Get off Your Knees

4.

Ashley’s P.O.V

A few days later, it was the day that Andy and I had decided to have our date. We had planned to have lunch, seeing as Andy worked at night.

“CC! Get your sorry ass out of bed!” I yelled, slamming my fist against the door to CC’s room.

Since the night that I had met Andy, I had been pretty angry with CC. If he hadn’t gotten drunk to the point of throwing up, I wouldn’t have had to bring him home, and I would have been able to get to know Andy a little better before deciding to go on a date with him. As it was all I knew about the boy was he worked at the bar of a strip club, he was over twenty one, and his name was Andy. It made me seriously nervous to think that I didn’t even know what he did in that room with that disgusting man. Sure I had my guesses, but they were all things that I really didn’t want to think about.

“CC! UP!”

I heard CC groan so I slammed the door open.

“What do you want?” CC asked from under the pillow he had shoved over his head.

“I want you out of bed. I have to leave in an hour and I don’t want you to still be in bed.”

CC groaned again. “You’re going on a date; I should be able to sleep through it.”

Rolling my eyes, I walked over to the side of CC’s bed and started shaking him. “If you want to talk to Jake, go to his house.”

By the look he gave me when the pillow came off of his head, I knew he didn’t think I knew he was still brooding over what had happened with Jake. Of course I knew though, love was really the only thing that could make CC upset, and I knew that he really cared about Jake. Besides, he had given me a great clue by acting upset every time my date was brought up.

“Do you think your date will let me use his cell phone to call Jake?” CC sat up, his hair going off in all different directions.

I thought about the way Andy acted while I had been talking to him. “He’s a pretty sweet person, but you aren’t going to ask. If he won’t answer our calls then you should go to his house. It isn’t like you don’t know where he lives.”

CC’s hopeful demeanor seemed to darken again. “I know I know where he lives, I just don’t want him to slam the door in my face.”

I looked over at the digital clock sitting on CC’s end table. “Well C, I really need to start getting ready. You just need to give Jake another chance, he might surprise you.”

I walked out of the room as CC nodded. I knew that he was just a little heartbroken, but I also knew that if I didn’t push him toward what he needed to do, he wouldn’t do it. He needed to talk to Jake, so I would force him into it if I needed to.

An hour later, there was a knock at the door.

“Shit,” I muttered, pulling a shirt on over my bare torso. “CC, could you get that?”

He seemed to be one step ahead of me.

“You must be Andy,” I heard CC say.

“I am, and who would you be?”

I chuckled as I realized that Andy sounded a little jealous.

“I’m CC, Ashley’s roommate. You don’t have to worry about me,” CC said, seeming to notice the same tint of jealously as I had, “We’re just friends. I have my eye on someone else.”

I quickly ran down the stairs, finding Andy and CC sitting on separate couches down in the living room. It seemed quite awkward in the room.

“Hey Andy, I see you met CC.”

They both smiled awkwardly at me.

“So C, are you going over to Jake’s?”

CC shrugged and walked out of the room.

“I guess we should head out then?” I asked Andy, nodded toward the door.

“So CC is just your friend?”

“Yep.”

Andy nodded. “Why did he seem so sad?” he asked.

“Uh well, CC likes our friend Jake, and I think Jake likes him back, but when CC told Jake about his feelings, he just left. Ever since, CC and I have been trying to get ahold of him, but he just ignores our calls and texts.”

Andy pursed his full lips, “The poor baby! If this Jake likes CC, why would he ignore you guys?”

I shrugged. “I think he’s just nervous about getting into a relationship with one of his best friends.”

Andy nodded, not saying anything.

When we got into my car, Andy was still silent. Whatever he was thinking about, it seemed to have taken all of his attention.

“Hey Andy,” I said after we had been in the car for about ten minutes.

“Huh? What? Sorry.”

I laughed. “What were you thinking about?”

“CC. It must be hard for him to know that you’re going on a date while he can’t get the one he loves to even talk to him.”

Looking over at Andy, I realized I was right in telling CC that he was sweet. “Wow, the two of us are going on a date, and all you can think about is my best friend and roommate and the relationship problem that he is having.” I made sure to grin the whole time I said that so he knew I was only joking with him.

“I’m sorry,” he said as a little blush rose to his cheeks, “I just hate it when someone gets cheated out of a good relationship.”

Not even thinking about it, I put my hand over Andy’s on the middle console. “That’s sweet, and I don’t like seeing it either. I hate that my two best friends, who happen to be in love with each other, can’t just get together already. That’s why I have been trying to force CC into going and talking to Jake.”

“Aww sweetie, you really can’t force him into it.”

“If you knew CC, you’d know that this is really the only way to get him to do anything.

Andy looked at me, seeming to try and figure out if it really was the only way by listening to me talk. He finally nodded, and the conversation turned to us instead of CC’s relationship status.