Time to Dance

Down But Not Out

(Nate's POV)

"Alex, stop!" I said grabbing her wrists.

"You bit me! You're one of them! Dimitri was right about you!" She screamed as she kneed me in the groin.

Ouch. I was almost down for the count. Not only was I feeling pain from the hit, but from Alex's words but she wasn't herself. She had to still be somewhat under Dimitri's control. I had to get through her.

"Stop, Alex!" I said as slammed her against her against the wall. "Listen to me!" I yelled.

"No! Let me go!" She said knocking me back onto the only dresser in this tiny apartment. I went flying into it, making the television that was propped up on it, shatter into pieces as I knocked it off along with the mirror that was also attached. I heard the sound of glass and moved right as Alex was about to stake me with a piece from the mirror.

"Alexandra!" I replied trying to dodge her advances until she stopped.

I looked at Alex confused at first. The glass shard that was in her hands was now pointed at her stomach and Alex no longer looked at me. She looked down at herself.

"I can end this all. I can make it all stop in my head. I won't hurt anyone and the next slayer will be called who might be stronger than I am." Alex spoke softly.

"Don't do this. Alex please." I begged her as she pushed the piece of glass closer to her shirt. Blood was starting to form on her right hand from the pressure of her squeezing the glass shard tightly. I could smell it. Alex's blood was intoxicating but I had to push those thoughts down. That was the monster in me.

"Tell me why I shouldn't. The voice in my head will stop. Everything will stop. I won't come after you. Just temporarily I can keep Dimitri away." Alex said looking at me.

"You shouldn't because I love you. Don't you see what will happen if you do this? Look at me Alexandra!" I said as I kept inching closer to her.

"Don't come any closer!" She said pushing the glass up against her now. "I will do it!"

"No, you won't. You don't want your family to go through losing you. They are fighting to protect you. Alex, you know this is wrong. You know we have to fight to stay alive. We have to fight to stop Dimitri. Don't you see that you are playing right into his hands?" I said now worried that maybe I am not the one who can get through to Alex.

"Nate, I...I," Alex replied as she dropped the shard and I caught it as I was now standing in front of her. This wave of relief crossed my forehead.

"I can hear you." Alex looked up half smiling. "Sorry about the tv." Alex replied totally changing the topic at hand as she looked around to the mess on the floor.

"After what just happened, you're worried about the tv?" I half laughed in shock.

"Yeah, I guess I am." She smiled again.

"Sit." I said placing Alex on the bed. "I'm going to get some bandages from the first aid kit." I replied shaking my head. My Alex was back or at least I think she was.