Time to Dance

Connection

"He might be one of my best friends and can be an ass at times but that is no way for him to treat you. I mean you are his girlfriend for crying out loud." Nate said pissed off as we got into his car.

"It's my fault. He is mad at me. If I hadn't flipped Jake off him..." I sobbed.

"Hey, Dean still would have gotten in trouble for fighting anyway. Don't blame yourself for something that is not your fault. He snuck out friday night and got hurt, remember?" Nate said wiping away my tears.

We gazed for a second in each other's eyes and then looked away. I couldn't believe Dean's behavior. He has never treated me that way before.

"How about that burger I promised?" He said trying to make me smile. I just nodded my head.

Nate drove us to a place that served the best burgers and fries in town. It was also a place we hung out alot as a group to get away from all the paparazzi. The owners all knew us and let us play our band here a few nights a week over the summer before I quit.

"What will it be, honey, the special?" Alice, the waitress asked. I was too upset to even think about what I wanted to eat.

"Two specials please, Alice with cherry cokes." Nate said ordering for me and sitting beside me and not across from me.

"I do remember that you love coke with real cherry syrup in it. Who remembers that?" Nate asked trying to make me smile.

"You do." I half grinned.

"That's my girl." He said hugging me tight. He always smelt so good.

I looked in Nate's eyes again. He really did seem to know me. I started to remember that crazy story that my mom and aunt Erelin always used to embarass us with.

"You are smiling more. What did I do cause I want you to keep that smile." Nate smiled.

"Remember that story that my mom and your mom used to tell us about when we were kids?" I asked.

"The one where you were just born and my mom was holding you?" Nate asked.

"Yeah, and your mom swears up and down that you kicked me from her womb." I said punching him in the arm.

"What was that for?" He asked.

"I don't know, a payback?" I said laughing again.

"There is no way I would do that." Nate said smiling with a mischievous grin.

"Oh, right." I said as Alice sat our drinks down.

"It is nice to see you two kids laughing." She said as she walked away.

"See, we had a connection even before I was born." Nate said.

"Is that what we have?" I said looking into his brown eyes and taking my right hand and pushing my hair behind my ear.

"I love your green eyes." He said making me blush.

I didn't know what to say. For once I was speechless around him. All of a sudden he started to lean in and we were about to kiss when Alice sat our food down.

"Oh, sorry kids. I didn't mean to interrupt." Alice said as she walked back away.

Nate and I had pulled away and then awkwardly blushed. Then we laughed. "Sorry." We both said nervously but secretly I wished he did kiss me.

After we both ate, Nate drove us to a park. I found some swings and he swung me. We talked about alot of things and then he drove me home.

"Thank you for today, Nate. Dean was being an ass. I do something nice and this is how he repays me. You are the best friend a girl could ever have." I said leaning over to kiss his cheek but he moved his face over quickly and kissed me on the lips.