‹ Prequel: Come Wake Me Up
Status: finished. look out for the third story.

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

exits and entrances.

“So, let me get this straight. You drunkenly, but intentionally, kissed him and tried to sleep with him, but he told you no.”
I nod, and Rachel’s eyebrows fly up. “What?” I question her reaction.
“You know what this means, right? Gin, he turned down sex with you. You slept naked next to him, and he didn’t try shit. He’s over you.” I bite my lip and look away from her. “Oh my god, you don’t want him to be.”
“I never said that.”
“You don’t have to! You’re still in love with him.” Rachel crosses her arms in a matter-of-fact manner.
“He impacted my life, Rach. What the hell do you want me to do? Just automatically stop caring about him?”
“You were separated for five months. He called you one night to let you know he was about to have sex with someone and—“
“He never did,” I cut her off. “Rachel, what’s up? You’ve been really supportive of me up until now. I don’t get it.”
“You guys aren’t ever getting back together, Gin! You just need to face that.”
She turns around and walks away, her bedroom door slamming shut behind her. I frown and roll my eyes, turning for the door.

I mix my coffee with the small plastic straw when the door to the café rings. I take a glance up, and wouldn’t you know who walks right in. I quickly focus back in on my phone sitting on the table. “I’ll take a large coffee—black.”
He only drinks black coffee when he’s frustrated. That’s something we have in common. “Rough day?” the barista questions.
“You’ve no idea,” he sighs.
“You and the girl over there might get along then.”
Fuck me.
I hear Alex turn around. “Virginia?” he questions. I shut my eyes in defeat and turn to look at him.
“Hey,” I greet half-heartedly. The barista hands him his coffee, and he heads towards the door. “Alex,” I call. He stops and looks at me. “Can we talk?”
He glances at his watch and then nods. “Yeah, I’ve got some time to kill. We’ve got a photo shoot today.”
I nod and watch him take a seat. “Did something happen between you and Rachel last night?” He releases a sigh.
“She made it extremely clear that she doesn’t want to see me within a mile of you.” He shrugs and looks down at his coffee. “I can’t do that, Virginia, and I know you can’t either.”
“I know,” I mutter.
“I miss you.”
I purse my lips for a moment and glance out the window. “We can’t do this, Alex.”
“Why not? Because your best friend told you so? Shouldn’t she want what makes you happy?”
“And how do you know that’s you?”
“Don’t bullshit me. I know you remember last night.”
“Most of it.”
“You remember kissing me.”
I sigh and nod, mixing my coffee some more. Even though there’s no point. There’s just one sugar in it, and it’s well dissolved by now.
“I don’t know how to make it clearer. I want you back.” He sounds desperate at this point. “I fucked up, and I’ve never regretted anything more in my life.”
“I was standing right there. I know you fucked up,” I hiss.
“I don’t know how to say I’m sorry anymore than I already have. I don’t know what to do to prove it to you, Virginia. I’m in fucking love with you still.”
I frown. “You can’t be, Alex. We’re not supposed to get back together. This can’t happen.”
“And who said this? You’re best friend who’s been trying to get with me since day one?”
“Don’t insult my best friend, Alex!” I snap, slamming my hands down on the table.
“I would never insult her; you know that! Virginia, don’t tell me you didn’t see it since day one.”
“She was jealous I was in a relationship. Guys are really put off by her forwardness. That’s all it is.”
Alex lets out a laugh and shakes his head. “No, she’s jealous of you because you were with me. After you went to bed last night, she tried hooking up with me.”
I study his face. I know when he’s lying, but I can’t find a single tell of his. “You’re telling the truth.” My voice exposes my shock.
“I’d never lie to you, Virginia. If you want proof, there’s photo evidence. I begged everyone not to tell you because I know how much she means to you.” He pulls out his phone and pulls up a picture. And there it is, plain as day. Rachel behind Alex, arms reaching around him and hands on his chest, her head leaning towards him and his leaning away from her. His body is leaned away from her, and one of his hands his pushing against her hip.
“She’s my other half…well, at least she was.” I run a hand through my hair. “Are you sure she just wasn’t really drunk?”
He shrugs. “Does it matter?”
“Well, I’ve officially been betrayed by the two people that mean the most to me.” Alex frowns as I run a hand through my hair again. “Now what do I do?”
He shrugs. “That’s your decision. Just remember who told you we could never be together again.” He rises from his seat and heads out of the café.
I sit there in pure confusion, betrayal, and astonishment. “If it’s of any consolation, I’ve never seen someone look at a girl the way he looks at you,” the barista chimes in. I look at her, and she offers up a smile and a shrug.

I don’t go home for a while. I spend a good few hours browsing the stores down the street, eating at some weird pizza place, and avoiding texts from Rachel about when I’ll be home.
My phone lights up with a different name this time. I open the text and read it.
‘let me take you out tonight. somewhere nice.’
♠ ♠ ♠
i know the way this plays out,
but i couldn't find the words to tell you.
and you thought that everytime she would never tell a lie,
but believing a liar is feeding the fire.