‹ Prequel: Never Alone
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed.

The Space Between

Won't you clue me in on the plan?

"Jen when is your doctor appointment?" John asked eyeing his girlfriend from the bed. He hadn't realized it, probably because he was just happy to be home, but now he saw just how little she seemed to have gotten recently. The small tank top clinging to her seemed to show more bones than he recalled and it nerved him.

"Uh, tomorrow afternoon."

John nodded as the girl spun around to face him.

"Why?"

"Just curious. Want me to go?"

She shook her head no and he sighed, "Sure?"

"Yeah, I probably just had a virus or something. Relax."

"It's you, Jen. I can never just relax." He responded with a weak grin. She rolled her eyes and brushed back his hair with her fingers, "I'm fine."

"You just look like you've lost weight."

"I don't think boyfriends usually complain about things like that."

"Um, well one, you are perfect the way you are so yeah. Plus, I just want to make sure you're healthy."

"John. I'm fine." She responded cupping his face as she smiled.

"Just let me come with you."

"If it will make you feel better, sure."

"It will." He mumbled placing his hands on her hips.

He raised up a bit to kiss her softly, "I can't help but worry about you, ladybug. You're my world."

She grinned and he pulled her gently into his lap, "I'm sure it's nothing. I just think that well, you are getting a bit skinny and I'm not dating a model for a reason."

"Yeah because they aren't as witty as me." She joked causing him to laugh, "Ok, that too, but come on Jen, have you not been eating or something?"

"John! Yes, I have."

"Well I'm just saying! I mean, it kind of startled me now that I noticed it!"

Jenna bit her bottom lip as his green eyes stared back at her. She really hadn't been paying attention although her pants seemed a bit looser than before but she just had assumed she wore them too much. He sighed before pressing his lips to her temple.

"I love you." He whispered wrapping the small girl in his arms as he leaned against the headboard. He wished he didn't worry so much, but he couldn't help it. He loved her too much to not do so.

John laid there in thought as the girl slept against his chest. His thoughts getting the best of him. Now that he thought about it Jenna seemed slimmer and since he had been home she had slept more than he remembered. Hell, at this point he wanted her to be pregnant just so he could know what was going on with her.

He finally made himself slide out from under the girl and she mumbled something as he covered her up.

"You can stay asleep. I'll be right back baby." He whispered stroking her hair and she nodded not bothering to open her eyes. He kissed her forehead before grabbing up his phone and keys.

He left the house quietly and drove to Garrett's in no hurry. He knocked twice before letting himself in and Garrett walked in from the kitchen.

"Yo." He stated as John shut the door.

"Oh. Jen not with you?" Garrett asked with a raised eyebrow. It was weird to see them apart none the less have John alone at his house.

"Nah. Dude. Something is wrong."

Garrett groaned, "Are you two fighting again?"

"No. Not like that it's just...have you realized how skinny she is right now? Like she's never been big, but now it kind of scares me. I didn't notice until earlier..."

"Well, no...I haven't..." Garrett stated as his mind wondered to his sister. He felt a bit guilty now as if he hadn't been paying attention when he swore he would since Eric was gone.

"Well you're going to flip when you do..." John grumbled sitting on the couch with a sigh.

"Do you think she's...I don't know...making herself skinny?" Garrett asked as he eyed the boy.

"No, I mean, no, she's acting the same and everything. Surely there would be another example of it if she was like making herself throw up or something."

"Yeah..."

"I'm just worried. Maybe it's stress or I don't know. She's going to the doctor tomorrow."

"Are you going?"

"Yeah."

"Dude, I'm sure she's fine. You tend to make it worse in your head."

"I know, but it's Jenna."

Garrett chuckled, "I know, man. She's my sister."

John breathed in as he relaxed in his seat. He was just paranoid. He needed to relax. Garrett was right.

"Where is she?" Garrett asked falling back into his seat.

"At home asleep."

Garrett nodded, "And you're here?"

"Can I not just missed you, man?"

Garrett scoffed, "No."

John couldn't help but laugh, "I was worried. I needed you to be the logical one."

"Ah I see. I'm a bit flattered."

John rolled his eyes, "Of course. Well, I'm going back home since clearly I'm not wanted here."

Garrett laughed, "Right. That's the reason."

John said goodbye as he left and headed back home. He at least felt a bit better after talking to Garrett. He walked into the house and shut the door quietly not wanting to wake Jenna if she was still asleep.

