye” he said hanging up and I looked to see it was 10.30 already.

I got changed after showering before Samuel rang me as I walked towards the town centre, “Have you taken your tablets today?” he asked and I smiled “Yes Samuel I have, you don’t have to ring me every time I need to take them you know” I stated and he laughed “I do otherwise you’d forget to take them. How are you feeling anyway?” he said.

“Better, a lot better actually. It hurts when I stretch but they said it would do that anyway. How are you?” I asked “Good thanks and I’m glad your feeling better, I can come pick you up for church this week so you don’t have to walk” he offered. “Oh thanks Samuel, I need to go to work today as well just to let them know when I’ll be back” I admitted “Okay well I could drive you there as well if you want?” “No that’s fine I can walk there “ I replied.

“Okay, what you doing now?” “Oh just walking into town, you?” I asked “Not much really, going to help dad out on some home visits in a bit. Are you still coming over for dinner tonight?” “Yeah I’ll be there, so I’ll see you at your place at 5 yeah?” I said and he agreed saying bye and hanging up.