Status: Finished

I Will Wait for You

Life and Death

James’s hand shook as he wrote another letter for Elizabeth. He was officially departing for the fields of battle tomorrow and it had been 6 months since he left her town. Somehow he expressed himself better with his sketches and she had been the first person he had ever drawn. He remembered when he had set her the first sketch after leaving. Her next week was pure excitement and filled with compliments, she had loved it.

He smiled as he remembered the last time he had seen her. The kiss had been pure magic and he knew that he had to keep his promise. This was probably his last letter to Elizabeth in a while so he decided to add something he had been thinking about for a long time: A request.

‘My dearest, Elizabeth,’ He started, being careful with his handwriting so it looked spotless and not a mess 'I hope that everything is doing alright over there. I miss you terribly, my sweetheart, and I realize that we missed the chance to ride together. I hope that we can do it soon. Sadly, I am being rushed so the letter will be short but please do not worry about me, about Andrew or about Percy Blue. We are in the same regiment and we are going to change places in a few hours and Percy Blue is behaving very valiantly, I think that you must have passed your qualities onto him. I do not know when I will be able to write to you again but I promise to do it as soon as I can.‘ He wrote as he heard the Major shouting orders for everyone to speed up their pace.

‘I love you, Elizabeth. Remember that every day. I think of you constantly and there is nothing I want more than to return to your arms and hold you. Soon, my sweetheart, soon.’

The Major burst into James’s room before he could properly finish the letter and he was not given time to add the hint of a marriage proposal. Right after leaving Elizabeth’s presence, James knew he wanted to marry her. He wanted her to be his in every way possible and he knew that he had to ask her personally, she would not have it any other way, but placing it hidden on the letter was a idea he liked.

Sadly, he never had the chance to write about the proposal and his wishes to have a family with Elizabeth in any of his letters and the last letter Elizabeth received was the one he wrote that night. All the other ones were either intercepted, destroyed, lost or the messenger killed in the field.

♣♣♣


“Calmer, calmer Sammy.” Elizabeth said softly as her brother nodded his head and slowed down his pace as he conducted Thunder to walk in circles.

Their mother sat by the porch, knitting, while Elizabeth allowed her brother to train and bond with Thunder on his own. After three years, the horse had fully recovered from his exhaustion and lump on the leg and Elizabeth found that to be the only good thing that had happened during that time.

James had left 3 years ago with her brother, Alfred followed a year later and Elizabeth had never felt so alone. During the first 6 months, James was able to write plenty of letters and even send Elizabeth sketches, which she kept dearly and close to her heart. Most of them were sketches of her and wherever she had a bad day, she would read the letters, look at the sketches and feel James’s presence on them. She missed him terribly and she hadn’t had any news in over 2 years. She heard that war had turned ugly to their side and every time a body of a soldier arrived to be buried, she feared that it was James, her brother or Alfred.

Despite none of them having returned or given news, the Davies family was going through a rough time with Mr. Davies, who had been gravely sick and put to bed. Without another male, Elizabeth had stepped up and taken all the work her father used to perform on his own. She felt tired but it was her family and she would do anything to keep them safe and happy.

She watched her brother proudly, he had grown so much in the past 3 years. With Andrew gone and their father sick, he had assumed a more grown-up attitude and always spoke of how much he needed to protect the women of his life. Sam always kept that promise and did his best to help in everything. He was the one that comforted Elizabeth often, telling her to trust James’s word about coming back.

A small smile appeared on Elizabeth’s face but then she heard her mother call her and she glanced back towards woman.

“Lo-look!” She said standing up quickly while pointing at the end of the road.

Elizabeth turned around and gasped audibly as she picked her dress up and immediately started to run.

James laughed along with Albert as he came riding Percy Blue while Albert was on Joey. They went on a slow pace, Albert had his arm on his chest since he was injured and James had left war with a few scars and a very heavy heart. All the death and blood were steeped into his mind and he was above all very tired and burdened with sad news for Elizabeth’s family. His return felt bittersweet to him. He could not wait to see Elizabeth, to hold her, to kiss her but the news he brought concerned Andrew and he still hadn’t decided how to bring it up.

James accompanied Alfred to his house first and then galloped to Elizabeth’s house. He recognized the road immediately and when he saw her, he urged Percy Blue to stop. 3 years had gone by and Elizabeth seemed to be untouched by time. The major difference was in her hair, it reached her lower back now and it was absolutely stunning. James smiled and his heart fluttered when suddenly he noticed that Mrs. Davies had seen him and the minute Elizabeth glanced, he could feel his heart slowing down as she lifted her dress a bit and began to run towards him.

Elizabeth’s eyes filled with tears as she ran to meet James at the beginning to the road to her house. He had descended from his horse and when their bodies collided in a tight embrace, her wrapped his arms around her and span her around.

“You’re alive. James, you’re back. You’re safe, you’re in one piece, you are alright.” She said in between sobs and she hold onto him desperately, whispering his name, refusing to ease her grip as he softly soothed her back.

“I promised to come back to you.” He said, smiling widely “I missed you so much.”

