We Can Lay With Our Eyes Closed

Outside Opinion Is Welcomed Right Now!

I walked to meet him and saw him leant up a wall, he smiled walking to me “Hey” I said as he kissed my cheek “Hi” he replied as he pulled me with him. “Hayley these are my parents, guys this is Hayley” he introduced as they smiled at me and we spoke as we had dinner. They seemed really nice but his dad said some strange things, “Hayley do you like Florida?” his mom asked and I nodded “Yeah, it’s nice. People have been nice to me” “So do you have friends and family here?” she said as Kevin talked to his dad.

“Yeah I guess, I know a few people here now” “Do you get along with Kevin’s friends?” she asked “Yeah they’re nice, I like Jeremy” “I didn’t realise you 2 were buddies?” Kevin cut in. “Yeah we’ve been out a couple times” “What?” he asked “We’ve hung out, we’ve been out for coffee and stuff at lunch time. He came to see me the other week at work” “Oh well look at you 2 bonding! Is he the bearer of wise words that made you come see me?” he said and I nodded as he smiled.

“So my son’s apparent clumsiness brought you 2 together I hear?” his mom smiled “Yeah, well that and his manners that everyone else seemed to lack” I replied. We left and they seemed really nice “Guys you remember the way back to mine right because I’m going to walk Hales home?” Kevin asked “Oh we thought she might come home so we could get to know her better” his father said. “She can come back with us but she has work in the morning so she can’t stay long” “Kevin you’re 26, we do understand you share a bed with your girlfriend. The girl can stay over at yours tonight, jeez when did you get so prudish?” his dad laughed and Kevin groaned.

“Looks like you’re staying over, this way you can join in the conversation” “Oh no! Don’t you dare!” I whispered and he smiled “Oh no little miss innocent, you’re joining in this conversation because if you don’t I’ll harm you” he joked and I shook my head at him “Hales we’re in this together, you’re facing this with me whether you want to or not” he grumbled at me as we walked.

We got back to his place and I was in the kitchen making drinks when I felt someone push their arms around my waist “Hey” they whispered and I spun around to see Kevin, “Don’t worry about what they’ll say about us” “But what if they say something?” I asked and he shrugged. “It’s something I’ll have to get used to hearing I guess but trust me when I say I’m used to my parents disapproving of my actions, my mother refused to talk to me when I got my lip pierced and my ears pierced and well my tattoo nearly killed her” he joked before his eyes widened.

“Baby I’m sorry I didn’t mean to say that” he rushed out realising he’d mentioned killing and mom’s in the same sentence “It’s fine” I reassured as he kissed my cheek “You had your lip pierced?” “Yeah when I was younger, you can see the scar if you really look for it. I was a badass Hayley” he grinned and I laughed. “Anyway shall we bite the bullet and get this over with?” he asked and I nodded slowly.

We walked back through and Kevin started talking and I honestly felt sick, I was worried his parents would freak out and he’d take their side or feel pressured by them. “Hayley’s 18 and she was only 17 when we started dating” I heard him say and it fell silent, “Son tell me this is one of them jokes you think is really funny but nobody else gets” his mom stated “Why does everybody think I’m not funny and no this isn’t a joke” he replied.

“Kevin are you freaking kidding me? Your girlfriend’s 18! You’re like 10 years older than her!” his mom scolded “Just around 9 years actually” “Don’t give me attitude Kevin! Where the hell did you find her, I warned you about talking to strangers on the Internet” his mom snapped at him and he laughed. “She’s not a lost dog mom! I met her here you know that, it was just one of them things” Kevin said calmly as I felt awkward.

“One of them things? I’m sorry I don’t ever remember dating someone whose underage!” “I thought she was older, she thought I was younger, when it came out I freaked out but come on you’ve talked to her she’s not a kid. She knows all about shit and she’s fucking mature, I didn’t tell you because I wanted you to give her a shot first off. I thought if you talked to her you’d see that she’s not crazy,” he reasoned.

“It’s not her I’m thinking is crazy, it’s you! Do you even understand the consequences of your actins?” she asked, “Yeah I do, I know what I’ve done and I know that I’ve played by the rules. I’m not stupid mom” “Personal opinion! Dear lord people are going to call my son a pervert, can you imagine the things people will say?” she complained.

“Yeah they probably will but actually I don’t give a fuck. They don’t know me or Hales or the situation, they probably never will but I do and I know I made the right decision here. I’m not asking permission to date Hayley here I’m merely giving you a heads up, I don’t care what you think because it’s my life. I’m the one that dates her not you guys,” he argued back. “I don’t even know what to say to you right now!” she shouted at him before walking off and he sighed “Well that went well” he joked and his dad laughed “Son you got a hot young one, I’ve never been more proud” his dad stated and Kevin burst out laughing.

“Dad!” “What? It’s true, jeez if I could trade your mother in for a younger model I would but apparently marriage doesn’t work that way” his dad smiled and Kevin shook his head “I don’t think I read the terms and conditions correctly, anyway don’t listen to the old woman. If you’re happy, you’re happy. She’ll come around or she won’t does it really matter? You’ve been doing shit for years against her will so carry it on, it’s your life not ours. I best go find her before I get told off” he grumbled getting up and Kevin nodded.

“Just for the record, if it was my life and I managed to get a girl that much younger than me, I wouldn’t care what people said because I’d be the one with the hot young girlfriend not the old one that nags at me. Hayley ignore my wife, she’s…well I’m sure Kevin’s explained. It was nice to meet you” he smiled at me and I nodded. “Babe go to bed I want to talk to my dad” Kevin said kissing the side of my head before I walked off.

I reached the bedroom and I could still hear them partly because I was listening out for their voices whilst getting changed, “Dad thanks, and is that really what you think or were you trying to be polite for a change?” “No that’s what I think, Kevin you have to go your way in life and realise that it’s you who matters. When I married your mother plenty of people tried to stop me and I’m sure they did the same to her, I’m glad I didn’t listen because although she annoys me sometimes she’s made me happy for a long time. Are you happy?” his dad asked him.

“Yeah, I love her. It’s not like the age thing hasn’t been an issue because it has but I think I’m over it now” “Then that’s all that matters, Kevin one more thing. When you say you played by the rules…” his dad trailed off. “Dad come on I’m not talking about this” “Son!” his dad stated and I heard Kevin sigh “I mean I’ve kept it legal and that’s all you’re hearing about it, now go on before mom gets pissed with you. Night and thanks” Kevin answered before I heard him walk in the room.

I felt him climb in the bed shuffling towards me and I smiled “I love you Hales” he whispered kissing my neck before falling asleep and I forced myself to sleep, by the time his parents went home his mom was still not practically talking to him and she wasn’t exactly being friendly towards me. I dialled a number as I walked down to work “Hey, I know this is early but I’m just going to work. Anyway I was wondering if you were free for lunch today? My lunch break is at 1 let me know. Bye” I said hanging up.

It got to lunch and I looked at my phone ‘It’s a date x’ I read smiling before walking out to see Jeremy leant up the wall outside. “Hi” I smiled as I opened the door. “Hello, how are you?” he asked smiling as he hugged me, “I’m good thanks, you?” “Yep I’m great! So where are you taking me for lunch?” he joked and I laughed motioning for him to walk. “I’m sorry if I woke you up this morning” I offered and he shook his head “I was already up, just ignoring you” he grinned and I shook my head at him, we sat down and he looked at me.