Time to Dance

New Perspective

I pulled into the diner where my friends and I all used to play in the band and the paparazzi left us alone. I realized that I hadn't been here in awhile; not since Nate brought me here after a fight I had when I was dating Dean. It was before we broke up and sparks started to fly between Nate and I. That was the day Nate and I shared our first kiss.

"Well hello darlin." Alice greeted me. "What are you doing here this late at night and with a new friend?" She asked eyeing Jace up and down like he was a criminal before seating us in a booth. I held in a laugh.

"Well you know, I couldn't sleep and being the daughter of a rock star, I'm followed everywhere. This is the one place I can hang out paparazzi free." I said making Alice, our waitress feel at ease.

"Darn right. I kick those idiots far away from here." Alice beamed.

"You are working pretty late yourself." I said to Alice concerned.

"Well, I am covering for another waitress and I needed the money." Alice replied.

"Alice," Jace grabbed her arm, "Do watch out." "There are terrible things out at night. Don't work after dark again until it's safe." He compelled her. Alice just nodded her head as if she understood.

"So two specials?" Alice asked snapping out of her daze.

"Actually, I don't..." I cut Jace off.

"Two specials would be great!" I smiled, kicking Jace's leg. "Act normal." I said through gritted teeth as I smiled.

"Two specials coming right up!" Alice smiled as she took off to place our order.

"What was that for?" Jace asked. "I don't eat."

"I know. I do and for the record, I'm starving. One burger isn't going to do me. Slaying makes me hungry. Therefore I am eating your special." I answered.

Jace and I sat in silence for a few minutes before I broke it. "Thanks for what you did with Alice." I smiled as I pulled a strand of hair behind my right ear.

"She seemed important to you. It was nothing." He nervously smiled.

"So what's your story?" I asked as Alice brought us our food.

"I don't understand." Jace replied.

"Why are you a vampire?" I asked. Jace fidgeted in his seat.

"I had a family once. Alex, I'm 200 years old. I'm old enough to be like your great great great something." He stopped.

"Dimitri killed my family. I watched them die as I lay there dying. I was powerless to stop him. I heard their screams. I had a sister and a brother like you. I may be a monster but I still remember everything as if it was yesterday." Jace spoke.

"I didn't ask to be turned. It just happened. I cowardly drank and I guess now I will get what I deserve. When I turned all I wanted to do was live for the kill but I hated Dimitri with a passion for what he did to my family. I knew I wasn't good like how your boyfriend Nate turned out but I wanted revenge. It was one thing to do what he did to me but my family was a whole different story.

I don't exactly work for Dimitri as you may think I do either. I might have started working for him but I broke away only to be swept back into his army against my will. If he knew what I was doing I would be killed instantly. I am more rogue as I try not to cross his path. I want to help you guys win." Jace replied.

"So you are doing this all because you now want revenge?" I said finishing up Jace's burger.

"Well, there is that and you too." He said taking me off guard.

"I wanted to kill you that night I first met you at the school. You were the slayer so it was a natural instinct. It's bred into all of us vampires to know about the slayer. Just as you sense us, we sense you. I was curious at first and thinking what would happen if I killed you. But then you grew on me. I followed you at times and watched you from afar." Jace explained.

"You stalked me?" I said angrily.

"Well, let me finish." Jace pleaded.

"No, it wasn't like that. You fascinated me. Out of all the years I have been alive and all the slayers in the past I had ever run into, Alex you were different. I have never seen a slayer with so much love who was willing to do anything to save the ones she loves. Most slayers gave up too easily. I gave up drinking human blood for you. I want you to trust me." He said pushing his plate of fries my way after I finished mine.

"I know you will never love me but you have changed me somehow. Just let me make up for all the wrong I have done in the past and help you." Jace pleaded again.

"This is so not me." I sighed. "You did save my life twice. I guess I will give you a chance but I am warning you now that if I ever find that you double crossed me, I will come after you." I replied letting him know that I will not let my guard down on him. I was however becoming a bit softer towards Jace.

"Jeeze, that's alot of food you ate." Jace laughed.

"I told you I was hungry." I laughed as I drank his cherry coke.