‹ Prequel: Come Wake Me Up
Status: finished. look out for the third story.

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

not over you.

I let out a laugh as Grace knocks over the customer’s drink. “You are incredible,” I tease, tossing her a towel as she apologizes profusely.
“Sorry I’m not a professional like you!” she shoots back. I smile widely and pull the bottle of Malibu to continue making the pina colada ordered by the blonde playboy bunny sitting on her catch of the night’s lap.
Straddling is a better word.
The door to the already busy bar rings signaling more customers. “I’m glad they doubled up tonight.” Grace heads over to the two men that just walked in.
I nod in agreement and head over for the second group that came in. “Hey, boys, what can I get you?” I greet.
“Can I get rum and coke, heavy on the rum,” the first orders.
“Sure thing, babe. What about you?” I turn to the next face, and it looks slightly familiar, but that could be because I’ve seen them here before.
“Vodka tonic.”
“Vodka tonic? That’s a chick’s drink,” his friend chimes in.
Naturally, I know his friend.
Even more naturally, his friend is Jack. And Zack. And Rian. And Alex.
“So, tequila for you,” I begin, pointing to Jack, “and then beers all around.”
“Fuck you,” Jack laughs. I smile as he hugs me across the bar. “Great to see you, Gin.”
“You, too, Jack. I’ll be right up with your drinks.”
In the middle of making the drinks, I realize the guy I couldn’t place a name for is Flyzik, their tour manager. Their other friend, though, I know I’ve never met.

I soon come to learn his name is Danny, and I also learn that he is quite the partier. “Ri, you got to get him off the table,” I groan. Zack pulls him down. “You guys are rowdy tonight.” I apologize for another complaint and offer a free cocktail to the couple that’s complaining. Again.
“It’s a college bar, Gin,” Jack slurs, lightly pushing my shoulder. He almost falls from his lack of balance. I roll my eyes.
“It’s a Wednesday night, Jack.” He lets out a laugh.
“Beer me.”
I ignore him and tend to the man who just finished his drink. I replace it and then return to the boys, who’ve begun chanting for me. “Guys, shut the fuck up,” I snap. “I get it, you missed me. But if you get me fired, I’m going to kill you all remorselessly.” Jack’s mouth snaps shut and he covers Zack’s mouth.
“Shut up, asshole,” he whispers loudly. Zack explodes in laughter, which causes another round of rowdiness to begin.
“Virginia,” Hayley, our manager calls. I throw the boys a dirty look before retreating to the kitchen. “You’re going to have to ask them to leave.”
“Got it.”
I hate Hayley. A lot.
I quickly head back to the bar. “Guys, you need to shut up or leave,” I threaten.
“Rian just decided it was bed time,” Jack informs me, his finger thrust towards Rian, waiting by the door with keys twirling around his finger.
They all finally leave.
“Where’d everyone go?” I hear.
You’ve got to be kidding me.
Alex stumbles up to the bar, confused as anything and eyes already drooping closed. “Go home, Gin. I’ve got the last few people,” Grace orders, pushing me towards the exit of the bar. “He’s needs you more than you need to be here.”
“Are you sure?” I ask her.
She nods, and I exit the bar, Alex’s arm slung over my shoulder. “Where are we going?” he wonders, looking around widely.
“Home, Alex. You’re an idiot.”
“Home? Are we having sex?”
We make it to my car, and I drop his arm, walking around to the passenger side. “Absolutely not. You’re wasted, and we’re not together.”
“Oh, come on. That’s never stopped you.” I feel my jaw clench. “You know you love it.”
“Stop talking, Alex, or I’m leaving you to fend for yourself.” He scoffs and crosses his arms tightly over his chest.
“You wouldn’t leave me. You love me still. I’m not stupid.” I glare at him.
“Get over it,” I mutter.
We pull up to my apartment, and Alex is struggling to even make it through the door. “What the fuck are you doing?” Rachel questions, rushing over to catch the falling over Alex. “Are you crazy?”
“He’s not going to know how he got here,” I assure.
“No, but he’ll know where he is.”
“And we’ll both be gone by the time he does. I’ve got class tomorrow, and you have work in the morning.” She walks Alex over to the couch and lets him collapse on it.
“Fine. I’m going to bed. Make sure he doesn’t puke all over the carpet.
I head into the kitchen and return to Alex with a glass of water, a bottle of advil, a pack of crackers, and a pot in case he pukes. “Rachel hates me,” he states, his eyes almost closed.
“With good reason.” I stand up to leave, but I feel a hand grab mine to stop me.
“I love you, Virginia.” I bite my lip and look away for a moment, dropping Alex’s hand. “And I know you love me, too.”
“I know.”
With that, I turn and head for bed, my head still spinning with emotions and things I wish I had said back but couldn’t.
Like ‘I love you, too.’
♠ ♠ ♠
if you asked me how i'm doing,
i would say i'm doing just fine.
i would lie and say that
you're not on my mind.