The Black Lupin

Ambush

They reached the cold outdoors and Sirius grabbed her hand before they both disappeared with a pop, it took her awhile once they reached the forest to realise where she was but when she did she felt panic flood her body. “I have to go, I can’t be here!” she whispered “Why?” Sirius asked, “Because we’re here, we’ve been in this forest persuading them to join us. There’s people here every night, if they see me with you then they’ll tell him” she explained looking around nervously.

“You’ve been here?” “Yes, I was on night duty here not long ago. We send people to make sure they don’t defect to your side if you find them here, I have to go Sirius, I could get caught here” she said but he shook his head. “You can’t leave, if you leave The Order will abandon its promise to you and someone is bound to tell someone you’ve been working for us” Sirius explained and she shook her head.

“They wouldn’t” “They would, you’re not invaluable to us but you are to him, they know that. The only thing that’s keeping you safe with us is that he trusts you and that people have argued your side but they won’t listen forever if you don’t do your bit, you have to stay tonight, if you…” there was a crack of twigs nearby and they both froze.

Sirius pushed her behind him as he pointed his wand in the direction of the noise, “Show yourself!” he demanded and slowly 5 figures emerged from the trees. “Sirius?” a voice asked and he lowered his wand “Harry” he smiled as the figures reached him “What are you all doing here?” he asked “We’re here to help, Fred and George told us where you were going” Ron admitted and Sirius shook his head.

“You scared us” “Us? Who were you talking to?” Harry asked and Sirius turned but Remy was no longer there “Oh erm…it doesn’t matter” he said, “You shouldn’t be here, you could get hurt” he warned and they nodded “But we want to help, Harry’s got his cloak in case he needs it” Neville answered as they walked quietly onwards.

“Wow, look Ginny, Luna” Hermione said pointing her wand to their right as Sirius spoke to Harry at the back of the group. “I always wanted a horse as a child but my parents said no, hey it’s okay” Hermione reassured edging towards the horse lowering her wand and holding out her hand. “What are you girls doing…is that a unicorn?” Ron asked and Hermione shook her head “Does it look like a unicorn Ronald? It’s a horse, maybe it got out of its field because it doesn’t look wild” “How do you know” he stated walking towards the horse.

“Looks at it, its clean. A wild horse wouldn’t be that clean, look how white its feet and that patch on its face it, it’d be dirty if it was wild” she explained “Oh well then it’s used to people isn’t it” he said walking quicker to the horse and going to pat it and it moved its head away from him. “Careful Ron it might be scared” Ginny cut in as Luna smiled watching the horse, “If its not wild it belongs to someone so it’s used to people so it won’t…bloody hell!” he shouted and the others ran to the noise.

“What’s going on?” Neville asked “The bloody horse stood on my foot and it won’t get off” he said trying to push it off and Sirius tried not to laugh, the horse picked its foot up and Ron pulled his foot away quickly limping away from it. “I told you Ron but you never listen” Ginny stated as Ron examined his foot with Hermione’s help, Sirius walked towards it “Careful its dangerous” Ron informed and Sirius shook his head.

“You’ve just got to know how to treat them haven’t you” Sirius said patting it’s neck and scratching it’s ear “I thought you’d left, nice camouflage” he stated “Who are you talking to?” Harry asked confused looking around “The horse” “The horse, you’re talking to the horse?” Ron snapped shaking his head as he leant on Hermione’s shoulder and she rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, now go and put yourself back to normal because you’re not going to get caught it’s only these idiots” Sirius ordered and the horse walked behind some trees and Remy walked out the other side “What?” “Ron the horse that stood on your foot was Remy, she’s an animagus” Sirius explained.

“Its been a while since I saw the old black horse” Sirius smiled as they walked onwards “It’s not old!” she cut back and he nodded “Longbottom you do realise that I’m aware of you breaking rules now” Remy said and Neville looked back at her. “Professor I…” “It’ll be our secret” she cut in and he nodded turning back to the others “Being nice?” Sirius teased “No he’s just…” “Oh come on,” he said. “Fine I like the boy, he shows promise. When he applies himself he is gifted in potions and if Severus was to give him some gentle guidance then he’d excel” she explained.

“You think?” “He just needs confidence in himself and he’s a slower learner. My brother goes on about Potter but I think Longbottom would be far ahead of him if Professors at the castle gave students a helping hand” she admitted and Sirius smiled. “Careful there’s Death Eaters in the forest” Sirius warned and they all nodded, they edged deeper into the forest only to hear voices and they all froze, Remy walked on to see two young boys.

“What are you two doing?” “Night duty, we were all together but they went to see what the noise was and they’ve not returned. Why are you here?” the shorter blonde boy asked. “Business, how many of you is there?” “4, us and Christall and Bricksly” he answered, “Making you prove yourselves is he?” and they nodded “Are you checking up on us?” “Something like that, did you hear that?” she asked.

“What?” “That! Someone’s out there, one of you go that way and the other that way. Quick!” she ordered and they did as they were told. She looked to see one disappear before turning to face the shorter one and a green bolt of light hit his shoulder and he fell to the floor motionless, “Lupin!” a voice cried out and she ran to the voice to see the other twin surrounded by Ron, Hermione, Sirius, Neville, Luna and Ginny.

“They came from nowhere,” he said shaking and she moved to him her wand pointed directly at Neville, “Crucio!” the boy shouted knocking Sirius off his feet “Avada Kedavra” she shouted and the boy dropped to the floor. She ran to Sirius helping him up “Bloody useless Snatchers! The others will be fine I think even little Miss Hufflepuff could take Christall and Bricksly” Remy explained and Sirius brushed himself down nodding.

“Hermione be quiet” “No it’s horrible” she cut back “What’s going on?” Sirius asked “The way she kills people, its horrible” Hermione complained and Sirius rolled his eyes “Yes Hermione we’d all prefer it but I’m afraid if she wasn’t so handy with the killing curse they’d be less of us stood here right now” Sirius defended “Kill or be killed” Remy said. “Still I think it’s horrible, she obviously doesn’t care because I would never be able to do it. She must not have a soul,” Hermione grumbled and Remy walked off “Hermione you can’t go saying that! That girl is incredibly brave for what she’s doing and if she didn’t have a soul she’d not be trying to save Draco, she’s lost her only friend in the world and maybe to you she doesn’t seem bothered anymore but she is. We must give her a break, I know she says the wrong things and she’s mean to people but it’ll take a lot to break those habits” Sirius reasoned before signalling for them to follow him after Remy.