He tip toed to the bedroom and came in view of the girl sitting on the edge of the bed rubbing her eyes.

"Hey pretty girl." He cooed and her eyes diverted to him.

"Hi."

He crawled onto the bed as he placed a kiss to her cheek.

"Why did you let me sleep so late?"

"You clearly were tired."

She didn't respond and he wrapped his arms around her, "Are you hungry?"

"Not really, but clearly you are going to make me eat, so sure."

"You don't have to if you don't want to." He whispered against her shoulder.

"I will."

"Well tell me what you want and I'll make it happen."

She shrugged and he kissed her neck, "You've been sleeping a lot lately."

"I know and I don't know why."

"Are you stressed? Depressed? Anything?"

Jenna shook her head, "Neither of those I don't believe."

"Ok..."

"Stop worrying!"

"Jenna! I can't! I tried!"

She turned and wrapped her arms around him, pressing her face to his chest.

"I'm fine. Probably just getting sick."

"Yeah you're right..." He mumbled as he tried to shake his thoughts. He knew the truth was she probably was getting sick, but it wasn't in his thought process to think positive. Especially when it came to Jenna.

The next day he couldn't stop fidgeting on the ride to her doctor appointment. He just wanted her to be normal and he was hoping after this she would be.

"Why are you nervous?" Jenna asked letting out a laugh as they held hands to cross the street.

"I hate doctors." He lied and she chuckled as she pulled him into the building. They walked into a small waiting area where a few people already sat and he waited on her to sign in before sitting down.

"You don't have to go back if you don't want." She whispered and he shook his head, "No, I will."

She nodded and he held her hand, rubbing his thumb over her skin as he glanced around the room. He hated the feeling of a doctor's office. It nerved him.

Once Jenna's name was called the pair stood up and John let the girl lead him after the nurse. They were put into a even smaller room and he sat in a chair with crossed arms as the nurse took the small girl's vitals. He breathed in as he watched her intently.

The older woman finally smiled as she wrote something in a chart, "The doctor will be in shortly."

Jenna nodded and the woman left quietly.

"Are you ok?" He asked softly as if he was suppose to whisper.

She chuckled, "Uh, yeah."

John rolled his eyes, "Sorry!"

She grinned and before she could speak the doctor walked in introducing himself and the two shook hands before he went into a spill about doing some test on the girl and going from there. More waiting. Just what John wanted. Of course Jenna was as nice as always and he watched her chat with the doctor until the nurse came back in to take her blood. The whole visit lasted a mere 20 minutes which John thought was absurd. He wanted them to figure out what was wrong with his girl right now. Screw waiting and screw every other patient. Jenna was what was important. Of course he didn't vocalize it.

John sighed as he followed her out of the building and to the short distance to his car.

"I can't believe that was it." John finally said once in the car.

Jenna laughed, "Well they can't just find out what's wrong in 2 seconds."

John shrugged, "I want them to."

"Well, that isn't how it works."

John sighed, "So we just wait?"

"John! Settle down! Nothing is wrong!"

He clinched the steering wheel and shut his mouth as he stared blankly at the road.

Jenna eyed the boy and let out a sigh as she picked up on his mood change, "John..."

He didn't speak and she continued, "I was kidding, but everything is fine."

"You don't know that, Jen. You don't! And I'm sorry that I worry that this is more than just some stupid cold! You have no cold like symptoms! So yes, yes Jen I'm worried. You are my life. I have a right to worry."

She blinked as the car went silent and he breathed in trying not to get all worked up.

"So you think there is seriously something wrong?" She asked and he sighed, "No, I mean, it could be anything. You could be low on vitamins or who knows. I'm not a doctor I just want you to be ok." He whispered.

"I know." She responded softly.

She knew he was just watching out for her and she needed to be more understanding even if it annoyed her a bit.

They parked in the driveway and as John turned off the car and reached for the door, Jenn grabbed his arm. John moved his eyes to hers and she raised up kissing his cheek, "I love you."

"I love you too." He whispered and she kissed him once more before letting him go to get out of the car. John sighed as he watched her from his side. He needed to just listen to her. Everything was going to be fine. It had no reason not to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...any guess on what's going on with Jenna?!

Thanks for commenting;
Hipsterism
Lex;
Daisylove
Ginnygene (Trust me. No more death. Haha)
Dhfadhfa
Lovelyhope
:)