‹ Prequel: A Face to Call Home
Sequel: If I Could Fly
Status: Complete; Want more Kaylin and Harry? New sequel coming soon!

Red.

Eight

“I just don’t think it’s a great idea, Kaylin. He broke your heart five years ago, what makes you think he won’t do it again?”

Dad was pissed. I could see on his face through the computer screen. He didn’t like the fact that in just a few hours, Harry and I would officially be living together. But why should he be so angry in the first place? I’m twenty-four and I’m on a completely different continent than he is. I’m an adult now and I want to live with the man I love. But he didn’t and will never understand that. Mom was happy though. She loves Harry even after all we’ve been through she still loves him.

“Well, I’m sorry dad but I want to be with him and I’m moving in with him. I just called to let you know so I could give you the address and everything.” I told him quietly, playing with the hem of my sweater.

“I’m happy for you, hun,” my mom piped in, happily.

“Thanks mom and I promise, I’ll bring him home this Christmas.” It’s true; I will be bringing Harry with me back to the states to visit my family. This will be the first time they will all be meeting in person.

“Finally, I get to meet the boy in person. We’ll have your room all ready for the two of you when you arrive.”

Three weeks. That’s how long until Harry and I leave London to visit the place I used to call home.

“You mean, we’ll have the guest room and her room ready. They’re not sharing a room,” my dad protested, looking at his wife with an angry look. I groaned, running my fingers through my wavy locks.

“Dad, get over it. I’m not that little girl anymore. I’m grown up and Harry and I can share a room if we would like too. We will stay at a hotel nearby if it’s that big of an issue.”

“No!” My mom practically shrieked out. “That is completely unnecessary. Your father is just being pigheaded. You and Harry will stay home with us. Besides, Brian will be home from college and he will love to see the two of you as well!” I let out a small sigh and nodded with a small smile.

“Of course, mom. Well, I better get going so I can finish packing my stuff.”

“Oh alright, sweet girl. Give us a call when you have a chance. We love you,” my mom said while my dad pouted slightly.

“I love you too.” I ended the chat, closing my laptop.

I didn’t actually need to finish packing because I finished hours ago before my parents called to chat. I just couldn’t listen to my dad’s complaints about Harry anymore. I understood where he is coming from but Harry wasn’t the only one at fault. I hurt him too. But my dad didn’t care; all he cared about was the fact that I had ended up so torn apart after the breakup.

I heard a knock on my door, making me look at it confused. The mover’s aren’t supposed to be here for another three hours and Harry’s off doing some last minute errands. When I opened the door, Harry’s face lit up. “What are you doing here?” I asked, immediately wishing I could take back the question.

“Oh okay, I see how it is. Obviously I’m not wanted here,” he said with a hint of sarcasm as he was turning around.

“Uh-uh!” I reached out and grabbed his shirt before he could walk away, pulling him back into the small flat. He let out a chuckle, closing the door behind him and then wrapped his arms around, placing a kiss on my lips. The corners of my lips lifted up in the short kiss. “So really, what are you doing here so early?” I asked, lifting my hand up to touch his cheek. A mischievous look flashed across his face and a smirk appeared on his lips before he pecked my lips.

“I thought we could just maybe put one or two more memories in this place…” His lips brushed my mine quickly before trailing down to my jawline, where the tip of his tongue slid slowly along it. “What do you say?” He whispered into my ear before nipping softly at my earlobe making me giggle.

“Let’s go make some memories.”
[enter]
[enter]
[enter]
[enter]

“Harry! Get some clothes on right now!” I yelled at him as I pulled on the last of my clothing. I pulled my tangled hair into a messy hair, making my way to the front door to let the movers in.

“Oh relax, babe.” I rolled my eyes as I opened the door. The boys, who were helping out, smiled and introduced themselves before coming in to start carrying stuff downstairs.

Harry and I left a little bit after they began packing the moving van and went to his house in North London; the one we would be living in together. “You know it’s nice knowing I won’t be all alone here anymore,” Harry told me as we walked in the front door. I let out a small laugh and nodded.

“I think it’s nice we’ll have something to call our home.” He grinned down at me before crashing his lips onto mine. A small moan muffled through our kiss when he let his tongue explore my mouth. I’m pretty sure it was me who moaned. His fingers dug themselves into my hips when I tugged onto his curls, making him release a low growl. He backed me up against the wall of the massive foyer, grinding his hips into mine as our lips moved feverishly against each other. I felt vibrations on my thigh and tried to pull away but he kept capturing my lips with his. “Harry,” I mumbled out against his lips making him hum in response. The vibrations stopped. “You need to get that, it could be important.” Clearly it was since the vibrating started up again. He let out a small groan before pulling back; leaving me leant up against the wall, panting and gasping for air as he walked further in the house to answer the call.

