‹ Prequel: Never Alone
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed.

The Space Between

We've both got way too much ahead

"John, where are we going?" She asked innocently and he chuckled grasping her hand softly as he led her from his truck.

"Can you not be patient?"

She whined and he kissed her temple, "Baby..."

"Well, I mean, what could we be doing at the lake?" She asked and he laughed, "Ok, you aren't going to give up are you?"

"Nope."

"Fine. I cheesily rented a boat because I figured we could do something we've never done before."

"Awe, really? I'm excited!" She said causing him to laugh, "Good."

He helped her onto the boat once at the dock and she sat down immediately.

"I have you a gift as well you know? I'm just not giving it to you for a while." He said leaning into her and she smiled, "Well you didn't have to do that since you've done all this."

He rolled his eyes, "You're my girl, Jenna. I want to."

She grinned and he pecked her lips quickly. The day went smoothly for John. The pair laughed on the boat for hours until he finally got her off of it and pulled her to a picnic he had Pat come and set up for him. Surprisingly, the boy didn't screw it up like he had prepared himself for.

"Seriously John? How did you make all this happen?"

He chuckled as they sat on the blanket. The sun now beginning to set, "Don't question it, love."

She laughed, "Ok, ok."

He leaned in capturing her lips with his, "I love you."

She grinned and he pecked her cheek once more before he opened the basket he had packed so Pat wouldn't mess that up at least. After their picnic he helped her from the blanket and he grabbed up their things. Jenna wrapped her arms around him from the side as they walked back to his truck, "Thanks John." She mumbled into his sleeve.

"Not over yet."

"John." She whined and he laughed opening the car door for her, "One more spot and it will be over."

"Fine."

He grinned and leaned over the console to kiss her cheek, "Don't act like you haven't been having fun."

"I always have fun with you."

He smiled as he started the truck, "Good to know."

The drive lasted for about 30 minutes, the night had offically begun to set in and John parked in the middle of no where causing her to look over at the boy, "Going to kill me?"

"Yep."

She chuckled as he hopped out and she quickly followed. She looked around the empty lot they were parked on which over looked the city.

"This is really pretty."

"Not as pretty as you." He said wrapping his arms around her. She chuckled and he kissed her cheek, "Come on." He drug her to the back of his truck and he hopped into the back holding his hand out to her.

"Why are we doing this?"

He grinned and helped her in, her eyes looked around causing a grin to hit her lips, "You did this?"

"Yep." He responded falling onto his back on the mass of sleeping bags he had piled into the back of his truck. She giggled and fell down beside him. Her eyes meeting the now star filled sky.

"Today's been great." She whispered and he turned on his side, proping himself up on his arm.

He brushed her hair back as he looked down at her, "I'm glad you liked it. Happy birthday sweetie."

She grinned and he kissed her cheek, "Want your present now?"

She nodded and he pecked her lips before sitting up. She watched him hop over the side of the truck and she quickly sat up waiting for him to return. He climbed back in and sat in front of her with a smile. He held out the box for her and she slowly picked it up. He grinned as she removed the paper. He was nervous. He was worried she wouldn't like it or wouldn't like what it meant to him, he didn't know! He always thought of the worst things possible.

She opened the box and her eyes came in contact with a necklace. A grin hit her lips as she eyed the charms on the chain and he cleared his throat, "I um, picked them out."

"Why these three?" She asked her eyes meeting his.

He grinned and brought his fingers gently to the necklace in her hand, "Well, a J for you, the music note for me and a heart, well I mean that's obvious." He said with a grin before helping her put it on. She placed her hand on the necklace as his eyes met hers.

"I love it."

A smile hit his lips, "Yeah?"

She nodded and he kissed her gently, "I love you."

"I love you too." She responded honestly. She loved John. How thoughtful he was, how much he loved her. Everything about him made her realize why she wanted to be with him. Spending forever with him didn't seem like a bad idea afterall.

He grinned and wrapped his arms around her bringing her down to the blankets. She snuggled up to the boy relaxing against his chest as he held her close.

"Hey John?"

"Mhm?"

"Today was amazing. Thank you."

"No need to thank me. I'm your boyfriend. I want to do things for you."

"Either way, I love you and you make me really happy."

A grin hit his lips as he played with her hair, "I love you too and you also make me really happy."

She raised up and pressed her lips to his, "I'm going to be so sad without you."

He pulled her to him and kissed her once more, "You are? I am. Jenna, you have consumed my life for the past 8 years. Do you honestly think you're going to miss me more?"

She nodded and he grinned, "Right ok."

She stuck out her bottom lip and he kissed her, "I know you'll miss me. I'm kidding. We will be fine. Wait and see. That's why I gave you this." He spoke pressing his hand to her chest where her necklace hung. Her heart raced as his eyes stared into hers and his signature crooked grin hit his lips, "You know, so you don't forget me."

She laughed, "I could never forget you, O'Callaghan."

John shrugged with amusement, "Never know."

"I believe I do."

He chuckled removing his hand and kissing her cheek, "I would hope so."

"Can we just stay here all night?" She asked cuddling closer to him.

"We can do whatever you want, love."

"Probably not safe to do so."

"Oh please. I wouldn't let anything happen to you."

"What if we get attacked by a bear?"

John laughed, "A bear? Really?"

She nodded and he kissed her head, "Well, I'd fight to the death." He teased causing her to laugh.

He grinned and wrapped the blanket tightly around her making her feel even more safe pressed up against him.

"I'll always make sure you're safe, Jenna. Thought I told you that before."

"Well, I always feel safe with you." She mumbled into his shirt as she shut her eyes.

"I honestly love hearing that." He whispered stroking her hair gently.

"Why?"

"Because Jenna, I love you and I want you to feel safe with me because there is literally nothing I wouldn't do for you."

"I know." She responded and he kissed the top of her head. John closed his eyes as his heart raced with several feelings. More than anything he felt like he had officially won her heart over and he loved that he made her feel that way. For once since this started he felt like he was winning. Hopefully that wouldn't pass too quickly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short. A bit of a filler I must say, but things are about to pick up. That I can promise. ;)

Thanks for the commenting and subscribing! :)