Status: COMPLETED!

Do I Turn Out Alright?

What Hurts The Most Was Being So Close

[Sapphire]

Over the next two weeks, I saw nothing of Alex. He ignored all of my calls and texts, even when I used Matt's phone. He even stopped coming over when all of the other guys came over, always having some soft of excuse as to why he couldn't make it. None of the other guys noticed anything, they bought every word that he said but I knew he was just avoiding me and it was killing me.

I rarely even saw Matt. He spent most of his time in his office, making calls and organizing the next tour. I only saw him when I made him meals and then later at night when I was already in bed. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't lonely. I spent all of my time sitting around Matt and I's house, reading a book or cleaning. I needed to get out of the house.

Alex had promised that he would take me to the water park when we got home and I was going to hold him to that. So after I finished cleaning up from breakfast, and Matt went into his office, I went to our bedroom and slid on my red striped bikini. I covered it up with a striped tank top and white shorts. I tied my hair up in a pony tail and grabbed my tote bag, filling it with my sunscreen and other needed things. I grabbed my phone and dialed Alex's number. It rang and the voicemail I had gotten to used to hearing came through the speaker, making me sigh.

"Yo! This is Alex. Leave me a message and I might call you back, if you're important enough!" Next came the beep and then it was my turn to speak.

"Alex, you promised me a day at the water park. That day is today, I don't care what you say. I'm leaving in five minutes. Be ready." With that I hung up and tossed my phone in my bag. I then slid on my flip flops and put my sunglasses on my head before grabbing my bag and leaving the room, heading towards the office.

"Hey, you goin out?" Matt questioned when I stepped through the door.

"Water park with Alex." I responded, shrugging.

"Oh. Well have fun." I smiled and went over to him, giving him a soft kiss on the lips.

"I'll see you later. Don't work too hard." I gave him one last smile before leaving the room. I grabbed my car keys and left the house. I got into my gorgeous Mustang and began the short drive to Alex's house. I was just turning on his street when my phone rang. I reached over and pulled it out of my bag, seeing that Alex was calling. "Well hello, stranger." I spoke, earning a soft chuckle from him.

"Do we seriously have to go today?" He questioned right as I pulled into his driveway.

"Well... seeing as I'm in your driveway already, yes." I spoke, turning off my car. I then saw the curtain in Alex's living room move to the side as he stared out at me. I gave him a small wave.

"Fine." He groaned before he disappeared from the window. "Come in, the doors unlocked. I have to get changed." With that he hung up, making me grin. That was easier than I thought it would be. I hopped out of the car and went into his house.

"You promised me, Alex. Remember that." I called to him as I made my way through his house and down the hall towards his bedroom, which was wide open.

"If you don't want to see me naked, I wouldn't come in." He said, making me roll my eyes and walk in anyway.

"It's not like I haven't seen it before." Sure enough, he stood at his dresser completely naked as he looked for what I guessed was his swimming trunks. I went and sat on the edge of his bed, leaning back on my hands as I watched him. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't totally checking him out.

"So how are things with you and your fiance?" He questioned as he pulled out his trunks. He slid them on before grabbing a plain white t-shirt and slid it on.

"Let's not talk about Matt today, alright? It's just you and I. I want today to be fun." I told him. He sighed and nodded, grabbing his flip flops and sliding them on.

"I'm just still a little bitter about it all..." He muttered.

"I know, Alex and I'm sorry but you are still one of my best friends and I don't want that to ever change." I told him. He looked over at me and smiled softly.

"It won't change, I promise." He came over to me and pulled me up and straight into his arms. "Now, let's go! The water park awaits!" He pulled back and took my hand, pulling me from his room and then out of the house. We got into my car and I started the half hour drive to the closest water park. When we got there, we were pleased to find that since it was only May and most kids were still in school, and it was a Tuesday, it wasn't crowded at all. We got in quickly and rushed towards the huge slide. After going down just about every slide, we dived into the pool and swam around for awhile before I decided I wanted to tan.

"Alex," I whined from my chair while he continued to swim a few feet away from me.

"Yes, babe?" He called, floating on his back.

"I need your help." He stood up and looked over at me, laughing when he saw that I was holding my bottle of sunscreen in my hand.

"Need me to put it on your back?" He asked as he climbed out of the pool, dripping wet.

"Yes, please." I told him, handing him the bottle before I turned over onto my stomach. He dried his hands off before kneeling down beside me. He uncapped the bottle and squirted some onto my lower back. He then rubbed it in, his long fingers massaging my muscles expertly.

"I'm gonna untie this so you don't have a tan line from it." He then undid the tie on my bikini, leaving my back free as he continued to rub in the sunscreen. "I miss you, Sapphire." He whispered. I turned my head and looked at him.

"You are the one who has been ignoring me, Alex." I told him, making him sigh.

