‹ Prequel: Come Wake Me Up
Status: finished. look out for the third story.

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

remind me.

I didn’t hear from Alex after that night three weeks ago. Until today. My twenty-third birthday. And it’s mainly out of my control since Rachel decided she wanted to throw a party for me, and the only place anyone would offer was Jack’s home. Which is also Alex’s home.
So, here I am getting ready for a party that I don’t want to attend at my ex-boyfriend’s house. Rachel’s decided to dress me in a glittery red dress that ends just below my ass, crosses over my left shoulder, and has two small matching cutouts on each side. The outfit is complete with black pumps, curled hair, and makeup fit for a porn star.
But I must say, I actually look pretty hot.
Fuck you, Alex.

“And another shot for the birthday girl!” Jack hollers, pouring tequila into a shot glass. The crowd cheers as I pound the shot back.
“Atta girl!” Rian pats my back and then wraps his arm around me. “Happy birthday, Virginia!”
“Thanks, Ri!” I press my lips to his cheek before stumbling away to socialize more, engage in more provocative dancing, and ingest more alcohol.
I drunkenly find my way into the arms I’ve missed most, my arms flung around his neck. “Alex, I’ve…I’ve missed you.” I hiccup. “Like, a—a lot.”
He chuckles, brushing some crazed curls out of my face. “Virginia, you’re very drunk,” he reasons. I nod furiously with a smile.
“Can we go somewhere?” I bite my lip, running my hands down his chest and wrapping them around his waist.
He glances around, meeting eye contact with someone before unwrapping my arms from around him and leading me out of the room and out of the house. I smile and look up at the sky. “It’s beautiful,” Alex comments, looking up too. I nod in agreement, my body swaying slightly from the alcohol.
I turn to look at Alex. “Alex?”
“Yeah, babe?” He looks at me, realizes what he said, and quickly looks away.
I suppress my smile. “Why did you do it?”
“Do what?”
“Kiss her. When I was right there.”
He frowns and shrugs. “I was really drunk, Virginia. I don’t even remember doing it, just like you won’t remember this conversation tomorrow morning.”
I frown and try wrapping my arms around him. He catches my arms and forces them back to my sides. “Alex, I want to kiss you,” I whine.
“We can’t do this, Virginia.”
“Why not? We’re both drunk!” I cross my arms tightly over my chest.
“No, I’m not drunk. I haven’t had a drink all night.”
“Why?” My question is drawn out and whiny.
“Why? Because I know you, Virginia, and I knew you’d get this drunk. I wanted to make sure you were safe.”
“You still care about me. You still love me,” I taunt, dancing around him and finally slinging my arms around his neck. He sighs and grasps my waist. “Alex, please,” I plead, leaning closer to him.
“You shouldn’t be wanting this,” he mutters. His breathe is hot on my lips, and it makes my heart race. “You should hate me.”
“I don’t.”
I press my lips to his, and I feel him hesitate before kissing back hungrily. “God, I fucking missed this,” he admits.

I awake in the morning to rays of sunlight fighting to break through the shades. I feel an arm around my waist, and I take a deep breath, bracing myself before sitting up.
My stomach churns with the movement, and I lean my arms on my knees after throwing my legs over the side of the bed. I feel movement behind me, but the severity of the nausea discards my concerns.
“You alright?”
I close my eyes tightly and take in a long slow breath. “Yeah,” I sigh. I slowly push myself to my feet and begin gathering my clothes. “Will you take me home?”
He nods. “Do you want to borrow some sweats?”
“Please.” He opens the closet and pulls out a pair of grey sweats and his band’s t-shirt. “Thank you.”
The rest of the time until arriving at my apartment is quiet between us.
“Thanks for the ride,” I mutter as I step out of the car.
“Virginia, wait.”
I hesitate but end up leaning down into the car to see his face. His tired, distressed, sorry face.
“I’m sorry.”
“I know.” It falls awkwardly silent for a moment. “I guess I’ll see you around, Alex…thanks for taking care of me last night.”
I shut the door and head for my apartment, only turning to see his shocked face as I wave goodbye and close the door behind me.
I remember every single bit of last night. From the kiss, to him refraining from doing anything more than that one kiss and making sure I get to bed safely. I wasn’t as drunk as he thought. I just wanted to feel the way I felt back then.
♠ ♠ ♠
i miss the way that it felt back then;
i wanna feel that way again.
been so long, bet you forget
the way i used to kiss your neck.