‹ Prequel: Never Alone
Sequel: Stay
Status: Completed.

The Space Between

To worry 'bout what we've left behind.

"Jenna..." John cooed cupping her face as they stood in the living room of their home. It was the night before he left and he knew she was already growing upset simply as she watched him set his bags by the door for in the morning.

"What?" She whispered as her eyes met his.

"It's gonna be ok, darlin'." He responded placing his arms around her shoulders as she placed hers around his torso. She relaxed her head on his chest and he sighed holding her tightly.

"Just is sad." She mumbled and he shut his eyes taking in the smell of her hair, "I know..." If anything he honestly did know. His chest ached knowing she wouldn't be near him for weeks. It just wouldn't feel right with her not there by his side.

"I'll call you every night and text you as much as I can." He said into her hair and she bit her lip as he continued, "Let's go to bed, ok?"

"I don't want to because that means you'll leave sooner."

He swiftly picked her up, her legs wrapping around his waist as he carried her up the stairs in silence.

"We don't have to sleep. We can lay here and talk all night if you want. I just want to hold you." He finally said as he laid her down. She sighed and he turned the light off before crawling beside her.

"Don't be like this, Jenna. I already feel like shit." He said pulling her to him, wrapping her up in his arms and the blanket.

"Why?"

"I don't know, I feel guilty for leaving you. Probably because I know you don't want me to and I really don't want to either."

"No, I want you to go. I just am going to miss you. Seriously. Don't feel bad. You're going to have fun."

He kissed her cheek, "Jenna, I'm going to be thinking of you 98% of the time. Nothing you can do about that."

"Yeah...I guess. I just haven't been alone in well, forever. Going to be weird..."

John knew that was true. She had toured with them several times, but this would be the first time she was truly alone and that worried him beyond belief.

"I know. Just know I'm only a phone call away if you need me."

"You act like I'm a child." She said chuckling.

"Well, you're my baby so..." He said nuzzling his nose against her neck making her giggle. He loved making her laugh. It was so endearing that it warmed his heart every time.

"I love you." He breathed against her skin, his hand brushing over her arm.

"I love you too, John." She whispered and before she knew it they both fell asleep in each others arms.

John walked up to the alarm he set the day before. He groaned throwing his hand over the girl to hit the button to stop the beeping. Once it was off his eyes diverted to Jenna who's face was now buried in his chest.

He brought his hand to her hair not bothering to speak. His heart was already heavy and he hadn't even left their bed yet.

"The time will fly by baby girl. Just wait and see." He whispered stroking her hair, his rough voice from sleeping causing her to shiver.

She didn't respond to his remark just forced herself from the boy so he could get up and get ready. He kissed her forehead before doing just that and she watched him slip on his jeans and mess with his hair as he looked around the room. She bit her bottom lip as he let out a sigh, "Fuck. I don't even know what to do right now..."

A chuckled left her lips and he ran his hand down his face. It was too early and all he wanted to do was cuddle with Jenna in bed.

"Well debate on that while I go to the bathroom before you're in there for an hour." She teased and he rolled his eyes as she sprinted to the bathroom shutting the door behind her. He sat on the edge of the bed after grabbing a shirt from the closet. He was so lost in thought that he didn't even notice Jenna sitting beside him until she touched his arm.

"You ok?"

"Oh um, yeah babe. I'll be right back." He whispered flashing her a weak grin before entering the bathroom. He splashed water on his face and brushed his teeth deciding to just throw a beanie on over his unruly hair. Once on the bus he was certain he'd go back to sleep anyways. When he walked back in the room Jenna was sitting on the bed fiddling wth her nails. He leaned against the door frame just watching the girl in awe.

"God I love you." He breathed out and her head shot up quickly causing her bangs to fall in her eyes.

"I love you too." She said so sweetly it made his chest ache.

"Come with me. Please." He stated ready to beg because being without her seemed impossible at the moment.

She gave him a grin and he leaned his head against the frame with a sigh. His eyes never leaving hers.

"Garrett is coming to pick me up." He stated and she nodded trying not to speak simply because she already felt her throat tightening. She didn't know why it upset her. Afterall he was coming back, but still...

