Sometimes...

5

I looked over as I got level and he smiled waving at me and I smiled back before walking off, I wasn’t sure what to think of him anymore; before I thought he was being polite then that he was trying some form of nice just so they could all pick on me but he seemed kind of genuine. I sat down in class and he walked in with some of his friends sitting in his normal seat, the teacher told us about an assignment we had that involved group work.

She then told us to get into pairs, I hated group work because I was always last to be asked and when I was I had to do all the work to get any form of grade. I heard someone sit next to me and I looked to see Ben smiling “Fancy being my partner?” he asked and I looked at him “Promise to not make you do all the work” he offered and I nodded.

“Is that a yes?” he asked “Yeah” I replied and he smiled “Roethlisberger, am I your partner in crime again?” Craig (another football player and Ben’s normal partner for group work) asked and Ben turned around “Sorry dude I just asked Jenna to be my partner” Ben replied.

“Craig do you have a partner?” the teacher asked “Erm, yeah” he replied before pointing to one of the girls in front of me and she nodded, he walked over sitting next to her before turning around “Dude your always my partner” he stated “Yeah and now I’m Jenna’s” Ben replied. “Jenna?” he asked and Ben sighed “Yes Jenna” he stated, “Are you new?” Craig asked and I shook my head “No she’s not new, she’s been here the same amount of time we have and now she’s my partner and your that girls partner and this discussion is over” Ben snapped back.

“Sure you don’t mind being partners?” he asked and I shook my head “Good, now I need to get an A in this to be allowed to play the next football game so you best do well” he said and I looked at him “I’m joking” he replied smiling. The teacher was walking around checking everyone had partners “Jenna do you have a partner?” she asked, “Yes she’s my partner” Ben said smiling at her “Oh okay” she said walking off.

We finished in class and walked out “So we’re okay for this project thing?” Ben asked and I nodded “Good, well we’ll have to get together sometime to do it but you can always come over mine after football practise one night or something” he suggested and I nodded “You know you help make me more intelligent and I can work at making you talk more, even if its just to me because this will never work if you don’t talk to me” he stated.

“I talk to you” I replied as we got to my locker “Yeah but not willingly, in fact you talk to my dog easier than you do me. Maybe I’ll just bring him along every time I see you” he joked. “Anyway I best get to practise before coach kills me. See you little miss chatterbox,” he teased before wandering over to his friends and leaving.

He spoke to me that night on facebook again, the next day I was sat in Literature when Ben walked in “How’s it going?” he asked as he sat next to me “Good you?” I replied and he nodded “Fancy a new friend in class?” he asked and I looked at him “I meant me, can I sit here?” he asked and I nodded.

He sat with me through class and then we left together “I better go” he said before walking off, I didn’t see him again until I was in last class of the day “Hey Jenna!” I heard him shout and I looked up to see him stood in the doorway, the teacher had just gone to get some photocopying. “Are you free tonight?” he asked and I looked at him “I was wondering if you wanted to come over for that project thing?” he asked and I nodded.

“Okay well I need to take Peyton out when I get in so I’ll come fetch you from yours about 4ish” he said and I nodded “Okay, see you later” he said walking off with his friends who looked confused. A few people whispered before looking over at me and I just carried on with my work, school finished and I walked home to discover my mom was in.

“Jenna!” she shouted and I wandered downstairs “Mike’s coming over in a bit so I’ve made you dinner now” she said and I nodded sitting at the table to eat it, “How’s school?” she asked and I nodded ”Good, have you done all your homework?” she asked and I nodded again. There was a knock at the door and she rushed to answer it and I heard Mike’s voice, “Yeah Jenna’s in the kitchen eating” mom said as they walked in.

“Jenna” he stated and I nodded in reply, if I was honest that was as much as we spoke, he said my name as a greeting and that was about it. I finished eating and she took my stuff cleaning it as I went upstairs grabbing my bag, I was walking back downstairs when I heard the door “Jenna door!” mom shouted from the kitchen “Yeah I’m going out” I shouted back.

“Bye!” she replied and I opened the door to reveal Ben and Peyton whose tail was wagging “Hey, I think your Pey’s new favourite person” Ben stated as I walked out my house. I smiled “So how’s life Jenna?” he asked as we walked towards his house “Okay, yours?” I asked and he sighed “Stressful, we’ve got a big game in a couple weeks and coach keeps getting on at us over it. I don’t think I’ve ever been to so many practises, he just keeps drilling us over and over; I think I might just quit” he admitted.

“Really?” I asked shocked, from what I knew Ben Roethlisberger was one of the best football players in our school; he was popular because of it. All the kids in school knew who he was “Yeah, I mean I’m at school to learn and I never seem to learn much because I’m always at practise or thinking about practise and our next game. I’m pretty sure if I wasn’t on the football team I’d have higher grades,” he explained.

“Oh” I replied “Don’t get me wrong I love football but I guess I need to prioritise and if I don’t have good grades by vacation I think I’ll quit, I can always try out again if I want to” he admitted and I nodded “You should join the football team, you could talk them to death” he joked and I looked at him as he smiled. “I’ve always thought a girl on the football team would be a great idea, you could use her as a distraction plus your smaller so you can fit through smaller gaps” he stated.

“Distraction?” I asked and he nodded “Yeah half the teams we play would never even remember the fact we’re playing football if they saw a girl on the team, especially the all boys schools” he replied. It fell silent before he spoke again “So you never fancied joining the cheerleaders?” he asked “No I don’t think I’d really fit in” I replied and he smiled “Nah probably not, for one you don’t talk enough. I‘ve never met a cheerleader who you don’t think half way through a conversation, will you just shut up for a second” he said and I smiled as he laughed.

“Some of them at our school aren’t so bad but I just get the impression they’d sell you out if it meant getting higher on the pyramid” he added. “Finally! I thought she’d never leave” Ben said and I looked at him “My sister, she’s gone to her boyfriends. She’s been annoying me since I got in from school, she’s broke a couple toes and she’s hopping around the house like her legs falling off” he explained and I smiled.

“How’d she break them?” I asked and he smiled "It’s kind of my fault, I was out back helping dad and I put something on the side while I went to fetch mom and Katie came out to fetch her phone and she must’ve knocked what I’d put down and it fell on her foot. I shouldn’t have really left it where it was so it’s my fault but don’t you dare tell her because she’ll kill me” he warned and I smiled as he opened the front door.