Sometimes...

20

“Seriously Peyton, we’re kind of in the middle of something” he said as Peyton nudged at his shoulder and he sighed “Come on then” he stated pushing himself up as Peyton ran out the room. “Babe I have to take him out, stupid dog” he whispered kissing me walking out, I crawled under the covers of his bed before hearing him wander back upstairs “Did you go out in your boxers?” I asked.

“Well I opened the back door and stood there, its pretty cold out” he admitted as I laughed, “Babe pass me my top” I said “Which one?” he asked “Dolphins one” “No way, your not sleeping in my bed with that on. Put mine on” he said holding his school football jersey out. “It smells” I replied “No it doesn’t, mom washed it yesterday” he argued throwing it at me and I rolled my eyes pulling it on, “Your cheeky saying it smells” he whispered as he crawled into bed next to me.

“It does normally smell” “Of what?” he asked “Dirt and sweat” I relied and he smiled “Thank you babe” he replied and I smiled “Anytime” I said kissing him before snuggling into his body as he placed his hand on my side. I played with the hair at the bottom of his neck kissing him “So you get old next week” he stated “I am 17 next week your right” “Old” he winked and I pouted at him, he kissed me “It’s fine I still love you even if you are old,” he offered.

“Thanks” “So you doing anything for it?” he asked and I shook my head “Really?” “Yes really” I replied as he hooked my leg over his waist. “Well we can do something if you want?” he asked “I don’t mind,” I stated and he nodded slowly, I rested my head on his chest hearing his heartbeat “Can I ask you something?” he said quietly and I nodded.

“What’s the deal with your family? I mean I don’t get it, its like your not even a family” he said bluntly I stayed quiet knowing he’d keep talking if I did “I get the feeling your sometimes not very happy there” he added. I sighed nodding slowly “Why? What’s wrong there?” he asked “It’s just…hard to explain” I stated as I moved my leg from his waist to be tangled with his own legs "Well you know we can talk about anything right? I see the way you are at home and I get the feeling you talk to me a hell of a lot more than you do to your mom” he said and I nodded.

“I love that you talk to me so much” he stated, "Yeah Katie said it makes you feel special” I teased, “As if she said that? I hate her! It’s just I don’t get why you don’t talk to your mom” he admitted. “Well I don’t get on with Mike so we never speak and I guess mom has to separate her time between us” I said quietly.

“But you’re her little girl she should always choose you” he replied “Ben you live in that little perfect family world don’t you? It’s totally cute but kind of childish” I admitted “Hey” he defended “Well it is, you see everything as perfect and it’s not” I reasoned. “Your pretty perfect” he stated “Compliments won’t win you this one” I cut back “Well don’t call me childish, its not some stupid fantasy Jenna its real life. My parents are still together and they pretty much look like they always will be, if them guys broke up I’d be totally gutted; we’re a family and we look out for each other. You guys don’t seem to have that at all,” he explained.

“Just because you see things that way doesn’t mean I have to” I replied "No but it doesn’t mean I’m childish to see it that way, just because you’re a cynic doesn’t mean I have to be” he cut back “I’m not a cynic, I’m realistic; you’ve got your head in the clouds, everything’s always rosy to you. Sometimes your just stupid” I replied hating my choice of words straight away “Don’t insult my intelligence Jenna! I’m not stupid and you know it! Why can’t you just see that you don’t have to always be right?” he asked.

“What like you can admit that too? I know I’m not always right but I’m right about this” I stated “No your not! Just because your family sucks doesn’t mean everyone’s does!” he snapped at me and it fell quiet, I rolled away form him “Jenna I didn’t mean that” he said “Yes you did” I stated “Okay so I did but I didn’t mean it to be that harsh, you were pushing my buttons” he defended. “And that makes it better?” I asked “No, babe maybe your right but you can’t just say I’m childish; I’m not childish and I don’t have my head in the clouds. To me your family does suck, us guys do everything together, I mean my parents know everyone I know and Katie and I are friends with each others friends even if we don’t really want to be. When I met your mom it was like she didn’t even care,” he explained as he put his hand on my hip.

