Sequel: Friendly Affair

Public Affair

Public Affair

"I'm fine baby."

“Are you sure?”

“I’m positive,” I nodded.

“Okay,” Alex leaned up and kissed my cheek.

“Awww, you guys are too cute,” Cory giggled.

Damn her.

“Shh!” Alex demanded. “The movie is starting.”

“Oh,” Cory and I said as we all glanced at the screen. Every few minutes, I would look at Cory and smile. Then think about Alex.

I didn’t deserve her. She deserves so much better than a man who wanted to cheat on her with her best friend.

My phone rang in my pocket, it stopped all thoughts of Cory and Alex, I grabbed it and stood up. "I'll be right back," I whispered as I walked out the front door. "Hello?"

"Bri?" Matt's rough voice came through the speaker.

"Hey man," I said as I leaned against the door, taking out a pack of cigarettes that I hid from Alex out of the flower pot and grabbed one out. "What's up?"

"We need to talk," he said with a heavy regretful sigh.

"About?" I asked lighting up, I needed to stop smoking, I promised Alex I would. Just more reason she shouldn't be with such a fucked up guy like me, I lie to her.

"Alex, you seem different to her lately, Jimmy has been freaking out about that. You know how much we care about her, what's going on?" he asked

That's great, now I have to lie to him too.

"Nothing wrong, I've just been stressed lately and I don't want Alex to have to be stressed with me, so I'm kind of distancing myself for her sake," I explained as I blew out the smoke, such a fuck up.

“As long as you say so,” Matt mumbled. “Your sure nothing’s wrong between you two?”

Oh, other than the fact I’d rather have Cory?

“Yes, everything is fine, man,” I insisted. “Don’t worry.”

“Okay. See you tomorrow then,” Matt said and hung up the phone. I huffed, dropped my cigarette onto the ground and stomped it out. After a few minutes of silence, I walked back into the house to find Cory and Alex chatting while the movie was paused.

“Oh, hey babe,” Alex looked to me, Cory turning around and smiling.

I’d kill for her.

“Hey, hon,” I sat down next to her and pulled her on my lap.

"You smell like smoke," she scolded as she turned around sideways in my lap to stare at me with guilt trip ridden eyes. "Did you smoke?"

"Just once," I gave in, those pretty blue orbs got to me again, just like always.

"Brian you're going to kill yourself with those things, I want you to be healthy," she smiled softly, and again my stomach churned. But instead of need I felt, it was protection, she was so gullible and so helpless, and I was using her like I swore no one would do to her.

That's it, official scumbag award goes to: Brian Elwin Haner Jr.

"Last one," I promised holding my hand up with two fingers stuck together. "Scouts honor."

"Thank you," she smiled until she heard the house phone ringing, she jumped from my lap and ran into the kitchen. "Hello?"

"You love her don't you?" Cory broke the silence with a kind smile my way, churns of need rumbled throughout my stomach.

You're so fucked up man; it's not even funny anymore.

"I love her," I didn't lie, I really did love her. But she deserved so, so, so much more than me. "She's a great girl."

“Your too sweet, Brian,” she stated. “She loves you too. A whole lot.”

“I know,” I nodded. Just then, this sudden impulse came over me, like word vomit that I couldn’t stop. “Cory, you wanna hang out tomorrow? Just me and you, to get to know each other. I feel like you’re so much closer to the rest of the guys, and you don’t really know me.”

“Sure,” she smiled. “Tomorrow after the studio, me and you will chill.”

“Great,” I grinned back at her.

Why do I feel like I betrayed the one thing that mattered to me in the world more than music?

Oh because I did, no good intentions were made with that little proposal, just down to no good, teenage hormonal lust seeping through a twenty six year old man's memories.

"So," Cory smiled as I started the car, Alex was hanging out with her brother, the guys went out to a bar. Cory and I were finally alone. "Where are we going?"

"Wherever you want," I smiled at her, she smiled back and just like that, I got that notion again, one like you're being thrown at a wall and nothing can stop you from flying through the air, until you hit brace for impact. "I know this little cove near the beach, we could go there."

“Sounds good to me,” she nodded as I pulled out of the studio lot and down the street. “So what was the point of this again?”

For me to cheat on Alex.

“Me and you don’t know each other that well, is all,” I explained. “Just that we should just hang out.”

“Alright,” she shrugged. “And Alex is okay with it just being me and you?”

She doesn’t know.

“She’s fine,” I explained and pulled up onto the sand. I climbed out and helped Cory out, and soon we were walking down the shore to the cove.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image