Teen Angst

17

I spent the most awkward 30 minutes of my life sat with Crabbe on our own, don’t get me wrong I loved Crabbe but as a friend and we weren’t the most talkative of friends at that. “So Groshank’s been let out of the school. People like her normally just hang around in dark alleyways” a voice said and I saw Ron Weasley “People like me?” I asked “Yeah Death Eaters” he snapped back.

“Death Eaters? I’m not a Death Eater” “Sure didn’t look that way when you were sending killing curses around, your no good” he snided. “And what would you know?” “That Groshank’s have a history as Death Eaters, uncle and cousin isn’t it that’s in Azkaban for being Death Eaters?” Ron asked loudly and everyone looked over.

I felt my throat close up as people started to whisper “I-I…” “No wonder you got sorted in Slytherin, destined to follow in their footsteps. I bet they’re so proud that you’ve mastered the Unforgivable Curses at 14, they’re saving a cell in Azkaban for you right now” Ron said and I stood up. “I’ve got to go,” I mumbled practically running out “Don’t you dare…” I heard someone shout and I ran straight to the place most people stayed away from.

I sat in the cold when I heard footsteps “Go away” I said but they kept walking “If you want to make it back to Hogwarts then leave!” I shouted aiming my wand behind me “If you want to have a friend to copy from I suggest you put that down” I heard Draco say and I put it back in my pocket.

“Leave me alone” “Hey come on don’t let them upset you” he offered sitting at my side “Draco they just told everyone, they might as well of stood up in the great hall and said it because you know it’ll be common knowledge by tomorrow morning” I explained. “And why does it even matter? So your relatives are in Azkaban, so are mine. Look at the people you are friends with and tell me that people didn’t suspect something like this in your family” he stated.

“Suspect Draco, now they all know its true and they will all know that I used the…” “Oh people already know you know how to do that sort of thing, that’s why Snape wouldn’t let McGonagall have your wand. He knows you did it, but I also think he knows you won’t do anything stupid with it. If it was me he’d be punishing me, he knows I have a short temper but really he knows you’re a good witch” he reasoned.

“But…” “Christy it doesn’t matter whether you can do them curses or not and it certainly doesn’t matter who your family are. Your dad’s a Hit Wizard who risks his life catching criminals, people won’t hate you if anything they’ll be nicer because they don’t want to fall out with you. Weasley asked his dad about your family and he told him, so that’s how he found out” he informed and I nodded. “Anyway turns out Crabbe isn’t going to be a good boyfriend,” he stated changing the topic.

I looked at him confused “Well he let you deal with it, he should’ve stuck up for you. Don’t worry I’ll get him whilst he’s sleeping again” “You can go back to Arielle you know,” I said staring at the shack in the distance. “God no, I know how to cut my losses, she flicks her hair anymore she’ll knock me out with it” he admitted and I laughed.

“I believe that they call it flirting Draco, she sent you one of them cards you got. She was asking me about it the other day” I explained “Seriously?” “Yeah. Said you’d been eating with her whilst I was away and that you’ve got the evil thing going on, I told her no soppy love stuff. Told her to tell you straight,” I admitted and he laughed “Well that’s awkward because now I’m going to look like I wanted to go out with her today. Looks like a date now, oh I’ll tell her to get lost” he stated.

“Draco!” “What? She obviously likes me when I’m evil” he joked and I laughed “I can’t believe Crabbe likes you, I nearly fell out of bed when he said it. I mean I literally died inside, Goyle was crying he was laughing that much” “Charming Draco, just charming” I snapped getting up. “Well come on, it’d be the ultimate brains and brawn matching. I always saw him as more of a Bulstrode sort of boy” he stated and I laughed, “To be fair I see where you’re coming from there,” I admitted and he laughed getting up.

“Goyle thought he was joking until he made him write the card with his left hand, I mean Goyle struggles to write with his right hand so the left one was disastrous” Draco joked and I laughed again. “I’d rather you dated Potter than Crabbe” “You think Potter’s interested?” I said and he glared at me “Ergh, my first valentine’s day card comes from Crabbe, my life sucks so badly” I complained. “Nothing more can go wrong today I guarantee you that,” I said being dramatic and he looked at The Shrieking Shack.

“Fine Malfoy I’m game, lets go,” I stated grabbing his hand and dragging him down the path to the shack. We crept in looking carefully as we walked down the hallway, I pointed up the stairs and he shook his head but I went anyway “You got a death wish?” he whispered and I nodded. There was one door at the top and I went to open it but he knocked my hand away “One of these days you will get us both in serious trouble” he stated before pulling his wand out his pocket and pushing me behind him as he opened the door to see an abandoned room.

“Why do you always do that?” I asked as I pushed him in the room “What” “The not letting me go anywhere first, you always have to be first don’t you! I can’t see or do anything first, I’ve always got to be after you” I grumbled and he shook his head. “I’m trying to protect you, I’m not going to send you in somewhere that’s not safe” “Why because your so much more advanced in magic than me?” I snapped back and he sighed.

“Fine be in a bad mood, see what I care!” “I will thank you very much, I hate that you don’t see me as your equal” I argued picking up stuff from the sides and looking at it. “I do see you as my equal, half the time your above me” “Then why do you treat me like this?” I growled knocking something over. “Because isn’t that how it works out? Work together until it comes to dangerous stuff and then you protect the…” “Weakest person” I finished for him.

“The girl, isn’t it supposed to be chivalrous?” he asked “Like you care about all that” I cut back “Fine next time I’ll send you first, show off your talents against whatever it is that presents itself” he shouted. “Yep thanks, as long as that’s okay with your dad” I said before thinking about it “This has nothing to do with my dad, why does that always have to be the first thing you say to me?” he asked.

“Because you do everything he wants you to do, the person you are when he’s around is different to the person you are when he’s not” “What like everyone else is? Nobody is the same in front of their parents, you need to drop the dad topic with me” he warned. “No Draco, I hate how you are with him, you act like he wants you to act and you’ll turn into him” I shouted back “And then we won’t be friends anymore” I added.

“All this because I won’t let you go first in situations that could be dangerous? All because I stick up for you and look out for you? My dad doesn’t do that for my mum or me, he’d send us first if it’d save his own skin sometimes. You know what next time you’ll be alone so I won’t have the thought of going first” he shouted “Fine by me” I growled.

“Your just annoyed you got your first valentine’s card from Crabbe and your taking it out on me” “No!” I shouted, “Yes! It’s Crabbe; deal with it. Anyway I can’t believe you’ve managed to get me to come in here. This place is haunted you know” he said picking up a book and blowing dust off it. “Yeah I heard, not really scary though is it?” I asked and he looked at me “Speak for yourself” he replied.