“Well what did you want her to do?” I asked, “I don’t know but not just say hi and walk off, my mom spends forever talking to you and I know that maybe that’s a female thing but your 16 and your mom just went off on vacation and left you. Your 16 and she doesn’t even care that I sleep in your bed, I’m pretty sure most moms would want to set rules or make us have separate beds. My parents spoke to me when it was clear you were my girlfriend, I got told what was acceptable and what wasn’t, hell I got the talk from my dad! I bet you never got any of that from your mom” he admitted.

I shook my head “Do you see my point?” he asked and I stayed quiet “Are you mad at me?” he asked and I nodded "I’m sorry, I love you” he whispered and I stayed quiet. He sighed kissing my shoulder before resting his head near mine “Peyton lay down!” he snapped and Peyton did as he was told curling up at Ben’s feet.

I tried to sleep but I couldn’t and I knew Ben wasn’t asleep either, I rolled back over to face him and he pulled me closer to him “I’m sorry babe, I never meant to upset you or be argumentative,” he whispered and I nodded. “I guess it just confuses me how you can be happy that way and frustrates me a bit that your mom treats you that way” he added, “Can we just not talk about it?” I asked and he nodded “Am I forgiven?” he asked and I nodded looking up at him “Good, I don’t like you being mad at me, it wasn’t a pleasant feeling” he admitted.

“Come here a second” he whispered “What?” I asked looking at him “No come up here” he said and I shifted to be level with him “What?” I asked and he smiled ”Nope closer” “Ben what?” I asked as I did as he asked so our faces were inches apart “Just this” he said kissing me softly and I smiled into the kiss.

He pulled away “That was all” he whispered kissing my nose, I smiled at him as he pressed his forehead against my own “You know your kind of like football” he whispered and I looked at him “I could never get tired of you” he stated “You always complain that your bored of football to me, you don’t tell football your bored of me do you?” I joked and he chewed his lip making me want to kiss him right then.

“Sorry baby but there was this one time when I told football I was bored of you, I was weak!” he joked and I laughed at him “Your such a douche sometimes” I stated and he nodded. “Hey remember the day I ran into you?” he asked “Which one?” I asked and he smiled “The first one” he stated and I nodded. “It was kind of really my fault,” he admitted “Well I wasn’t exactly looking where I was going,” I offered “Yeah but I knew you were there,” he said.

“You ran into me on purpose?” I asked, “No, I was so embarrassed afterwards, I wanted to die!” “So how come you knew I was there, ran into me but didn’t mean to?” I questioned. “Well I was hungry after practise and I was thinking about food, like I do and I spotted you and I was maybe, sort of, checking you out; then I took my eyes off you to look at my phone. I put it back in my pocket and was just starting to think food again when bam I ran into you and my first thought was ‘Please don’t be Jenna’ but there you were,” he explained.

“Oh charming, you didn’t want it to be me” “Because walking straight into the girl you sort of like is very awkward, I made myself look a total idiot! Then I kind of had to talk to you to apologize and I thought you might not know who I was and think I was weird for knowing who you were, I hated myself after you walked off. Second time around was a total accident, a convenient accident but still an accident,” he admitted.

“You never seemed worried about talking to me” I stated "Yeah I’m good at pretending; I maybe looked cool but on the inside I was pretty much going ‘Erm talk Ben, say something intelligent!’ and then you saved Peyton. I won’t lie, I was totally using my dog to get you to talk to me after I realised you liked him” he admitted smiling at me.

“You are such an idiot, you’d be one of them dad’s that uses their kid to pick up chicks!” I replied “Hey you were the one who loved him, I was merely giving you the chance to play with a dog that you obviously liked and that you weren’t allowed to have. The fact that I got to hang out with you was the utter plus side. Anyway complain all you like I’m glad I ran into you,” he said.

“Me too you clumsy idiot” I teased as he kissed my nose, “I thought you’d think I was too stupid to date you,” he whispered “Oh I do think that” I joked and he pushed my shoulder “Your mean to me,” he whispered kissing me again. I rested my hand on his ribs pressing my fingers in gently and he flinched “Seriously you need to go to the doctors with that” I said. He’d gotten a few bruises in his last football match but they seemed to be fine, his ribs on the other hand weren’t “Can’t you just look at them?” he asked.