Elizabeth pulled away gently to look up at him and she caressed his pale voice. The sweetness was
still present in his eyes but she knew that he was different, hardened by war. He had a scar on his jaw and she could barely imagine the rest of his body.

“Did you come back alone? My brother? Albert?” She asked as James slowly released her knowing that Percy Blue had missed her as well.

“Albert is home safe and sound, just with a broken arm.” James said as he watched her slowly approach Percy, who had also been changed by the terrors of war. He was more fearful now and he had lost sight in one of his eyes. Despite this, upon recognizing her scent, her voice and her touch, the horse did not flinch like James had seen so many times.

“Glad to hear that and I’m also happy to see that my boy is alright. Different but alright.” She said softly as she petted Percy Blue “And Andrew? Will he be arriving soon?”

James frowned and his silence, made Elizabeth turn to him, her smile falling completely.

“James… James, please tell me that he is alright.” She said as James placed his hands on her face, seeing the fear and took a deep breath as his blue eyes locked with hers.

“I am so sorry Elizabeth. Andrew… Andrew was taken from my regiment by the Major and sent to another which was ambushed. I do not know many details,” He lied, he knew all the details but he would do his best to spare Elizabeth from the reality, the horror, the gore, the violence and the blood from war. He knew that she would not understand it and she would condemn it, like he did himself. After what he had seen, he had realized that Wars are not noble like men were led to think, Wars were blood-shed for the sake of a Nation, it meant the death of many innocent lives and it was not fair. He was fortunate to be alive, Andrew did not have the same luck.

Tears slide slowly down Elizabeth’s face as she covered her face with her hands and sobbed deeply. James embraced her and they kept silent as she trembled, muttering words James did not understand while trying to figure how she would tell her mother the truth.

♣♣♣


Two days later when James went to visit Elizabeth, the whole family was wearing dark clothes. Their mother was completely heartbroken and the father didn’t know yet because they were afraid to worsen his state. Unfortunately, Andrew’s body had been wrecked to pieces so Elizabeth and Sam did a small funeral where they buried some of Andrew’s favorite objects. Both of them cried and Elizabeth felt her heart heavy. Andrew had departed with her in good terms but she felt that they could have been closer, hadn’t them been so stubborn.

Elizabeth stood by the tree when James approached her slowly so he wouldn’t scare her. She turned to him, drying her tears and allowed him to embrace her and kiss her gently.

“My love,” She whispered as she caressed his face gently watching him flutter his eyes closed as he placed his hands on her hips and stared at her lovingly.

“My dear Elizabeth,” He said sighing dreamily as he watched her smile, though her eyes were red and she looked tired “How is everything over here?”

“We are still processing.” She replied sadly “Have you visited your family yet?”

“I sent them a letter yesterday, explaining that I was going to go home soon but that I could not go without one thing.” James said, biting his lower lip slightly as he watched her furrow her eyebrows.

“What is it?” Elizabeth asked curiously.

“You.” James replied without a trace of doubt, the decision question was about to be popped. When he strolled through the town that morning, he had found a perfect ring but he did not have enough money to buy it. The owner of the store recognized him and was so thrilled by James and Elizabeth’s love story that he offered James the ring as a token of good luck and appreciation for his service in the Army.

“James…” Elizabeth whispered as she felt his nerves and widened her eyes.

“Elizabeth, please, let me speak love.” James said softly as he swallowed the lump in his throat and decided to take the plunge “I know that you are going through a tough moment but I… I have been madly in love with you ever since I met you. I have been in love with you for 3 years and I know that we barely spent any time to together but I want to change that. I am not going away ever again, I promise, we will never be separated again Elizabeth.” He reassured her as she stared in awe at him “I want nothing more than to spend my days with you, to sketch you, to laugh with you, to be challenged by you, to care for you, to love you like you deserve so Elizabeth Davies,” James said as he slowly got onto his knees, flinching a bit at the pain while he took the ring from his pocket “Will you marry me?”

Elizabeth gasped as she looked into his eyes and felt him grab her hand, begging silently for a reply. She slowly came back to herself and nodded her head.

“Yes, James. Yes, I would love to marry you!” She replied happily as she began to cry again. He smiled widely and found himself crying as he slipped the ring into her finger and then stood up to embrace her and kiss her lips passionately.

The Davies family observed from the kitchen as their Elizabeth’s untamable heart was conquered by a gentle one and they all smiled, knowing that they would be happy.

James’s eyes were closed as he kissed the woman he loved. He was thrilled that she had said yes, he could not wait to marry her and for them to have a house of their own. As he pulled away and she caressed his face with her tender touch, he felt so old compared to her but he knew that those were his battle bruises and scars talking. His soul and heart were young and they matched Elizabeth’s, he loved her and he had earned and gained her love. Nothing else needed to make sense to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
This is the end of this short-story which I absolutely loved to write! I would like to thank you all so so so much for your patience, above all! But also thank you for your undying support, for reading, for subscribing and for the recs!
They mean a lot and they always kept me pumping to write, so thank you!

Happy New Year! ♥