Teen Angst

20

I listened as Professor Flitwick talked about spells and then I zoned out completely, “Christy!” I heard someone shout and I jumped looking in the direction of the voice “Be me partner?” Crabbe asked and I pretended to look sorry “I can’t sorry, I already have one” I said pointing to Goyle and Crabbe glared at him. We all started practising spells when someone’s backfired and there was a massive bang and we all started to laugh.

“Less laughing more casting,” Professor shouted and we all carried on before Professor Flitwick left Professor McGonagall in charge, “Shall we see a demonstration of the protection charm, erm Mr Potter and Mr Weasley come up here will you please” she said and they started to demonstrate it. “I’d pay good money to see Weasley’s protection shield fail,” I whispered and a few people around me laughed. McGonagall asked a question and the familiar voice of Hermione Granger answered it.

“Does that girl ever shut up? I mean seriously, no amount of knowledge will make up for the lack of magical blood she has” Goyle said quietly and we started to laugh “Sorry is there something funny you’d like to share?” McGonagall stated and we all shook our heads. “Thank you gentleman, now Mrs Granger would you like to come up and show us protection charms with…” “Groshank, perhaps you could aid in this demonstration?” Snape said from nowhere and I looked to see him walk up onto the raised area and I nodded.

“Miss Groshank it is then, now you understand that you are only aiming to disarm or to…” “I believe Miss Groshank understands the idea is to only temporarily put off or disarm the opponent; not to cause serious damage” Professor Snape cut in and McGonagall nodded. “Miss Granger will attempt a protection shield first” she said and we walked away from each other “1…2…3” “Everte Statum” I stated and the spell was deflected to the claps from the Gryffindor’s.

McGonagall smiled at her “Now Miss Groshank it is your turn to attempt protection shields. 1...2...3” she counted in “Expelliarmus!” Hermione shouted and I flicked my wand, the spell rebounded knocking her backwards and I heard all the Slytherin’s cheering and I saw a smile flick across Snape’s face. After another 30 minutes of listening to McGonagall going on and on about protection charms it was time to go.

“Groshank be in my office in 5 minutes!” Snape shouted over the noise of people leaving and I groaned “See you guys later!” I shouted as they all headed outside and I walked down to the dungeons. I knocked on the door and it opened to reveal Snape sat behind his desk “Sit down” he ordered and I did as I was told, “Have I done something wrong Professor?” I asked. “I’m merely interested as to how a 14 year old student has the ability to be performing non-verbal magic and also to be performing unforgivable curses,” he said and I looked at him.

“Well” “I just know how to” I lied “Nobody knows how to do them without being taught now tell me how, because I’m aware you’ve been told off for using magic outside of Hogwarts on one occasion but that is all so is someone within the castle teaching you this?” he asked and I shook my head.

He looked at me as a sign to talk “M-My dad taught me and my cousins” I admitted and he stared at me “And how have you learnt this without using magic outside of school?” “Oh they taught me at home and then I practise here” I explained and he nodded. “Need I remind you the Unforgivable Curses are named so for a reason and are not to be used. Also I’d like to inform you that Professor McGonagall is aware of your recent behaviour and don’t think you have in any way fooled her with the covering up of your spell usage” he said and I nodded.

“I’m sorry Professor” I offered and he nodded “Our new Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher starts next week” I nodded slowly “You may go now, oh Groshank I have 2 words for you. Arania Exumai, try practising that one and using that on spiders instead” he stated and I smiled. “They just creep me out Professor” “Yes well so do students who know magic above their level and use it dangerously, now go” he ordered and I left.

I went to the common room and grabbed my homework heading to the library and sitting down finishing my History Of Magic essay before pulling the only one I had left to do out. Herbology. I went to fetch some books and as I was walking down the shelf I heard someone reading a question out, “How am I meant to know what to add to that?” they said quietly as if talking to themselves and I went to put a book on the table with my stuff when I saw the person I’d heard was Neville Longbottom.

I went back to fetch another book when I heard him reading the question again “How do I know, I hate Potions” he mumbled and I smiled “I’d try putting ground unicorn horn and wormwood in it” I said as I walked past him down the aisle. “What?” he asked and I smiled “Oculus Potion. Ingredients include Wormwood, stewed Mandrake, ground Unicorn horn and crystallised water” I replied.

“How do you…” “Known cure for the Conjunctivitis Curse, it’s in this book” I said pulling the book from the shelf and holding it out for him and he took it from me. I sat back down at the table opening one of the books “How do you even know that?” “I’ve done my homework but Potions is a class I like” I admitted as he sat opposite me “You know parchment and quills normally help when your writing an essay” I stated and he reddened, “I’ll go get them” he mumbled walking off.

I started to write down the essay for Herbology when I saw him sit back down opposite me again “Is your dad okay now?” he asked quietly and I nodded “Back at work already, no convincing him to move departments though” I replied smiling. “Do you know whether there’s any books on people in Azkaban?” a girl asked her friend as she walked past “No but hang on a minute, Groshank you know anyone in Azkaban?” the girl next to her asked and I looked up.

I shook my head looking back down at the books “Oh yeah, Groshank’s got family in there” “Get lost,” I said quietly, “What are they in there for again? Death Eaters right?” “Leave her alone” Neville snapped. “What’s going on here?” Madam Pince asked “Nothing, sorry we’ll be quiet” I cut in before anyone else could, “Yes well get on with your work all of you” she ordered and the girls walked off.

“Thanks, you didn’t have to do that. You can go if you want, I understand,” I said quietly “Why?” “Because like they said people in my family are in Azkaban and your family were…” I trailed off. “Plus I’m sure your friends have told you about my little spider incident” I added and he nodded “So you don’t like spiders I take it?” he asked as we both carried on writing and I laughed shaking my head.

“They freak me out so badly, I mean how many legs do they want” I answered, I got to the end of my essay reading it over “Done finally! I need to hand it in now” I said “Me too, you finished your Potions essay?” I nodded. “I need to hand it in as well, I better go fetch it before I forget. That’s all I need Snape failing me” I joked, “Well I need to hand my Herbology one in as well, you want to go together?” he said and I nodded.

“Well I’ll go get my essay and meet you in the Entrance Hall” he suggested “Yeah okay” I smiled getting up and putting my books back and we both left. I ran down to the dungeons dropping everything in my dormitory “Christy” someone shouted as I ran back downstairs and I looked back to see a girl from the year below us. “Arielle said to tell you they’ve all gone to the quidditch pitch” “Okay…thanks” I replied leaving.

I got into the Entrance Hall and saw Neville stood by the stairs and I smiled at him and he walked over “I thought we were both going to the dungeons?” “We are, come on,” I said and he looked confused. “My common room’s down there” I added and he nodded, I knocked on the office door “Professor I’ve got my essay,” I said and the door opened to reveal Snape sat at his desk.