Teen Angst

9

It was Christmas morning when I woke up early as usual running downstairs to see nobody else in the common room, I groaned sprinting up the boys dormitory steps and running straight into Draco’s room to see him, Goyle, Crabbe and Skylar all sat stuffing their faces full of sweets. “Charming so I don’t get an invite” I shouted and Skylar ran at me “We can’t get to your dorms remember” Crabbe cut in and I nodded.

I threw him and Goyle a box each before throwing a larger one at Draco and then held out a bigger package at Skylar. Crabbe and Goyle were happy with their sweets, Skylar was ecstatic with his new quill and sweets whilst Draco was grinning at the fact I’d bought him the weird thing he’d wanted from Borgin and Burkes despite not even knowing what it was and whether it was particularly legal for me to buy it.

We spent the day in the common room looking at our new presents and eating far too many sweets before going down to have dinner together, I was about to sit down when Professor Snape asked to speak to me and I walked off with him. “Christy I’m afraid I’ve just received some bad news, your father’s been taken to St. Mungo’s. He was involved in a duel with somebody and he was injured, he’ll be fine but the hospital said you should go and see him, he also said he doesn’t want your brother to find out” he explained and I chewed my lip nodding.

“H-How do I get there?” I asked trying to keep myself from crying “I can take you, meet me in the entrance hall in 10 minutes and I can take you there” he said and I nodded before taking a few deeps breaths. I walked back over grabbing Draco “Snape say’s he wants to see us about some stupid duel thing or something” I lied dragging him with me despite his complaints.

“Come on let me…this is ridiculous!” he growled and I stopped dead “Draco you need to look after Skylar for me okay? Dad’s in St Mungo’s and I’ve got to go visit him but he doesn’t want Skylar knowing! Tell him that he’s contacted our parent’s about us using spells in the corridors and mum and dad have demanded I come home tonight” I rambled and he hugged me against him.

“Is he okay?” I shrugged “Professor Snape say’s so but I’ll let you know when I get there, please just look after him and make sure he doesn’t find out. Don’t tell anyone,” I ordered and he nodded. “Christy are you ready?” I heard Snape ask and I nodded as I wiped my eyes “Be safe and let me know how he is, tell him to get better from me” Draco said as he walked back into the Great Hall.

Professor Snape led me into his office “Here take my hand, have you ever used apparation before?” he asked “Yeah I felt sick” I replied and he nodded before the world around me squeezed and it felt like I was being punched in every part of my body. We landed in a dark snow covered street and he gave me orders of where to go and left me, I wandered into the hospital as I was told and looked at the map before heading up to the fourth floor – Spell Damage.

I looked around as I reached the floor before a middle-aged witch stopped me “Are you lost dear?” “I-I’m looking for my dad Mr Groshank, I was told he was here” I replied and she nodded walking off and I took it as I was to follow her. She stopped in front of a bed and I saw my dad “He was hit by a few spells and he mixture’s caused some temporary damage, he’ll be fine don’t you worry dear. He’ll be back at work before new years” she reassured before walking off.

“Dad” I said hugging him and he smiled “I’m…fine” he managed and I knew he was lying “Draco said to get better and he’ll look after Skylar while I’m here, told him I’ve been demanded home for misbehaving” I explained “I hope you haven’t been doing so” “Would I dad?” I asked and he raised his eyebrows making me smile.

I sat talking to him or rather talking at him when I noticed he’d gone to sleep “Dear why don’t you go get something to eat” the same woman suggested and I nodded getting up and wandering off. I walked to the stairs before leaning against the wall crying, I slid down the wall resting my head on my knees. Who knows how long I was there before I heard someone say something “A-Are you…okay?” they asked, I shook my head “Are you lost or something?” they said and I shook my head.

I looked up to see Neville Longbottom “Ch-Christy Groshank?” he asked and I nodded “Why are…why are you here?” he said looking awkward and I rubbed my yes “My dad, he’s…well I don’t know really. Snape brought me here, he’s been hurt at work” I rambled and he nodded. He said he was going upstairs to get something to eat and I followed him not really wanting to be on my own even if he didn’t want me to follow him.

“Did you have dinner at the castle?” I shook my head “I’m not hungry” “Go sit down and I’ll come over” he ordered and I just wandered over to a table sitting down staring at the floor. I jumped as I heard someone near me and looked up to see Neville with food “Hungry?” I asked and he shrugged “Maybe you’ll have to help me eat it all” he stated and I shook my head.

“Come on you can’t not eat all the time he’s in here, if I’d done that I’d be dead by now” he stated offering me a pumpkin pasty and I took it from him, “I-I don’t have any money” “I owe you for bringing Trevor back so call it even” he offered and I nodded slowly taking a bite from the pasty.

It stayed silent until I realised what he’d said “What do you mean you’d be dead by now and why are you here?” I asked “Well I’d have died from not eating if I didn’t eat because someone was in here” “Is your grandmother ill?” I said and he shook his head. “Oh I just presumed…” “It’s my parents,” he said turning slowly red “Oh I thought they…I heard they’d…” I trailed off feeling awkward.

“Sorry” I stated, “What floor’s your dad on?” “Fourth” I mumbled playing with the bracelet around my right wrist “You’re dad buy you that?” he asked before pointing to it “Oh no, Mr Malfoy bought me it. I promised Draco I’d tell him how dad is, is there any owls around here?” I rambled.

“Yeah, if you tell someone they’ll send a message for you. What’s your dad do?” he said “Hit Wizard for the Ministry, yours?” I asked then realised “Sorry I didn’t” “He was an auror, so was my mum” he explained “That’s what my dad wanted to be but he didn’t get the job so…don’t know why he chose something dangerous! He could get himself killed” Sorry I didn’t think, I never meant…” “They’re not dead you know, they live here though. Same floor as your dad, they’re in a sealed bit though” he admitted.