Sometimes...

30

It was 2 weeks before Christmas and I’d persuaded Ben that Bryony did not need or want any animal regardless of how many times she may ask for one, he’d hinted at a puppy to her and she seemed totally uninterested in the idea. In fact she didn’t even think they were cute so he was gutted that he wasn’t getting a new dog anytime soon “Well what can we buy her then?” he asked and I smiled “Anything that’s not alive, she kind of loves Hannah Montana at the moment” I stated “You think? Jenna I watched 5 hours straight of that programme and its safe to say it changes a person” he joked and I laughed.

“Can we not just buy Hannah Montana?” Ben asked “Yeah I don’t think it’s legal to buy people and do you really want her living with us?” I asked and he shook his head “Then keep that suggestion to yourself, oh I invited Brett and Hannah over on Christmas day” I informed “Cool” “Babe you know for Christmas? I was kind of hoping you’d get rid of that beard,” I said and he shook his head “Not happening, I’m keeping this. I think I look cool” he replied as we walked into a shop. “Yeah if cool looks like a criminal” I cut back as he laughed “No complaints about the longer hair though” he stated “Shut up” I said making him smile.

I felt his arm around my shoulder “Buying Hannah Montana would be easier” he offered “Well you go ring her dad and see what he has to say when a 23 year old tries to by his teenage daughter” I stated “From what I hear about teenagers he’d jump at the chance” he joked making me laugh. “Note to self do not leave Bryony on her own with her father when a teenager as he might have sold her when I get home” I said quietly and he nudged me “I know what she wants” he practically shouted grabbing my hand and dragging me after him.

“That, she wants that” he said looking proud of himself “A Hannah Montana bike, she doesn’t know how to ride a bike” I stated “Yeah but I can teach her on Christmas Day, if Brett’s there as well we can go either side to catch her. Come on babe I know she wants it” he begged, “How do you know?” I asked, “She said when we came in the other week,” he admitted.

“Why were you in here?” I asked “No harm in looking is there and without me looking we’d never know so the bike yeah?” he asked and I sighed “The bike” I said and he smiled. “You know when she falls off you’ll hate yourself right?” I asked and he nodded “Yeah but when she can actually ride it it’ll be so cute” “Yeah well you remember your not running after her down the street so Brett will have to” I stated. “Jenna” “No Ben your knee isn’t up for running for long periods of time” I snapped and he groaned; he dragged me around the rest of the shop buying stuff before paying and going back home.

We were sat wrapping the presents before she came home when Ben smiled at me “What?” I asked “I’m just thinking how much you’ll hate yourself when you realise I bought you a better present” he bragged “Not likely, this year I’ve got the best present” I stated as he shook his head. “I’m not kidding Ben, this year I will win best present award” “Yeah course you will Jenna” he scoffed “Shut up, I’m taking these to the garage” I said standing up “I’ll help” “No you won’t, you only want to come so you can find out the new code and it’s not happening” I stated.

I heard the door as I was walking back and opened it to see Bryony and Ben’s parents “Mommy!” she shouted and I picked her up “Hello, have you been good?” I asked and she nodded “Yeah she has, she’s been helping Grandma with her Christmas cards haven’t you?” she asked and Bryony nodded. “She’s also been telling us what she’s bought daddy for Christmas” Ben’s dad said “Bryony that’s a secret, you haven’t told daddy have you?” I asked and she shook her head, “Good girl” I stated.

“He’s in the lounge why don’t you go get him,” I said putting her down and she ran off “Have you really got him what’s she’s saying?” his dad asked and I looked at him “What’s she told you?” I asked waiting for some totally unbelievable story. “She said something about football and high school” he replied and I nodded “Yeah she’s got it right, you know in our last year they got to the finals and Ben broke his arm so he couldn’t play?” I whispered, “Well they made the finals again this year, first time since we left school and he keeps banging on about it so I bought us tickets back to Ohio to watch it” I explained.

“He’ll love it,” his dad said and I smiled “It’s from Bryony though, I hope she doesn’t tell him” I admitted, “If she’s not told you what he’s got you then I think you’ll be fine” his mom replied as we walked towards the lounge. We found Ben sat watching TV with Bryony and he glared at me as we walked in and I heard Hannah Montana “Aww is it Hannah time? Daddy loves this show” I joked as his parents laughed.

They stayed for dinner before saying they’d be over Christmas morning and leaving. 2am Christmas Day and Bryony was up already “Mommy is it Christmas time yet?” she shouted and Ben groaned “No go back to bed” he mumbled “How much longer?” she asked “9 hours” Ben replied making me smile “Not until the clock says 6am, go to bed sweetie otherwise Santa won’t come” I warned and she wandered off. 2 hours later and she’d been in 5 times “Is it time now?” she asked “Bryony bed now!” Ben snapped at her “But…” “But nothing go to bed, we’ll tell you when it’s time now back in bed” he cut back.

“I can’t sleep,” she complained and he sighed, “Get in” he stated, before he’d even finished the sentence she was on the bed; she crawled in between us getting under the covers her teddy under her arm. “Daddy…” “No, you sleep if you’re in here and don’t go thinking this is a regular thing either. You’re a big girl you should sleep in your own bed” he scolded and she fell silent as she snuggled into his chest, “Grumpy daddy” I whispered and he smiled as she started to suck her thumb a sign she was asleep “Tired daddy, she irritates me when she does this; why can’t she just sleep” he complained “She’s a kid and it’s Christmas, it’s called being excited” I replied and he nodded.

“If God intended for us to be up at this time he’d have made it light” he grumbled making me smile before closing his eyes and falling asleep again. I woke up to someone pulling my hand and I saw Bryony looking at me “What?” I asked, “The clock says 6.12am can I get up now?” she asked and I smiled at her. I checked the clock “Okay, get daddy up then” I said and she rolled over to face him, she started to poke his cheek and he rubbed his face a few times “Bryony stop it” he mumbled sleepily before opening his eyes “It’s Christmas time!” she shouted and he smiled at her.