“I don’t know what I’m looking for” I stated, “Yeah but you can feel them and I can tell you when it hurts and we’ll see where we go from there,” he reasoned and I sighed. He pushed the covers back and I sat up, I turned his light on as he shifted to lay on his back “There’s no bruise” he stated and I nodded “It’s not swollen is it?” he asked “No but if it feels sore you should get it checked out” I stated.

“Where’s it start to hurt?” I asked and he shrugged, I put my hand at his arm and ran it slowly down his side putting pressure on and he started to bite down on his lip at about half way down. I pressed my fingers in above where it hurt and determined the exact place it started hurting and it felt like it was 3 ribs that he had pain in “Can you feel anything?” he asked his voice cracking “No but you can, go to the doctors babe” I said and he shook his head.

“Did they check you out after it happened?” I asked, “Nope never said I was hurt, breathed through the pain. I think it’s just a pulled muscle” “That’s ribs not muscle, what if you’ve cracked them? Why not just go get them checked out, if you make the crack bigger you could break them properly” I lectured. “No if I go they’ll say I can’t play next game” “There’s more important things, if you break it properly you could puncture a lung,” I stated, “You are such a drama queen!” “No I’m being straight” I replied as he smiled.

“Pessimist! I’ll go if in a couple days if they’re no better, it only hurts when there’s pressure on them; I can move around fine as I’m sure you saw not that long ago” he said winking at me before pulling me to kiss him. I turned his light out before lying back down and he cuddled me against him, we lay talking then the door opened downstairs and Peyton jumped off the bed barking away as Ben carried on talking.

“Shut up!” I head Katie shout “Peyton be quiet it’s me!” she shouted at him before storming upstairs “Shut this dog up now Ben!” she shouted at him and he smiled “Peyton enough” he said and Peyton stopped before jumping on the bed. “Good boy” Ben praised petting him “No not good boy, annoying and noisy boy! Must you let him do that?” she asked “Oh calm down, he’s looking out for us and why are you stood looking down the hall?” he asked.

“Because your in bed” “Yeah and?” he asked “And I didn’t want to walk in on anything did I?” she asked and he rolled his eyes “There’s nothing to walk in on, stop being a freak” he stated and she sighed looking in the room “What are you doing?” she asked “Well we do have school in the morning so sleeping was the general idea! Keep it down will you?” he asked and she nodded.

“Hey it was your dog making all the noise as usual” she snapped “Oh calm down, go back and find Cameron before he throws up in the kitchen again” Ben teased and she rolled her eyes “He better not do, well night you guys” she said shutting the door.

“Ergh school tomorrow” I complained and he nodded “I know right?” he said quietly as he pulled me into his body, “I love that your wearing my football jersey to sleep in” he stated kissing the top of my head. “Only because it doesn’t smell bad and you won’t let me wear mine” “Too right I won’t! It’ll smell of you now though so I’ll have to smell you all through practise now” he complained.

“Well let me wear mine then” “Nope, babe fancy pulling an all nighter and not going to class tomorrow?” he asked “Nope, we need to go to class” I stated and he groaned shuffling down to be level with me “But I want to stay up all night and sleep all day” he whispered. “And that is why god created weekends! Now hush your mouth I’m going to sleep even if you refuse and I’ll drag you to class tomorrow if I have to” I stated.

“Jenna I’m on the football team, you couldn’t move me if you tried” he bragged and I pushed him but he never moved, I smiled kissing him before pushing him gently to move before pulling away smiling “Couldn’t move you if I tried” I stated “Oh okay doing that you can, what so your going to kiss me all the way to school?” he asked. “If it gets you to class tomorrow” “Then get ready for some kissing action, but seriously we do need to sleep if you insist on me attending school tomorrow” he said and I nodded.

He winked kissing me “Night babe” he whispered kissing me gently before moving back to the pillow and closing his eyes, I fidgeted trying to get comfy before rolling away from him and his arm wrapped around my waist pulling me back into his body. He kissed my neck, “Pey lay down” he said and I felt him curl up at our feet “Good boy” he praised before falling silent and I drifted off to sleep.