“What do you want?” I heard him mutter from the other room. I pushed myself off the wall and urged my feet to move me to the room where he was. “Seriously? No, Liam.” He was quiet for a moment. I walked into the main room seeing his back tense more and more as he listened to Liam talk. My feet padded along the carpeted floor to him and I wrapped my arms around his waist from behind, pressing my cheek to his back. I felt his muscles loosen a little. “No, Kay just got here and I’m not leaving. We finished six months ago. You… We need to give it a break for a little longer.” He paused. “Lou and El just got married, Liam. They need their happiness to last a little longer than three months, mate.” His voice was softer now. “Tell them I don’t want in and I know for a fact, Louis won’t either. I have to go Liam, I’ll talk to you later.” With that, he hung up.

“What was that about?” I asked softly. He turned himself around to face me and took my face into his hands.

“It was nothing,” Harry told me before leaning to press a kiss to my lips but I pulled back slightly, making him stop. “What?”

“What were you talking about Harry?” He shook his head before dropping his hands to my arms. His rough fingers ran along my arms slowly.

“It was just stupid shit, Kay. Nothing you need to worry about.”

“Anything dealing with you, I worry about.” I paused dropping my eyes to stared at his chest, thinking about his one sided conversation with Liam. Then it hit me. “You hate Liam.” My eyes lifted up to his, but he looked away before I could find any proof of my statement in them.

“No, I don’t,” he grumbled out before trying to pull away but I kept my hands tight on his waist. His lips were pursed and his eyebrows were furrowed slightly.

“You’re lying, I know you are.” I could always call him out on his lying, but he still insisted on trying. “What happened, Harry?” I asked softly, making his eyes flicker over to mine before looking up at the ceiling.

“He’s a twat, that’s all.” He looked back into my eyes and let out a small sigh. “The real reason we ended the band is because he went mad with fame. He was always out partying till morning, came back pissed every night, and he was a right tosser. He got into some real bad stuff too. The boys and I got sick of it so we said he needed to get cleaned up. That’s what the call was about. He had been five months sober and clean so he wanted to get the band back together, but we can’t. Not now.”

“Oh.” Liam went insane and I had no idea. I felt… Guilty. The boy had become my best friend six years ago and was always there for me when I was down. When he was at his lowest, I wasn’t there for him and it broke my heart. Harry knew what I was thinking.

“Kaylin, he’s fine now. I don’t…” He let out a sigh. “I’m mad at him, but I definitely don’t hate him. He’s my best mate.”

“If he’s fine now, why wouldn’t you want to get the band back together?” His eyes searched mine for a minute before he pulled into his chest, holding me close.

“Because I just got you back and I’m not losing you again.”

“But you shouldn’t let me stop you from doing what you love,” I protested softly.

“Kaylin, you’re not stopping me. I want to be with you and I don’t want anything getting in the way of us.”

“But–" Harry pulled away abruptly, holding my arms and keeping me at arms length with an irritated look on his face. I pulled back from his grip looking away from his gaze. I knew he running his hands down his face when I heard him take a deep breath before continuing.

“What will it take to get you to understand that I’m not happy without you? I need you and not my career. That I just want to spend my life with you and only you. No more traveling, no more fans stalking you or me. No more lies being put out there to try and tear us apart. I just want us. You and me.” A heavy sigh fell from his lips and he ran a hand through his unruly curls. He stepped closer to me, taking my hand in his. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to freak,” he whispered, lifting my hand to his mouth and pressing a soft kiss to each of my knuckles. “I love you.” He tugged on my hand to pull me to him and I let him. His arms enveloped me close to him and he kissed the top of my head. “So much.”

My arms found their way around his long torso and my fingers clasped themselves onto his shirt. “I love you too,” I mumbled out. I felt him playing with the end of my ponytail as he held me. “I talked to my parents today.”

“Yeah? How’d that go?”

“The usual. You know, like the ‘miss yous’ and stuff. Dad’s still not thrilled about me living with you and you coming along for Christmas this year…” I felt his chest rise and fall as he let out heavy sigh. “But mom can’t wait to see you…”

“I hate that your dad doesn’t like me, Kaylin… What if we get married one day?” He paused before continuing quietly, “how am I supposed to ask for his blessings?” I pulled back and looked up at him.

“You didn’t know?” I asked quietly.

“Know what?” Confusion was written all over his face.

“I’m only with you for your money and fame!” I whispered, jokingly and keeping a straight face. But my joke was betrayed with the giggle that escaped after I watched his face twist in horror. “Kidding!” I exclaimed, kissing his cheek. All this talk about marriage and us living our futures together frightened me to be honest. Despite the fact that we dated for over a year five years ago, we’d only been together for three months and it seemed so sudden. And I'm not sure if I'm ready just quite yet. He let out a loud laugh before placing a loud kiss on my lips and pulling away to walk into the kitchen.

“Do you want anything to drink?” He asked me, looking at me from over the counter. I shook my head.

“I’m gonna go see Leelee, Harry. He sounds like he needs a friend right now,” I told him while maneuvering around the furniture in the den.

“What? No, Kay. I don’t want you seeing him,” Harry yelled from the kitchen and ran out to the front of the house to me.

“Why not?”

“Because I just don’t want you too.” I rolled my eyes, pulling my coat on.

“That’s stupid Harry. I’m going to see him. He’s one of my best friends and I want to talk to him, okay? I’ll call you when I get there and when I leave if that makes you feel any better?” I watched his shoulders slump in defeat causing all those hours he spent on creating a new habit of good posture, fly out the window.

