Status: I will update periodically.

These Things I've Done

Chapter 8.

I looked at my watch.
"We better start heading in. They're gonna wonder where you are." I said, getting up from the bench. He sighed, collecting his things, and followed me inside. He was quiet as we walked back into the building. Soon, I felt his hand touch mine. My heart jumped, and my cheeks turned red. He noticed my reaction.
"I'm.. I'm sorry." He said, his cheeks now bright red. He pulled his hands close to him, shoving them in his pockets.
"I didn't mean anything.." He said, biting his lip, keeping his eyes forward. I bit my lip, also looking forward.
"It's fine." I said. The automatic doors slid open, and he quickly walked inside, passing me, and making his way back into his room. I sighed, watching him until disappeared behind the hallway walls.

Back in the cafeteria, I noticed that some of the doctors were still sitting down, talking amongst themselves. I saw Dr. Roberts, he waved me over.
"Taylor.." He said "Over here." I quickly walked over.

"Sit. Join us." He said, pulling over a chair. He flashed me a welcoming smile. I sat down.
"So, how had your first day been? They're not too much for you, right?" He asked, giggling at his own joke. The other doctors laughed with him. I could tell, he was the head of their pack. Then again, he was the head of the building here. I suppose they all felt obligated to, in other words, suck up to him. I nodded.

"They were perfectly fine." I said, smiling down at the table. I sighed. They were fine. Except Tony, but his records stated he was known for his usual episodes during group discussions. Tony was a loner, and I planned on leaving him alone.

"Well, that's great." He said, leaning back in his chair, crossing his arms. He kept his focus on me.
"Now, what about that young man you brought out for lunch? How is he?" He asked. I bit my lip, containing my smile.
"He was just fine." I said. "We had a nice time. I was just talking to him. He didn't get a chance to talk during the group discussion today, someone.. kept bothering him. So he kept quiet. So, I just thought maybe if it was just me and him.. it'd be easier for him to talk about things."

He nodded.
"Well, that's a very good strategy" He said "But.. do you plan on doing that to all of your patients?" I bit my lip. I didn't. Kellin was just.. different. He was special.
"Well.." I said, trying to come up with the best explanation. "Kellin was the only one who didn't get to talk. The others all had their chance. They were fine in the group." He nodded.
"Well, whatever you see suitable." He said. "After all, I know you are one of the best at what you do." I smiled, feeling my cheeks get red once again.
"Thank you, Doctor." I said. He smiled.
"Call me David." He said, smiling back. I nodded.
"Okay." I said quietly. "David." He giggled, looking over at the others at the table.

"So, Taylor, all of us were going to go out for drinks tonight, would you like to join us?" I bit my lip. Drinks? With all of them? Well, what could it hurt right? I could get to know more of them here. I'd feel more comfortable if I had friends here, friends that weren't patients, right?
"That.. that sounds fun." I said. He smiled at me.
"Great. You can call me later. I'll pick you up." He slid me a piece of paper with what I was assuming was his phone number. I felt my cheeks get red.
"O-okay.. g-great."