‹ Prequel: Forever Hold My Heart

This Ends Now.

Setting Standards

It’s been two weeks since the fight I’ve had with Amelia. I guess you could say I literally broke down her walls. She was really starting to open up to me and we were getting along really well. I was in charge of training her as well as deciding when she would be ready to be put on a team.
“Alright kid, good job.” I said as she climbed down from the rope. “Did you want to go get something to eat, watching you do all this stuff is making me hungry.”
“That doesn’t make sense,” She laughed and I put my arm around her shoulder.
“Doesn’t matter because we’re going to go eat,” I said

When we reached the cafeteria we served ourselves food and sat down.
“So how long have you and Travis been together?” She asked and I thought about it.
“5 months,” I said with a smile.
“You look happy with him,” She said and I let out a small laugh.
“It’s because he makes me happy,” I said
“That’s good,” She said and I took a bite of my apple, “do you love him?”
I took in a sharp breath causing pieces of the apple to go down the wrong side. I burst out into a coughing fit.
“Too personal?” She asked and I shook my head while I coughed. After I composed myself I took a drink from my water and cleared my throat.
“Sorry you just caught me a bit off guard.” I said fanning my face.
“Oh I just thought,” She trailed off.
“Thought what?” I asked
“That you guys loved each other?” She said
“Well I mean we’ve never said it to each other,” I said slapping my hand against my forehead. I was willing to go all the way with Travis, but we’d never even said the magic three words.
“So you don’t even know,” She said
“I do love him, I was just thinking about something,” I said feeling uncomfortable with the subject.
“Oh just taking it slow then?” She asked
“Yeah we are,” I said
“That’s good, maybe soon I’ll be an aunt,” She smirked and I just shook my head.
“Not soon but maybe,” I said looking down at my food. “So how have you’ve been lately.”
I tried to change the subject, I don’t know where all this curiosity about Travis & I was coming from.
“I’ve been okay. So how’s Gavin,” She asked
“He’s good,” I said becoming more reserved, “Why?”
“Just trying to make conversation,” She shrugged her shoulders. She slouched forward a bit, “Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable. I really am trying, I want to do things right.”
She wiped a tear away and looked around. We were the only ones in the cafeteria.
“I can see the way everyone looks at me,” She said and she started to break down, “I just can’t be strong like you. Everyone wants me to be great like you but they won’t even give me the chance.”
She sobbed and I got up and sat next to her. I rubbed her back to try and comfort.
“It’s okay just give it time,” I said and she continued to cry.
“I’m sorry for everything that happened,” She cried
“It’s okay, it wasn’t entirely your fault, you were misguided. We’re going to put that behind us now, because you’re on the right track now.” I said and grabbed a napkin and wiped at her eyes. “It’s going to be a bumpy road but I’m here for you kid.”
She hugged me as she continued to cry, I slowly wrapped my arms around her.

