Time to Dance

Something To Be

"Erelin, can you tell me what it felt like to be a vampire?" I asked as she was taking a sip of water.

"Well..." She said choking on her water.

"I mean, it's ok, if you can't tell me." I said.

"It's ok. You just took me off guard with your comment. Why do you want to know?" Erelin asked.

"I'm gone mom!" Kayla said flying down the stairs.

"Be home before dark!" Erelin yelled as Kayla left.

"I am just curious. Dad was one. You were one. Brendon was one. I don't know with all of the history in our family, and as crazy things are now, I just have this feeling that what if?" I said.

"Alex, being a vampire, well a good vampire, is not all it is cracked up to be. You have to drink nasty blood packets, you have cravings, crazy energy to burn..." She said stopping herself. "Sorry." She said turning red. "It's not all that." She said taking another sip of water.

"I don't know. Sometimes I wonder what my purpose is. I thought that mom killed all of the vampires with you and everyone else's help but with all the dreams I have had since I was six, Brendon being secretive, dad and Nate missing, and everyone acting crazy I just keep thinking that I am to blame for all this somehow." I said feeling helpless.

"Honey, your dad and Nate disappearing is not your fault. You have a bright future in front of you. You are not meant to be a vampire no matter what type of dreams you are having if there is any. Your mother fought hard to stop the vampires." Erelin said.

"Assuming that there are vampires which I hope not, I feel that mom would have killed them all if I was not around. I don't know. Maybe she would have been more focused. I mean maybe I am just a screwed up kid who has nightmares of vampires because her father bit her mother when she was pregnant. Maybe that did something to me; it screwed me up." I said sighing.

"Alexandra, you are not screwed up. If anything you are stronger. Your mother was a slayer and your father a good vampire. Maybe it made your DNA stronger." Erelin smiled trying to comfort me.

"Like I could ever be a slayer. I am not mom. I could never replace her." I said.

"Who said anything about replacing her. Alex, being a slayer is in your blood. If it came down to being the slayer, I know you would fight hard. You are special. Just be glad that you haven't had to become one." Erelin said.

"I think I am going to go home now. I'm feeling tired." I said.