Status: I'm not writing that frequently at the moment, but I'm trying. I'd love some comments, or any kind of feedback! :D

Accept Me or Except Me

Birthday - Lee

“So what are we gonna do today?” I asked Matt, while lying on my bed and indulging myself with British candies.

“We’ve been shopping; we’ve been to see the London Eye, Buckingham Palace and Big Ben –”

“The clock tower,” I corrected him while sitting up. “Big Ben,” I continued in between mouthfuls, “is the bell inside.”

Matt sighed. We’d been stuck in the hotel room all morning thinking of something to do. We didn’t have any clue where Laurence was and we didn’t have any leads as of yet. Saying that, we hadn’t exactly been looking for any. We were just happy to have a look around London.

“Billy fucking Elliot.” I announced suddenly. “We’ve been in London for four days now and we still haven’t been to see one single show.”

“To the theater!” laughed Matt.

* * *

Later that evening, Matt took me to a little Italian restaurant just off Oxford Street. The walls were maroon and wood paneled and the tables were all covered with white cloths. A handsome waiter came to lead us to our seats and to take our order.

“I just want to assure you, this is not a date,” Matt laughed after we’d ordered. “I just wanted to treat you to a romantic meal since Danny can’t be with you on your birthday.”

I couldn’t believe I’d forgotten my own birthday. Matt could probably tell by the look on my face. Without hesitating, I took out my phone and called my boyfriend.

“Happy birthday,” answered Danny.

“I swear there is something wrong with me. After all the hype of going to London and everything, I completely forgot.”

“Don’t worry, Lee, shit happens. I was just about to have lunch, actually. Are you having a good day?”

“Yeah, Matt’s taken me to a nice restaurant and we’re going to see Billy Elliot later. What about you?”

“I’m back on the football team!”

“That’s great,” I smiled. “Well, I’ve got to go. Since now I know it’s my birthday, I’m going to get myself the most fattening foods on the menu.”

“See you soon,” said Danny before hanging up.

Matt and I enjoyed our meal, exchanging a few comments on the food, the restaurant and London in general. Then came the part I was dreading. The staff all started singing ‘Happy Birthday’, and a cake was presented in front of me. I laughed in embarrassment and blew the candles out before it could get any worse.

“Come on, Lee, eat it. Otherwise we’ll be late.”

* * *

After that eventful meal, we took the tube to Victoria Station. We then emerged to see the Apollo Victoria building, which was covered with emeralds. It was breath-taking.

“Are you sure we can’t change our tickets? I want to see Wicked,” I sighed.

“You’re so gay, I swear to God.”

We turned the corner, and there it was. Covering the Victoria Palace Theatre was ‘Billy Elliot’ in big, red, chunky letters. Next to it was a dashing image of a boy dancer. The sign alone was enough to give me shivers.

Once we were inside the building, I was surrounded by people selling merchandise, programs and delicious sweets.

“Oi, Lee,” called Matt over the buzz. “Come here.”

Matt dragged me away from the crowd and into an atmosphere with a lower, calmer noise. I looked around to see the bar, before being pushed on a bar stool.

“What are we doing here, Matt, I –”

“We’re in England. You’re eighteen,” Matt told me. I still wasn’t catching on. “Have some beer! You’re legal, you idiot.”

Other than the drinks I’d had at Alice’s party, I hadn’t drank much, so this was all really exciting. Remembering that night, I swore not to have too much. Instead of the beer, I asked for some red wine. Matt rolled his eyes once again.

“Shut up, Matt. Embrace your homosexuality!” I exclaimed.

After showing the barmaid my passport as ID, I spent the next few minutes enjoying my drink. From the corner of my eye I could see Matt slip his number to the barmaid, but I think my remark may have foiled his plans this time.

A warning sounded that the show was about to begin, so we hurried to the auditorium. Since we’d only bought the tickets today, we didn’t have the best seats. We were right in the front row, so we had to crane our necks to see anything. I’d forgotten that people smoke a lot in this show, too, so the cigarette smoke kept drifting our way for the entire performance.

About halfway through the first act, I thought I could see a familiar face in the ensemble, but I couldn’t put my finger on it, so I didn’t say anything. I looked over at Matt. He looked a bit nervous. Still, I didn’t think anything of it.

As the lights came up for the intermission, Matt turned to me and said, “Did you see him?”

“See who?”

“Laurence. He’s in the chorus.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Today is the day for updates and clichés. Yay! Sorry for not updating sooner, blah blah blah.

Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed in the last chapter, the character who used to be called "Jake" is now called "Joshua" because someone I know in real life is called Jake and frankly, I don't want to paint the real one in a bad light, so yah.

So give me feedback. Please. Talk to me, comment, whatever. :D