Teen Angst

27

I found myself in the common room later with Draco sat with Arielle blanking me totally, I grabbed my parchment and quill heading to the library. I saw Madame Pince walk out as I dropped my stuff on a table nearby, “Groshank what’s this I’ve been hearing about you?” I heard someone say and turned to see nobody near me. “You’re not going to do my homework? I don’t think you’re in any position to be saying that” “I’ll get in trouble” I heard my brother say and I looked to see a Slytherin student stood in front of him at another table.

“I don’t care, you’ll be in more trouble if you don’t do it” “What’s going on?” I asked walking to them, “Oh here’s big sister, come to save him?” he asked and I recognised him as a 3rd year. “How about you go do your own homework and I’ll forget what you said to Skylar” I stated, “How about you go back to your Gryffindor friends, you don’t scare me” he grinned and I nodded.

“I don’t but I should, look I might have friends in Gryffindor but I also happen to be better at magic than you and I really doubt you’d like to come across a Cruciatus curse would you?” I growled and he looked at me before walking off. “Skylar go and sit over there and I’ll be over in a minute,” I stated walking back to get a book.

2 days later I was walking downstairs when I heard someone shouting in pain and I opened the door to the girls dorm to see the student that was talking to my brother previously dangling in mid air. I saw a jet of light hit him and he squirmed complaining and I looked to see it was Marcus Flint who was responsible “What…” “Next time you want your homework doing how about you try doing it yourself, if I find you threatening Groshank again you’ll get far worse!” Marcus threatened letting the kid hit the floor.

I heard someone laugh and then Draco groaned in pain “And don’t think you’re better than a warning either Malfoy!” Marcus growled, I saw Draco raise his wand and Marcus shot a curse over his shoulder without turning around and I tried not to laugh as Draco hit the far wall. “Don’t raise your wand to me Malfoy!” he snapped, “Christy I believe we have a date in the library young lady” Marcus smiled at me and I nodded.

“Then lets be going,” he said waiting for me and I followed him out the room, “You know you don’t have to stick up for us” “Me? Yes I do, Skylar and you are friends of mine,” he answered and we walked the rest of the way in silence. We sat doing homework together and I looked up to see him staring out the window at the snow, I rolled my eyes looking back down at my work only to feel something on my hand and I looked to see Marcus’ quill and I laughed at him.

“Are you going to Hogsmeade tomorrow?” I shrugged at him “Well I was wondering if you’d want to come with me, we can go to the Three Broomsticks or something?” he asked and I smiled at him nodding. “Unless you had plans to do something with that Longbottom kid?” “Nope” I replied, “And he won’t mind us going together?” “Why would he? We’re friends Flint” I answered him and he smiled at me nodding.

We walked back in the common room together and Marcus kept making me laugh, I noticed Draco sat with Crabbe, Goyle and Arielle trying to ignore our existence. When the older Slytherin’s started playing quidditch with a scrap piece of scroll, they were running around the common room in between everyone when one threw it at me and I caught it throwing it back.

He went to throw it back again later in the game and I felt someone run straight in to me sending me flying but they grabbed me breaking my fall themselves, I heard Flint’s laugh near my ear and I shook my head. “God Flint you nearly took out our new beater then! Why do you have to be so rough?” one of the boys joked and Flint laughed pushing us both up, “Got a comment Malfoy”? Flint growled at him and he smiled “I said because he’s all brawn and no brain” Draco joked and his friends laughed.

“Yeah I heard all about your Outstanding’s in your O.W.L’s…oh no wait you didn’t get any but I did” Marcus cut back and I smiled at him. Draco glared at me before turning his back on us, I’d only known Marcus Flint since I was in 2nd year when I accidentally set fire to Crabbe’s robe and he helped put it out.

He seemed a bit of an idiot at first but when you’re in your second year and a 4th year talks to you constantly and acknowledges you in front of his friends you get a bit ‘taken’ by them. He was Quidditch captain and would often talk to Draco and me about quidditch.

Over the years he’d just become a better friend and someone I spoke to a lot, my parents thought he was nice however I think if you really asked them they preferred Draco but preferred Marcus’ parents to The Malfoys. I woke up the next morning to see Arielle messing around with her hair chatting to one of the other girls and I got up used to her ignoring me by now.

I walked in pulling my coat and scarf on before sitting on my bed, “Oh we’re just going to hang out, probably just go to find Draco’s mother a present for her birthday” Arielle bragged as I put my boots on. “You’re going to Hogmeade?” the other girl in our dorm asked and I nodded “Any plans?” I nodded smiling “Yeah Flint asked me” I answered.

“Like a date? Just you 2?” “Yeah just us 2” I said as I stood up, “You have a date with Marcus Flint? I always see you eating with them or talking to them lot nowadays, you were playing with them last night,” she stated smiling and I nodded. “Didn’t he ask you to the ball twice?” “Yeah he did,” I answered her aware that Arielle was listening to us now.

“I’m probably not meant to tell you this at all but Zabini admitted last night he was going to ask you to go to the tea rooms with him today” “Oh really? We’ll see anyway I best go. I’ll see you later” I smiled running out and down the stairs and straight in to my brother. “Christy, Marcus said I had to tell you that he had to go give Snape his essay but he’d meet you in the entrance hall” I nodded “Okay, be good” I joked as I walked out.

“Miss Groshank” I heard as I waited and saw Marcus walking up to me “Mr Flint” I laughed and he smiled “I have something for you” I looked at him as he held his hand out, “Not it’s probably all nonsense because I heard it from a group of Ravenclaw students but they reckon this keeps the spiders away and I thought to myself Christy Groshank could use some of that so got some” he explained moving the piece of blue rock in his fingers.

“Isn’t that in Professor Flitwick’s classroom?” “Yes so if anybody asks you where it came from you bought it from Diagon Alley” he laughed and I shook my head “Marcus Flint you’re not supposed to steal things for people” “Yes well it was a special occasion, a one off” he lied and I laughed at him taking it from him and putting it in my pocket.

“I will always keep it close by to see if it really does work then, thank you” I replied and he smiled, “Come on lets go” he said as we walked off. Now maybe he wasn’t going to ever be as attractive as Blaise Zabini or half the other boys but he was a nice boy, you probably wouldn’t say that if you played against him at quidditch or got on his bad side but he really was a nice boy.