Status: In progress...

What's Your Sign?

Two

It wasn't until Thursday that Ivy's horoscope began to come true.

She was called to the Smartboard to solve for the length of the missing angle, but she knew she had misplaced her Smartpen. She'd been avoiding participation in class all week for this reason.

"Miss Forbes?" Ivy's teacher questioned, urging her to stand.

Ivy held her breath and stood with shaky knees. "I seemed to have misplaced my Smartpen."

The class released a gasp in unison. To the average student, the Smartpen contained each and every document, textbook, and assignment she needed to pass. It was also the only instrument accepted in schoolwork. In all honesty, it was the ultimate school companion, and Ivy had lost hers in the midst of her confusing life.

"Would someone like to allow Miss Forbes to borrow his or her Smartpen?"

Ivy nearly died of humiliation as the deafening silence ensued.

But then, a ray of sunshine.

~oOo~

Nathan tried to conceal his smirk as the yellow-haired girl cowered in her seat.

"Miss Forbes?"

Nate knew Ivy's name. In fact, he might have spoken to her once or twice before. She was the quiet type, but he knew to watch out for those. He also knew the ID number on her Smartpen: Twenty-six.

Ivy's icy blue eyes dropped to her shaky knees. "I seemed to have misplaced my Smartpen."

Nate prepared himself silently for the next few moments. He felt the pen-shaped tool prodding his leg through his pocket. And the poor girl thought she misplaced it.

"Would someone like to allow Miss Forbes to borrow his or her Smartpen?"

The look on Ivy's face would have the homeless covering her shoulders with their only street-soiled blankets.

Nate allowed the silence to fill the room to the brim before he rose from his seat.

"She can borrow mine." He said smoothly, offering his own Smartpen to the girl.

Ivy only made eye contact for a moment, then dropped them just a fast. Nate enjoyed the touch of pink in her rounded cheeks.

"Thank you." She muttered.

Nate nodded once and sat back in his chair, the curious eyes of his classmates burning holes in his face. They acted as if he and Ivy had just conceived a child right before their very eyes.

Nate humored himself and leaned back in the chair. That girl will never lose her Smartpen again, and she didn't even make it difficult. Another horoscope solved in less than a week, a belated birthday present to himself. He was getting way too good at this.

. . . .

Ivy closed her fingers around the cool, metallic frame of the Smartpen and tried to focus enough and solve the problem. Geometry wasn't her strong suit, but angles weren't too challenging.

Ivy took a breath that filled her lungs to the brim. She began to scribble the answer to the problem in a hasty manner, dismissing the sloppy curve to her numbers. There were other classmates with worse handwriting -- like Nathan Rice.

Ivy nearly cringed as she felt his carelessness creep into her fingertips through his Smartpen. It was rumored that they concealed the owner's habits and personality, which is why most of the class was hesitant in allowing Ivy to involuntarily see a deeper side.

Some unknown alignment of the stars allowed her to glance at the number engraved on the base of the Smartpen: Three.