Come in With the Rain

There's Something About Her

Mabel was taking notes down in English while Miss. Bradbury talked about literature during the 1920's. Chuck took the chance to bug his friend.

“Psst, Dean,” He whispered leaning to his right. His friend looks to him with an uninterested look. “You going to the dance?”

“Yeah,” Dean says as if it were obvious. “Wouldn't miss it.”

Chuck smirks, “You taking Mabel?”

Dean smirks, “I'm planning to. I just gotta find the right time to ask her.”

Chuck nudges him with his elbow, “You go get her tiger.”

Dean needed to do this right. Ask her right away before anyone else gets the idea to. Hopefully she won't say yes to anyone else.

“Hi Mabel,” Adam greets. Dean got over his grudge against Adam for Mabel's sake.

“Hello Adam,” Mabel smiles. “Did you do last nights paper?”

Adam shrugs, “I couldn't finish it in time.”

“Oh that's too bad,” She frowns.

She turns to say goodbye to Dean, but he stops her, “Wait, uh, can I talk to you for a minute?” She nods and waits for him to start. Oh geez, here it is. Why is it so hard? He's asked plenty of girls out before, well Lisa, and Mabel. Maybe because it was Mabel.

“Dean?” She calls worried. He was running out of time. His class was on the other side of the school and he was on his last two minutes.

“Mabel-”

“Hey Mabel,” Adam calls interrupting him. Mabel looks at him. “Are you going to the Homecoming dance?”

She smiles and nods, “Yeah. It'll be my first dance.”

Dean looks at her, “Which is why I-”

“Wanna go with me?” Adam asks.

Dean stopped talking. Did Adam seriously just do that? Did he seriously just ask Mabel to the dance right when he was about to ask her? Is he that out to get him he's willing to ruin his love life? He's glaring now. And Adam is just smiling like a fucking asshole.

“I'll think about it.”

Just that simple phrase put him at ease. He still has a chance to ask her.

“Dean, you're going to be late,” She says snapping him to reality. Dean nods and says his goodbyes. He shoves past Adam with a hard shove of his shoulder.

“What's wrong now?” Bobby sighs seeing Dean clunking around with car parts.

Dean looks at him, “Why is it that you always come to me when I’m having problems?”

“I don's see anyone here willin' to listen to yer bullshit,” Bobby huffs. Dean glares at his teacher. “So what's wrong? 15 bucks says it has to do with Mabel.”

Dean looks at his teacher irritated, “15 bucks says shut up.”

“You could do better than that boy,” Bobby scoffs.

“Fine!” Dean shouts. “It does have to do with Mabel.” Bobby sighs and takes a seat next to the car folding his arms. Even if it was none of his business, the least he can do is lend the kid an ear. After all he doesn't have a father figure. “Adam asked Mabel to the dance.”

“And what? Ya gonna bitch and moan at home eating a carton of Ben and Jerry's?” Bobby cracks hoping to lighten the mood. It didn't. “Then what?”

Dean screws on a bolt real tight, “Mabel said she'd think about it.”

“So what? Ya gonna ask her?”

“I'm planning to.”

Mabel was digging in her locker for the workbook she needed for when she goes to see Kevin. People were heading to the lunch room or to their preferred lunch areas. She looked over to Dean's locker and saw he wasn't there yet. She swallowed hard and closed her locker.

After Adam had asked her to the dance, it felt like he was forcing an answer on her.

“Has anyone else asked you?” Adam asks her. They were working in partners to figure out the different battles held during World War II.

Mabel shakes her head, “So far you're the only one.”

He smirks, “So Dean hasn't asked you yet?” Mabel blushes and shakes her head. “How come?”

“I-I don't know,” She mutters. “Why would he ask me anyway?”

He shrugs, “Maybe because you guys are close buds?”

Right. They're just friends. She likes him but they're just friends. No romance between them at all.