After Amelia’s breakdown I sent her off to get some rest and to just take it easy, meanwhile I had some business to handle. Well not necessarily business but something in the back of my mind was bothering me since my little chat with Amelia.
I walked over to Travis’ office. I peeked my head in and saw him sorting through some papers. I walked in and locked the door behind me. I sat down and just watched him
“What are you up to,” He asked as he put the papers down on his desk.
“Nothing just wanted to see what you were doing, don’t stop.” I said with a smile as I rested my elbow on his desk and my chin in the palm of my hand.
“If you insist,” He smiled back and continued to sort through his papers. I watched him as he organized his papers into different folders. He would occasionally glance up at me with a smile. Just being in his presence made me happy. I always had butterflies lightly fluttering in my stomach. It wasn’t because I was nervous but it was just a slight high effect I got with Travis. He was always so calm, collected, and patient. I had never felt this way with anyone before, everything with him was so effortless and natural. I had it bad for Travis and in an odd sense I felt safe with that idea.
“So are you going to tell me why you’re really here?” Travis asked not looking at me.
“I just had to see something,” I said as I leaned back in my chair.
“Which was?” He said putting his papers down and leaning back in his chair as well.
“It doesn’t matter, but the good thing is I figured it out,” I said getting up to go sit on his lap.
“You’re being awfully sneaky,” He said wrapping his arms around my waist.
“I would say its nothing but its everything,” I said running my fingers through his hair. He pulled me closer and gave me a kiss. I shifted so that I was straddling him. I pulled away and brushed my lips down his jaw line and rested my head on his shoulder with my lips just barely touching his neck. He ran a hand up and down my back.
“I really hate to be the one that has to stop this, but Mathew just called for a meeting in his office.” He said and I didn’t move. I almost couldn’t wait to tell him my feelings but another part of me just didn’t feel like it was the right moment. “Katelyn.”
“I know, I know,” I said getting up and pulling him with me.
When we reached Mathew’ office Devin was already sitting down in one of the two chairs. I made Travis sit so I could sit on his lap.
“Alright well I got a letter from the board.” Mathew said showing us the envelope. “They’re concerned with the amount of Custos that are actually teaching at this camp. They appreciate our work but with either Devin or Katelyn always out they just feel like we should have more leaders, aside from the other teachers.”
“That’s actually not a bad idea at all,” I said.
As much as I loved being a camp leader the work load could be overwhelming. There were certain classes that only a custos could teach. It must of been hard for the guys considering they were short one man when I left for more than a month. Even though I was back it still felt like they were short because I was doing 1 on 1 with Amelia.
“They want us to recruit at least two new members,” Mathew said
“Does it have to be anyone specific?” Devin asked
“Nope as long as their a guardian that’s not bonded.” Mathew said
“Did you have anyone in mind?” Travis asked
“Kind of but most of them pretty much work for night watch, so they’re out of the picture,” Mathew said
“What about the team Katelyn created.” Travis suggested
“No, they’re good but when they’re together. Plus as much pride I have invested in them, they are still young.” I said
“What about Adam and Landon,” Devin said
“Yeah, I know that Adam is having trouble because all of the royals thoughts can take a toll on him.” I said
“Plus Landons smell can help if Amelia begins anything suspicious,” Travis said
“What would that matter, she’s changing. I mean she’s only 14 afterall.” I said
“I know you’ve developed a soft spot for her Katelyn, but even though we trust your instincts we just never know what she’s capable of,” Mathew said and I knew he had a point.
“I know its just today we were talking and she broke down. She’s having a real hard time but she really is trying. She feels like she has to live up to everything I’ve done but that nobody is giving her the chance.” I said
“We are though, just letting her be here at camp is already a big chance,” Travis said grabbing my hand.
“I know but she just needs support.” I said and Mathew just nodded in acknowledgement.
“Do you feel like she’s ready to be put on a team?” Mathew asked opening a folder I had given him yesterday. “It seems like she’s showing good signs.”
“Yeah from what it seems like she had been in some type of training, but only thing she really needs to work on is her stamina.” I said.
“Alright then I’ll fix her a new schedule so she can start that tomorrow.” Mathew said and he wrote it down on a sticky note. “One more thing is we need a volunteer to start taking the teams to the test driving tracks.
I was about to open my mouth.
“Other than you Katelyn,” Mathew said and I nodded. “You’re going to go talk to Adam and Landon, to try and convince them to become camp leaders.”
“I should have seen that one coming,” I said.
“I’ll take the driving courses,” Devin said
“Alright, that pretty much covers that,” Mathew said as he looked through more of his notes.
“Adam and Landon are in the same house as usual right?” I asked
“Yeah they are,” Mathew said and I gave him a nod, “So before we adjourn this little meeting anything thoughts? Concerns? Comments?”
I shook my head along with Travis and Devin.
“Okay, well then let’s get to it,” Mathew said as we left his office.
“I’ll see you guys later,” Devin said as he left me and Travis in the hallway.
“I’m going to go talk to the guys,” I said. Travis laced his fingers with mine.
“Good luck,” Travis said and he gave me a kiss on the forehead.
“I don’t need luck, I’ll probably have them packing their bags tonight,” I joked and Travis chuckled.
“That’s the spirit,” Travis said
“Hopefully I’ll be back in time for lounge time. If not then I’ll catch you back at the house,” I said. I broke apart our hands and gave him a hug, he hugged me back just as tightly. We swayed for a minute or two before we pulled apart. “See you.”
“Bye beautiful,” Travis said as he watched me walk away. When I reached the doors, I turned around and blew him a kiss. He pretended to catch it and placed it on his cheek. I giggled and then left. I had no idea what I planned on telling Landon and Adam but I knew for sure, that I wasn’t leaving without a yes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you lovelies go. Told you I would post another one tonight. :D

Thanks for reading, subscribing, recommendations, and comments. Enjoy!