“Fine,” he grumbled out. I grabbed the keys to Harry’s newest Audi and watched his eyes widened with fear. “No!” He snatched the keys out of my hands, “I don’t think so missy.” He pulled a key with the BMW symbol on it and held it out to me. “Take the beemer, babe. I don’t trust you to drive anything else.” I rolled my eyes.

“Boys,” I scoffed out before taking the key and leaving.
[enter]
[enter]
[enter]
[enter]

The door flew open after I knocked on it a few times revealing an irritated Liam. “WHA–“ Liam started but his face immediately softened after his chocolate colored eyes met my piercing blue ones. “Oh.” Oh? I narrowed my eyes at him before shaking my head slightly then giving him a small smile.

“Hi.” He took a step back and gestured for me to come inside. “How are you?” I asked when we both reached the couch and sat down. Well, he plopped down. On the other side. Far from me.

“Alright.” I looked over at him.

“Look I’m sorry if you’re mad that I haven’t talked to you in ages, but things got crazy and I jus–“

“Yeah like you and Harry getting back together.” I heard him grumbled out. My eyes widened slightly in surprise.

“What?” I asked softly trying to hide the shock in my voice. “What’s that supposed to mean Liam?”

“It means that you were stupid to get back together with him.”

“Why? I don’t think it was. We’re both happy and he loves me…”

“Exactly, he loves you.” He stated before turning his body to look at me. “But do you love him?”

“Of course I do!” I exclaimed defensively, shooting him a glare. If I knew he was going to be this way, I wouldn’t have come over. Harry had thought correctly when he said he thought I shouldn’t come. Liam let out a deep sigh before shaking his head and rubbing his fists into his eyes. I took in a deep breath relaxing myself. “Look, Liam I came over because Harry told me what happened.” He looked over at me and sighed.

“He told you? Oh god, Harry.” He threw his head into his hands, shaking his head.

“I’m sorry you went through all that and I wish I would’ve been a better friend to you at the time…” I started but he interrupted.

“I can’t believe he told you I’m in love with you!” He blurted out.

“What?!” I jumped up off the couch looking at him in complete shock and confusion. He stood up quickly with wide eyes.

“He didn’t tell you…” He ran his hand over his shaved head taking a deep breath. “Kaylin,” he breathed out reaching out for me but I took a step back. “Please.”

“You’re in love with me?” I squeaked out and he hesitated a bit before he nodded defeated. “What? Why?”

“Because you’re absolutely amazing Kaylin. You don’t realize the effect you have on guys. You’re brilliant and you are so kind-hearted and you’re…” He lifted his hand to my face, brushing a piece of hair out of my eyes. “You’re beautiful.”

“Liam I’m sorry…” I trailed out the word, unsure of what to say.

“He was miserable when you ended things completely with him. He spent months moping around and always being so negative. I got tired of it, you know?” He dropped his hand, letting his eyes sweep over my face. “So I told him what I thought. I told him that he was stupid, that he should’ve fought for you and that he needed to get his act together or I would quit the band.” He paused. “Makes me sound like I was in love with him but I wasn’t. I just couldn’t stand seeing him being all pissy about something that was his fault. Then I just told him I was in love with you and he got so pissed off, he went mental. That was the start of our… Disagreement. Then things just got worst as the years went on and I just got so… Fucked up because I knew I could never have you like he had you. Like he has you now.”

I didn’t know what to say. How could I have been so oblivious to this whole situation? I feel like I should’ve known that he was in love with me but all those time we would hang out in each other’s apartments or go out to lunch… I thought it was just we being good friends. Maybe it was, but it changed everything because he was in love with me. Liam… In love with me.

“But I know you’re truly really happy with Harry so I would never do anything to compromise your relationship.” I felt his fingers take my hand in his and slip between mine, lacing them together. I didn’t feel the way I did when Harry held my hand. I would feel this warmth rush through my body and I would feel waves of butterflies fill my stomach: the beautiful kind. My heart would start racing and I would feel this excitement, and the adoration I have for Harry, I never felt that with anyone else. I definitely don’t feel that with Liam. Sure, I adore him but not in the way I adore Harry. Liam gives me some warmth but as a friend. He makes me feel safe and he always knows what to say when I’m down. I love him but I’m not in love with him.

I gave his hand a gentle squeeze before pulling it away and wrapping my arms around his neck, giving him a tight hug. “I love you Liam but my heart belongs to Harry,” I whispered softly into his ear. I felt his arm wound themselves around my body.

“I know,” he said quietly. “I’m sorry.”

“Me too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Long. But there's a reason for Liam professing his love for Kaylin. You'll see.

Thank you for those who commented! I really, really, really love comments. And recommendations. And subscribers. They encourage me. Make me feel like I'm not such a horrible writer after all :P

Thank you!
unbroken13
candycanepirate
xomrsmalikxo
sfarrell13

Oh and I don't like this whole 'Haylor' thing. I like Taylor but I like her without Harry. We're going to have some problems if she dates him. Just saying.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Hopefully I'll have the next one up soon!