The room grew quiet again and he forced himself to put on his shoes. He really didn't know what was running through her head but it made him anxious. His phone vibrated in his pocket and he pulled it out to read a text from Garrett saying he would be there in less than 30 minutes which made him grow sick for some reason.

"He'll be here in a few minutes." John stated stepping closer to the bed. The girl managed to nod as he wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her to her knees so she was eye level with him.

"Hey...it's ok." He whispered trying to calm her and himself.

She shook her head no as tears rimmed her eyes and he pulled her closer, "No, don't cry. Please." He begged feeling it rip at his heart already.

"I'm just going to miss you." She fumbled out as she buried her face into his shirt.

"I know, sweetie." He mumbled rubbing her back already feeling like a crappy boyfriend although he really had no reason to.

Jeann honestly thought she was going to be able to hold it together, but now that the time was here it made her a mess. She hadn't been without John in so long that it terrified her. The last time she was alone was when Eric passed and even then she had the boy beside her.

"Now put some pants on so you can say goodbye to Garrett when he arrives." John chuckled out trying to lighten the mood. She laughed softly and he grabbed her waist as she pulled away from him.

"Everything's going to be alright, darlin'. I promise."

She nodded and he pressed his lips to hers before pulling her from the bed. She slid on shorts, but didn't bother to remove the shirt she had on which belonged to John.

He held her hand as they walked to the living room and he pulled her into his lap as he sat down. He didn't want to be even inches from her. He kissed her cheek as he held her tightly in his arms. Her fingers ran through his hair that stuck out from his beanie as her eyes stayed focused on him.

"I love you." He whispered and she leaned into him kissing his cheek.

"I love you too."

The pair sat in silence, John holding her as close as he could until someone knocked on the door. He felt her tense in his arms and he almost wanted to get up and tell Garrett to just go away because he was never going to leave her.

Jenna climbed from his lap and he watched her walk to the door. She opened it to reveal her brother and Garrett gave her a weak smile knowing what she was feeling.

"Hey sis." Garrett said messing with her hair.

She rolled her eyes and he stepped in, "Ready?" He asked looking at John who slowly nodded and forced himself from the couch.

"Be careful." Jenna said shooting a look at Garrett and he rolled his eyes, "Of course."

"Don't break anything else."

"Shut up and give me a hug."

She rolled her eyes and wrapped her arms around the boy.

"Love you."

"Love you too, Gar."

He kissed her head before telling John he's give them a moment and grabbing his bags for him before walking out.

John shoved his hands in his pockets as his eyes met hers. His chest now tighter than ever.

"You ok?" She asked and he shook his head no, "No. I don't want to leave you." He responded honestly.

"It isn't going to be for too long."

"Feels like it now." He grumbled and she stepped to him wrapping her arms around him instantly. He hugged her tightly as he kissed her skin wherever he could.

"I'll call you when we get to wherever the hell it is we are going."

"Ok, sounds good."

He kissed her several times before making himself pull away from her, "I love you."

Love you too." She whispered and he kissed her once more before forcing himself back. He glanced at her once more and gave her a grin trying to tell her it would be ok. Hell, he knew he would be back, but for some reason it still felt like the end of the world. As he stepped outside he took a deep breath and made his way to Garrett.

"You ok?" The boy asked and John shook his head no as he climbed into the car.

"It'll be fine."

"For you...I've never left her, Garrett. I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about her mostly."

"It'll probably be a good thing for her. She'll be ok."

"Still...just makes me worry."

Garrett chuckled, "I know you hate hearing this but you sure sound a hell of a lot like Eric right now."

John chuckled softly. In this instance he didn't care about the comparison.

"Yeah, I know. How he did it I'll never know."

Garrett laughed, "Ha. How he did it? He didn't! A week or two into touring he'd beg her to come out. Hell, I'd be begging her to come out for our sanity!"

"Very true."

"Please don't be like that. I'm begging you. I can't handle it."

John chuckled, "I'll try not, man."

Garrett nodded accepting the boys answer, but John knew he would be lucky if he even lasted a week...
♠ ♠ ♠
Things are about to get real serious...just a heads up. ;)

Thanks for the comments;
Daisylove
Hipsterism
:)