Time to Dance

Happy Birthday

I survived another day of school. Nate was taking me home again today. This time, I asked him to come over because I was afraid of stepping in the house alone. Will rode over to Bailey's house and Lizzie was heading over to Alison and Casey's. I reminded her this morning to check on Lyra while she was there because she had been going home early and wasn't acting like her normal self.

I unlocked the front door and walked into an empty house. Mom and Dad were not home. I did manage to find a note on the kitchen table.

Alex,
Your father and I have left to run a few errands for a new band that he has signed to his label. Erelin said that she will fix you anything you want to eat for your birthday. Happy Birthday, sweetheart.

Love,
Mom and Dad.

"Well, it looks like I am having dinner at your house tonight. My mom wasn't lying to me. This is a first that I am not having some sort of party." I said walking back to my room.

"So you want to head over there now?" Nate asked.

"Actually, I think I am going to shower and change. I just felt icky today at school. It was so hot out." I said laying out some clothes and shooing Nate to wait for me in the living room.

I showered and got ready and walked in the living room. "Wow, you look amazing." He said as I was wearing some blue jean capris and a black beatles tshirt with my hair pulled into a ponytail and slight makeup on.

I rolled my eyes and said, "You seem to always say that anymore." He grinned. We talked for a bit until time slipped by us and Nate looked at his watch.

"We better get before mom calls my cell phone wondering if we had dinner elsewhere." Nate replied.

We walked over to his house and as soon as we stepped in, the lights flicked on and I heard a "Surprise", from everyone.

When I mean everyone, I mean everyone. The whole Fall Out Boy clan and of course Nate's parents were all here except for my parents. Even my brother and sister were here.

"Ok, where is mom and dad?" I asked.

"They had some errands to run. We couldn't wait any longer." Aunt Erelin replied.

"Dean, I am glad you made it." I said as I walked over to him.

"Yeah, whatever." He said walking away.

I know he is hurt. He found out yesterday about me dating Nate. If only Dean would talk to me like he used to maybe this wouldn't hurt so bad.

"We all know that you hate partied but..." Uncle Brendon replied.

"It's ok." I laughed. "You really got me this time. I actually thought that maybe I wasn't going to have a party this year." I smiled.

"I can't believe you knew!" I said playfully smacking Dean's arm.

"Do you know how hard it was for me to keep this from you?" He grinned.

"Aww, one of my babies is growing up. Brendon go grab the camera!" Erelin said seeing how happy Nate and I were.

"No, mom, that is ok." Nate said.

"Nonsense. I want a picture of you two together." She said with Nate getting a little embarassed.

"Say cheese." Brendon replied as Nate and I posed.

"Cheese." We said.

"See that didn't kill you." Erelin laughed.

"Well, we have your presents but let's eat first." Uncle Patrick said leading us to Erelin's kitchen.

"Shouldn't we wait for mom and dad?" I asked.

"Oh, honey, they will be here." Uncle Joe replied.

Dean did look up at me one time with worry on his face. He was being nicer and talking to the group other then me and Nate. At least that was a start.

"Hey, I want to play something for you. You know how I have been writing new music for the band?" Nate asked.

"Yeah." I said as Nate snuck me away to his room.

"Well, I thought that you could sing it with me. Maybe you should join the band again." Nate said sitting down in front of his keyboard.

"No. Nate, we discussed this and besides, Kayla deserves this. I don't want to take away her dreams of being famous like her dad." I said.

"Well, here. I will sing and play you what I have so far." He said as I sat on his bed.

Nate sang to me the most beautiful love song I think I have ever heard. It almost made me cry. I went to hug him when Erelin and Brendon barged into Nate's room along with Lizzie and Will.

"Will, Lizzie, what's wrong?" I asked seeing tears form on Lizzie's face and worry and shock on Nate's parents. Then I saw Kayla and heard everyone else start to follow to Nate's room. Nate grabbed my right hand knowing something was about to be said we weren't going to like.

"Alex, there has been an accident." Brendon started. I looked at Nate.

"Your parents were hit by a drunk driver they believe." Brendon kept going.

"No." I barely got out.

"Your mom is in the hospital. We need to get there. She isn't doing so well. Your dad is missing along with the drunk driver." Erelin finished.

"No! What? Wait, how is dad missing? Are they out there trying to find him?" I asked frantically as Nate grabbed me to try and calm me down.

"The police are searching the area. They found lots of blood near the driver side. Honey, the reason they were late is because they were out buying you a new car for your birthday They wanted to surprise you. This is terrible." Erelin replied as I marched out with Nate following me.

I couldn't hear anymore. I had to get to the hospital. I had to see my mother but also I felt like I just wanted to be left alone. I wanted to vomit. This couldn't be real. This was not happening.

I now was suddenly wishing I had both my mom and dad here to comfort me but that wasn't possible. We got to Nate's car and I broke down. Nate held me for a few minutes.

"What if my dad is hurt and tried to get help but is laying somewhere?" I asked with tears falling.

"They will find him." Nate said reassuring me and holding me.

"Take me to see my mother." I said with Nate nodding and driving as fast as he could with everyone else following.