Mabel sighs as she slumps down in her seat, “Yeah. Close buds.”

“Hey Mabel,” Dean calls pulling her from her thoughts.

She waves to him. Dean opens his locker to put his books away.

“Um, Dean?” She calls. He looks at her. She pulls some hair back behind her ear. “Adam was talking to me about the dance...”

Dean slowly moves from his locker, “Yeah?”

“Well....uh, are you going?” She asks almost quietly.

“I haven't asked anyone yet,” He murmurs hiding behind his locker door.

Mabel swallowed hard again. He hasn't asked anyone yet. Maybe he's planning on asking her. Probably to just go as friends or something.

“Do you want to go with me?”

Mabel watched Dean's locker close.

“What?” She asks stupidly.

Dean chuckles, “Do you want to go to the dance with me?”

She nods, “Uh, yeah. I'd like to go with you.”

“It's a date,” He smirks. Mabel smiles when he does and follows him to the cafeteria. By now she's gotten used to the people and noise in the room because of Dean.

“Finally,” Becky frowns. “What took you guys so long!”

Dean sighs, “I had to ask Mabel something.”

“To the dance I bet,” Chuck muses.

Garth woos, “Winchester got game!”

Becky swoons, “Aw, did he?” Mabel nods shyly. “How did he do it? Did he get down on one knee? No, no did he leave you a note and flower? No, wait did he send someone in to give you a special message?”

“Becky, I just asked her to the dance,” Dean grunts. “Not to marry me.” Becky sticks her tongue out at him.

“How did he ask you?” Andy asks.

“We were by our lockers and he just asked,” Mabel states.

Tessa shakes her head, “Shame on you Dean.”

“What?” Dean growls.

Victor nods his head, “I agree. Honestly, couldn't you have been more romantic about it?”

Dean eyes his friends, “What do you want from me? A tuxedo, cheesy music, and a sign saying 'Go to Homecoming with me?'”

“Yes.”

Geez, his friends are ruthless. They don't give a crap about his pride. Well it's too late now. He's already asked Mabel and she already said yes. To him that was a victory in itself. In your fucking face Adam Miligan.

Chuck claps his hands, “Do over.” He continues to clap his hands and repeating himself. Then the rest of them started to get in on it. Dean started to feel that people from the other tables were gonna start up as well, and he didn't need that.

Tessa shoves Dean lightly, “Come on Dean. Look at her.”

Dean does as Tessa tells him and looks at Mabel. Her cheeks were a slight pink, probably from embarrassment. She is awesome. He does like her. And she already said yes. So his friends make a good point. He could have asked her better.

He started to hear the cheering get louder.

“Fine!” Dean shouts slamming his hands on the table making everyone go silent with amusement. “I'll do it over. Everyone starts to cheer in excitement.

“Dean,” Mabel calls. “You don't have to. If you don't want to.”

Dean leans over, “It's fine. I want to.” Mabel smiles shyly at his answer.

But the main problem is. How is he gonna ask her again? He's not particularly the romantic type. He's no Doctor Sexy. All he's got are his looks and wit. Okay, maybe just his looks. But over all he's not Casanova.

“What do you mean a 'do over'?” Gabriel asks.

Castiel and his brother stare at the girl. She's explained to them her situation about Homecoming.

“Like I said,” She murmurs. “Our friends wanted him to do a 'do over'. They weren't satisfied with the way he asked me.”

Castiel chuckled, “Your friends sound rather silly when it comes to Dean.”

Gabriel looks at his younger brother, “Are you kidding me? It makes perfect sense.” Castiel and Mabel look at him as if he were insane. “You just can't simply ask someone to the dance. You gotta make it special. Especially if it's their first time to a high school dance.” He nudges Mabel playfully with his elbow.

Castiel rolls his eyes at his brother and takes everyone's plates, “Since we're on the matter of Dean asking you to the dance, what are you two planning on going as?”

“What do you mean?” Mabel asks.