"I know... I'm just... I'm really upset about your engagement, Sapphire. I mean, I love Matt but... I want you to be with me. I want you to love me like I love you." I stared at him for a few seconds before I sighed and shook my head.

"Alex... we said we wouldn't do this today."

"I know, but Sapphire, come on!" He groaned. "You said yourself that Matt is not your soul mate. So who is? I think I could be if you just give me a chance." He pleaded. I sighed and sat up, grabbing at my bikini to make sure it didn't fall. I reached behind me and retied it before I took his face in my hands.

"Do you think Matt deserves this? His best friend trying to take his fiancee?" I asked him. "Matt needs me and I love him. I .... I love you too, Alex but... it's too late." I confessed. Alex shook his head.

"No! It's not too late!" He exclaimed. "We can talk to Matt. He'll understand. He'd just want us to be happy, he'd move on."

"I don't think he would. Of course, Matt would say he would, and he would try but I know deep down he'd always be angry at us. Think about that would do to your friendship with him, it would never be the same." I reasoned with him.

"Please, Sapphire. Just let me try and prove to you that I am the one who you are meant to be with." Alex seemed to be close to tears and it was breaking my heart. What do I do? Either way someone gets their heart broken. I didn't want to hurt Matt, but I didn't want to hurt Alex either.

"I don't know what to do, Alex." I now had tears of my own welling up in my eyes. "No matter what I do someone gets hurt." Alex sighed and stood up, taking a seat on the chair beside me and pulled me into his arms.

"I want to be a good friend to Matt and say that he can have you, I've tried that. I've been in love with you so long but I just can't do it. I can't sit back and watch you be with someone else anymore. I need you, Sapphire. You are the only thing keeping me alive. If I don't have you... then I have no reason to be anything anymore. You are everything to me." I buried my face in his bare chest and sobbed. His words were not helping me at all.

"We should go. We're causing a scene." That wasn't true. There wasn't really anyone around to see us like this but it seemed like a good excuse. I stood up and gathered up my things, putting my clothes back on and stood waiting for Alex to finish. We left the water park in silence, not speaking until I was driving on the high way back to his house.

"Stay with me tonight. Just give me tonight at least." He begged me. I sighed and nodded, not saying anything in response. The rest of the car ride was silent. "Are you hungry?" He asked as we stepped into his house.

"I am, as a matter of fact. And do you know what I want?" I questioned as we walked towards his kitchen.

"I'm hoping you say a grilled cheese, because that's what I want." I laughed.

"We must be on the same brain waves because that's exactly what I was thinking." I told him as I took a seat on one of the bar stools while he went about making our lunch.

"Just proves my point of us being soul mates." He muttered as he buttered bread. I sighed and gave no response. Could Alex be my soul mate? I wasn't sure that I even believed in such things still but Alex seemed pretty convinced.

"So what do you have planned for our night?" I questioned as he continued to cook.

"Well first... I need to go make a call. Eat up, I'll be right back." He set a plate with a grilled cheese on it in front of me before he left the room. I sighed and shrugged before digging into the greasy sandwich, which was delicious. I was just finishing up as Alex walked back in.

"Where did you run off to?" I asked as I stood up and rinsed off my plate before putting it in the dishwasher.

"I called Matt." My eyes widened and I turned around to stare at Alex who was grinning.

"You did what?! What did you say? You didn't tell him anything, did you?" I questioned worriedly. If Alex told Matt that I had cheated on him, and agreed to spend the night with him, I would murder him.

"No, I didn't tell him. I just told him that I wanted to take you up to my parents cabin in New York. I said that Jack and Zack were coming as well, I even asked if he wanted to join." I frowned at him as he explained this.

"We're going to your parents cabin?" I questioned making him laugh. "I thought you wanted me to yourself? Why would you invite Matt?"

"We are not going to the cabin, we are staying here. I used that as a cover up though. I knew Matt would say no because he hates the cabin for some reason. I even called Jack and Zack and had them cover for me. I hope you don't mind but... Jack knows about us." Alex explained making me sigh and cross my arms over my chest.

"I figured you'd tell him. As long as he doesn't tell, it's fine. So Matt thinks we are staying at your parents cabin tonight all the way in New York?" Alex grinned and nodded. He walked over to me, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me against him.

"Not just tonight." He said. "We're staying there until Friday."

"Friday? I agreed to one night Alex, not four days." I told him, making him sigh.

"Please, Sapphire. You won't regret it. Just give me four days to show you that we are soul mates and that we belong together. If you still don't believe it after four days then... I'll stop, I promise. Just four days of you as my girlfriend, just to try it out." I stared up into his brown eyes, thinking. Could I really do this? This answer was yes, I could. Was it right? Of course not. Was I going to do it anyway? Yes. Alex just had that effect on me. I was a horrible person.

"Fine." I agreed. Alex burst into a large grin, the biggest I have ever seen on him before he pressed his lips to mine. I can't believe what I just agreed to. Matt didn't deserve this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sapphire