Time to Dance

When I Grow Up

(Lyra's POV)

"Maybe I have nothing left to say to you." I replied about to head into the kitchen.

"You might not but I have plenty to say to you." Nonnie responded.

"Lyra, be nice. I will be in the kitchen. Just yell if there is a fight." Alex said patting me on the back and walking away.

It was just me and Nonnie. At first there was this awkward silence. Part of me wanted to yell at her for the way she treated Josh but I knew better. I can be nice but only for Josh. I still don't have to like Nonnie.

"Look, I want you to take care of Josh. You kind of broke his heart in the beginning." Nonnie said breaking the ice.

"Oh, I did? What do you call going out with his brother?" I slammed back.

"Josh and I weren't working out. He knew it and I knew if before he was even turned. I think we were both just to scared to tell each other how we really felt at first. You see Lyra, you broke his heart but Josh never stopped caring about you. I could see it in his eyes with the way he always looked at you. You just had no idea." Nonnie answered crossing her arms.

"I was messed up. I wasn't myself at the time." I threw back at her.

"Right. If you want to call being under Dimitri's spell messed up." Nonnie rolled her eyes.

"Listen here. You don't know anything about me or what I went through. Until you have two fangs protrude onto your neck against your will and a voice inside your head telling you what to do then talk to me. I pushed Josh away. I paid for that seeing him with you but things are going to be different now." I fired back. I was not going to stand here and have her criticize me for mistakes I admit I did that is in the past now.

"You are right. I don't know exactly what you went through but I sure saw how you acted and I didn't like it. Look, we don't have to like each other ok, but I just want you to know that Josh is still my friend and I don't want to see him hurt. But, I also know how much he loves you and I know you love him too. Don't hurt him ok?" Nonnie said leaving me alone in the living room.

"Don't worry, I won't." I whispered to myself. The nerve of her. At least I don't date his brother behind his back.

"Hey, you are in once piece." Josh said sneaking in and wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Vampires." I shook my head and sighed as Josh had caught me off guard. I can feel him now that he has bitten me but I was distracted thinking about what Nonnie had said that I let the sneakiness catch me off guard.

"What? Did I say something wrong?" Josh asked concerned as I turned around, still in his arms.

"No. You do everything just right." I said kissing him.

I was going to see to it that our relationship worked. After last night I am a changed girl. I am no longer the spoiled, daddy's girl who always gets her way. No, this time I am a girl who has had her eyes opened to the real world, ready to step out and protect what she loves most.