Status: Completed (:

I'll Do Anything to Have Her to Myself

Trying To Take My Job?

He’d gotten to the studio very early that morning. But, he always got there really early. It gave him time to review the things they’d done the day before and jot some ideas down for them to try. It was about 9:30 and a rapping against the door pulled him out of his concentration. When he pulled the door open, he was surprised to see Addie standing there all bright-eyed.

“Morning.” She chirped.

“Hey. You’re early.”

“Yeah, got up early. Thought I’d go ahead and come down here.”

Shawn nodded, “I’ve been here since about 7.”

“Damn.” She laughed. “You don’t waste time. So, what exactly do you wanna do today?”

“Well, I thought we could record some songs. Those originals you played last night were pretty great.”

“Cool.” She said flopping down on the rolling stool beside his. “The guys will probably be here in a little bit. What you working on?”

“Just going over some stuff we did yesterday.” He sat back down on his stool and tried to organize the mass of notebook paper that was scattered around the desk all the while trying not let the fact that this beautiful girl was sitting close to him get under his skin.

“Could I hear some?” She asked shyly.

“Umm. I guess. It’s not really been mixed and stuff completely. But yeah. Check it out.” He queued up some recordings of them playing a song they’d recorded the day before.

“I love it. What’s it going to be called?”

“The Blister Exists.” He answered simply then found himself staring off at her in a daze.

“Is everyone else coming?”

“Huh?”

“Is everyone else coming today? Like Corey….or Joey or anyone?”

“oh, I don’t know. Mick and Jim may be by…”

Her lips turned up into a smile and she asked him, “Could I try to sing that song you just played for me?”

He thought about it for a second, “Sure, why not? Go through that door and put those head phones on.”

“Awesome!” she said pecking him on the cheek and running to take her place behind the plexiglass.

They were about half way through the song sunlight blasted through the door. The man who entered was confused at what he heard. That was their song, but that definitely wasn’t him singing it. He looked at her in the booth as she sang and beamed. When the song was over, he patted Shawn on the back and took the mic.

“Trying to take my job?”

“We were just goofing around.” She winked as she put the headphones down and come out of the booth.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Shawn asked his colleague.

He shrugged, “thought I’d help work on some stuff today.”

“You usually don’t roll in until about 12:30….”

“This guy.” Corey pointed at him and shook his head. “Always hasslin’ me….”

By the time it was 2:00, they’d gotten so much work completed. Vocal tracking on the Slipknot project was near completion and they’d record a couple originals and few covers with Flesh Martyr.

“I’m hungry.” She yawned. “I think I’m gonna go down the store and grab some food. Anyone want me to get ‘em anything?”

‘What a loaded question….’ Shawn thought to himself before saying, “Naww, I’m good.”

“Will you get me a slush?” Corey’s eyes bulged from his head.

She thought she was gonna die laughing, “Yeah, what flavor?”

“Cherry.” He said placing a couple dollar bills in her hand and winking.

They watched her walk out the door and Corey turned to his elder bandmate, “I like her….she’s fucking cool as shit.”

“Yeah, she’s a pretty awesome girl.” Shawn agreed.

“I hung out with her a while last night after you ducked out. You know Addie is short for Adelaide? Her fucking name is Adelaide. That’s so cool.”

“That’s a name you don’t hear everyday….but it totally fits her.”

Corey nodded and as he got up from his chair to walk off added, “I think I’m gonna ask her out……”

Shawn sighed in defeat, “Figures…”

‘What?’ he thought. ‘Why did I even say that? Damn it……she is pretty damn gorgeous. ’

She came back with an armful of munchies and Corey’s cherry slush. With her hands full, she let the snacks she bought fall on to the table top. She was slurping on a slush of her own as she called out for Corey.

“Ahhh! Slush!” he yelled as he ran towards her taking the freezing cold beverage out of her hand.

“Don’t drink it so fast….” She warned him.

“Too late.” He groaned as he grabbed at his head.

“Aww.” She said making a pouty face. “Come here.” He turned to face her and she massaged his temples helping to relieve his brain freeze.

Shawn groaned in aggravation. “You’re an idiot…”

“Think we’re gonna head out.” Her band announced.

“I gotta go to work…” Maxx whined.

“Oh, well, see you guys soon, then?” Shawn waved.

“I gotta head out, too, actually.” Corey said joining the conversation. “Got a couple phone interviews to do…”

“Damn, everyone’s gonna leave?” Shawn moped.

“I’ll stay.” She smiled making his heart skip a beat for a second. “Maybe we could try some more stuff?”

“Yeah, sure…” he said trying not to sound too eager.