“Your costumes,” He replies. “Homecoming is costume themed remember?”

Mabel nods but gasps, “I don't know what we're going as!”

Gabriel puts a hand to his chin as if he were thinking, “You probably should go as something that compliments you.”

“Gabriel, it's a costume not an outfit for the red carpet,” Castiel mocks. Gabriel rolls his eyes at his brother. “Mabel just pick something you like.”

“I'm gonna call Ana to see if she's up to designing your costume,” Gabriel says pulling his phone out.

Mabel stares at Gabriel and remembered something. She told the two she'd be back in a few minutes. She went to her room and grabbed her phone from her desk. She was so used to not having one she forgot to bring the thing to school to show Dean. She walked out of her room and out the front door.

She knocked twice, the Winchester's and her little sign to let them know she's coming over. Sam opened the door and greeted her.

“Can I speak to Dean?” Mabel asks.

Sam sighs, “I don't know. The guy is primping himself. It's his nightly ritual you know.”

“Shut up Sam!” Dean barks from the hallway. Sam laughs as he moves out of the way to let Mabel in. Mabel walks over to the hallway and sees Dean digging around in the hallway closet.

“Dean?” She calls walking up to him. He pulls out a round box from the closet. “What are you doing?”

He smirks, “I'm trying to find a costume for the dance.” He opens the lid to the box and pulls out a medium sized Indiana Jones hat. “What are you going to be?”

“I don't really know,” Mabel admits. She fiddles with her hands then remembers one of the reasons why she came over. “Oh Dean.” Dean looks at her. She reveals the pink object in her hands to him. “Castiel got me a phone.”

“That's awesome!” He beams ignoring the hat in his hands. “Did you get anyone's number yet?”

“No,” She replied. “I forgot to bring it to school. I was gonna show you there.”

“You want my number?” He smirks. Mabel nods shyly. He takes the phone from her and opens it. “Cool phone.” Mabel waits patiently for him to put his number in. “Come here.” She goes over and watches Dean position her phone out in front of them. “Smile.” She does and then hears a shutter sound. He clicks a few more buttons and then hands the phone back to her.

Mabel was a little curious about what Dean did but she'll figure it out later.

“What are you planning on going as?” Mabel asks watching Dean continue to dig around in the closet.

Dean pulls out a box, “Um, a cowboy or something.” He looks through the box, folds it up when he didn't find something he didn't need, then placed it back in the closet. “Do you have an idea of what you want to go as?”

She shakes her head, “My Uncle Gabriel is planning to call my Auntie Ana to design my costume.”

He replies, “Hey she's got taste, maybe she'll make you something really hot.”

Mabel exclaims, “Excuse me!”

Dean sputters, “I-I uh, didn't mean it like...that.”

Wow, smooth Winchester. You could have done better than that. It was supposed to be a compliment. How was he supposed to know Mabel wouldn't get it?

He hears Mabel giggling. He looks at her confused, “What?”

“I'm just teasing you Dean,” She snickers. “I don't mind what my costume will look like.”

Dodged a bullet there Dean. It amused him that Mabel was comfortable enough to tease him.

Mabel says good night to the brothers and makes it back to her apartment.

“You were gone for a while,” Gabriel teases. “What'd you guys talk about?”

“Costumes,” She replies. “He's thinking on going as a cowboy.”

Gabriel beams, “Hey! You can be his saloon girl!”

“Gabriel!” Castiel shouts. “Do you know how those women dress!”

Gabriel gives him an unimpressed look, “Duh! It fits! Plus they'd be matching!” Castiel gives him an almost deadly look. “Hey. At least they won't look like matching dorks!”

Mabel laughs at her Uncle bickering with Castiel. So costumes are out of the way. Now all she has to focus on is the 'do over' everyone is so hellbent of happening. Wonder what kind of ideas Dean has planned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last one for today!

Get ready for more updates soon!