The Doctor Knows Best

7

2 weeks later and I had my outpatients appointment about my stitches and to make sure everything was okay “Summer where are you?” a voice asked as I answered the phone “At the hospital why?” “Because I’m just on my way out so wait at the main entrance for me, see you in a bit bye” they said hanging up and I smiled waiting where I was told.

I felt arms around my waist and I turned to see Bradley who smiled and kissed me “You okay?” I nodded “Busy shift today, I’ve had 2 broken arms, a dislocated knee and a traffic accident. But right now I’m all yours so lets go get you fixed up” he stated pushing his fingers through mine as he led me inside.

“Dr Cooper!” someone shouted as we walked out the elevator and he turned around “I’m not on shift anymore Emily, Doctor Arthurs is on now so go find her” he replied. “Oh I…okay. Why are you still here if you’re off shift?” she asked, “Summer has an appointment, I’ll see you next shift. Bye” he said turning back to walk off with me and I looked at him as he laughed.

“She’s one that got told off for that night when I found you” he explained and I nodded “I hate being in here, makes me edgy” I admitted as we sat down and he laughed “Your fine, I mean if you weren’t do you really think I’d let you go on if you were ill? I’d have you on shots and everything if I thought something was wrong with you; your healthy and all they’ll do is check your vitals, give you a quick scan and then take the stitches out. If they ask how the others went remember…” “I don’t remember” I lied and he smiled at me kissing me.

“Good girl, if they found out I took them out I’d be in big ass trouble, literally dead” he whispered and I laughed at him kissing his cheek. Truth was 2 of my stitches in my stomach had miraculously disappeared, I’d had a pain in my stomach where they were and it felt like the skin was being pulled really tight and pinching and he found out and checked it over before taking 2 of the stitches out.

Something to do with them being a bit too tight and pulling the skin too much, he took them out himself but if they found out he’d be in trouble for it. “Well now you say that I’ll tell them” I joked and he laughed “You would just to see me get told off, fine Summer get me in trouble but they’ll not let me leave my residency” he replied and I smiled.

They shouted my name and he kissed my cheek before I got up walking in and the doctor smiled at me. She checked me over before looking at my stitches “What happened to these?” she asked and I looked out the window “Oh I don’t know why?” I said and she stayed quiet before looking at me.

“Well you appear to have stitches missing, do you know what happened to them?” she stated and I shook my head “Probably something my friends did when I was drunk” I lied and she nodded “Well you shouldn’t be drinking on your medication” “I know sorry” I replied and she nodded taking them out. She agreed to see me in a month’s time and let me leave.

I walked out to see Bradley asleep in the chair and I rolled my eyes, I noticed the couple who’d been in the waiting room walk in the room I’d just been in together so I smiled at them before kicking Bradley’s foot and he jumped looking at me. “Sorry did I go to sleep?” “Yeah you did, come on,” I said and he laughed getting up.

“Sorry honey but when you work like I do, you get used to power napping; come on lets go” he mumbled getting up and walking off with me. “Did she ask about the stitches?” he asked as I drove through town “Yeah, I said it was something my friends did when drunk” “You don’t drink,” he answered and I nodded.

“She doesn’t know that, she told me off for drinking on my medication anyway. Can I stop taking them now?” I asked and he nodded “Should be safe to, come off them for 3 or 4 day and then we’ll see” he replied and I smiled at him. We got back to my place and he crashed out on the couch making me laugh “Your so lazy” “Says Mrs ‘stay at home and read books’” he replied and I smiled.

“Shut up Cooper!” “You shut up Canning! Anyway when do I get to call you Doctor Canning?” he shouted as I walked off and I smiled “6 months to a year” I replied as I walked back in to him and he smiled at me “Well that’ll be cool, 2 doctors hey” he said and I nodded.

I sat at his side and he put his arm around my neck “Remember you said you knew things about me but wouldn’t tell me, how about you tell me now?” he asked and I shrugged “Come on Summer, I’m dying to know what you think about me” “Well there’s what I think about you and what I read about you” I stated. “Tell me, I won’t be mad I promise” he offered holding his pinkie out and I groaned hooking mine around his.

“Okay but you won’t like it I warn you” “Shut up and talk, I like to hear things about me” he said and I shook my head leaning back into the chair “Well you always talk about how you have pushy parents but you never mention your dad, always your mom” “And?” he asked and I smiled. “I have two theories,” I admitted and he laughed putting his arm tighter around my neck and resting his head on mine.

“Either your dad wasn’t around much when you were little or just never really bonded with you so you don’t feel pressure to make him happy at all but you do your mom. Or you’re a lot closer to your dad and you know he doesn’t expect too much of you but your mother and you aren’t close and she never accepts things from you so you constantly try to make her proud of you” I explained and he squeezed my neck before laughing “You really think that?” he said and I nodded.

“I could be wrong both times, I’m not amazing at this sort of thing…” “Your right, I’m close to my dad not my mom; she was one of them business mom’s. It was cool for a bit but when I had to rely on my dad for everything I realised my mom wasn’t really doing the proper job as a parent. Hey are you good at the advice thing?” he asked and I nodded.

“I feel bad for asking you, like I’m getting free therapy” he admitted and I laughed “You took my stitches out, I owe you one” I replied and he laughed before sighing “After my residency I can move, they’re offering me a place back home but New York is too close to my parents. The money is amazing but the place isn’t, or I could try for a place where I am now. The money won’t be as good as New York though,” he said and I let it fall silent.

“Money or happiness Bradley, that’s what you need to work out. You say you came into medicine because of parents and the money, I don’t believe you because you’re a good doctor. You care and that’s not what someone who wants the money would do,” I answered and he nodded.

“Anyway less of this playing shrink game,” he stated moving my face to look at him and kissing me. There was a knock at the door and I got up to answer it “Oh hey Samuel” I said smiling “Are you coming over for dinner tonight? My parents are expecting to see you seeing as you had your stitches out today” he replied.

“Oh well erm I guess I could” “Whose are the shoes?” he asked and I followed his gaze to see Bradley’s shoes “Oh erm, come in” I stated and he followed me into the lounge to see Bradley asleep again. I rolled my eyes smiling; he was cute when he slept. He curled himself up wherever he had fallen asleep and seemed to snuggle into whatever was closest to him, which was currently the cushion on the couch.