Call Me Maybe

Chapter 3-Everything's Changing

One Year Later:

In a year a lot had changed. Firstly, I was now a senior at McKinley and getting more solos in Glee club. Secondly, I was no longer obsessed with Blaine, well, I still found him attractive, but what he did a year ago had hurt me. Thirdly, I had a boyfriend and his name is Sam Evans.

I never expected that all this would change, that I would change so much, but I had. And all I want to count on now is getting into Harvard and maintaining my relationship with Sam. However, getting into Harvard was going to be difficult, I couldn’t just be super clever and get the results; I had to be a part of so many groups. So I went straight to the large board in McKinley where you could sign up for as many groups as you could.

And so that’s what I did. The only problem was that Blaine was there too. We flashed one another a somewhat awkward smile, but I thought you know what, this is stupid. “Blaine.” I smiled again. “Look, what happened last year is in the past now, can’t we just forget it?”
“Sure.” He responded. “So, what are you doing here?”
“Signing up.”
“Me too.”

And with that we started writing our name down for clubs. I signed up for the Chess club, book club, drama club, although I had no interest in acting I had to make it look as though I was outgoing and not just obsessed with education. And finally I saw the last sign-up sheet to become senior class president. Only Blaine saw it too and we gave one another a look. “You should sign up for it.” He told me. “You’d be really good for this school.”
“No.” I replied. “You take it, since we’re probably going to do a musical like last year that’ll be plenty of activities for me to achieve my Harvard dream. Plus, I’m already involved in many projects that will get me extra credit.”
“Are you sure?” Blaine asked.
“Yeah, you go ahead.” And with that he signed up, when he finished he turned to me and looked a little timid. “You’ve got my vote.” I told him.
“Thanks.”

I was about to walk onto my next class when suddenly Blaine was following me. “Look, I’m sorry about last year.”
“Why are you apologising now?”
“It’s just I was a little scared because you told me you loved me and when something like that happens I just had to tell Kurt. I hope you understand.”

And in that moment I just didn’t care, I was with Sam now and that meant I was over Blaine and over what had happened. “Relax Blaine, its fine. To be honest I must’ve been mad back then, I mean, telling you I loved you when we’d barely hung out. You had the right to be freaked out and tell Kurt.”
“Ok, thanks. So… don’t suppose you want to be friends again?”
“Sure.”
“I’m so glad, ever since Kurt’s gone off to New York with Rachel I’ve realised that the only reason I came to McKinley was because of him and I could really do with a friend.”
“Of course we can be friends. We’ll even do a duet in Glee club, ok?”
“Ok.” He replied and with that I saw Sam by his locker.
“We’ll talk later.”
“Ok.”

I wandered over to Sam and moved my arms around him and gazed at him. “What’s up with you?” He asked.
“I’m just happy to see you.”
“Me too. You know, us dating had been a great thing around here.”
“Why?”
“Everyone use to focus on the fact I was a stripper and now I’m with you the most intelligent girl in school and it seems as though the stripper stuff just don’t matter.”
“Well, it doesn’t.” I paused. “This time next year you’re going to be making something of yourself and I’m going to be in Harvard and we will still be together, it can’t get much better than that.”
“I hope so.” Sam grinned and leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. Everyone always called him trouty mouth around here, but believe me; he would not be called that if everyone knew what a great kisser he really is.

Eventually we pulled away and I wandered to English and as I walked into the classroom, I saw Brittany sat alone looking sad. I thought about how she’d been left behind and that Santana was at her cheerleading college, so felt I should join her. I took the seat next to her and asked-“How’s it going Brit?”
“Awful, Lord Tubbington is trying to make me feel better about Santana and I’m like look, I don’t want to talk to you, not when you’ve joined a gang. And then he just goes and meows at me and disappears out the house and starts up smoking again. It took me ages to stop him from smoking and he just does it again and again, hurting me even more.”
“I’m sorry about that.”
“That’s ok, so I’m going to be president again this year.”
“All you achieved was a dinosaur prom last year.”
“Yeah, but it was awesome and I’m awesome, so I’ll get the votes.”
“I heard Blaine’s running.” I state.
“He has no chance, he wears weird bow ties which make him look like a clown and I’m like what are you a clown or a person?”
“Umm…”
“Anyway, I’ve got the perfect running mate for Blaine Warbler. I’m going to have Artie as vice president for me and Blaine’s going to work with Sam. I hope I can count on your vote.”
“You know I can’t promise you that, I mean, I’ve got to support Sam.”

Brittany wen quiet and stared at me then, giving me this uneasy feeling. “You’re a part of Lord Tubbington’s gang, aren’t you?”

And with that our English teacher walked into the classroom, much to my relief after the totally confusing conversation with Brittany.

The following day was amazing as it was the day where both Blaine and Brittany would give their speeches. However, they weren’t the highlights. Both Sam and I thought everyone was over the fact he’s a stripper, but clearly not when he was asked if he was ashamed of being a stripper and he said he wasn’t and ripped off his shirt. I laughed so hard, I almost cried and got up and started cheering him on and that was the moment I knew both Blaine and Sam would win.

When I returned home later that day I went straight to my room and put on one of my favourite cd’s and I’m ashamed to admit that one of the songs on the cd I burned was Cough Syrup, which was sung by Blaine. Last year when I got too obsessed with him I recorded him and managed to use that sound file and make a better quality version and then I burned it onto the cd. Despite it being creepy I didn’t care, I genuinely liked the way he sang it.

Quickly I got changed into my pyjamas, only for my dad to come up the stairs and knock on my door. “Come in!” I called.
“There’s a boy at the door for you.”
“Send him up daddy.” I smile, making my dad nod his head and return downstairs.

How sweet of Sam to stop by I thought, despite it being the night of winning the election. My bedroom door opened and in walked a dark, curly haired man. “Blaine.” I said and realised his song was still playing out of my cd player. Quickly I got up and went to turn it off, only for Blaine to notice. “Hey, that’s me singing.”
“Yeah.” I blushed.
“How did you get it?”
“Please don’t make me tell you.” I grumbled.
“Go on.” He grinned.
“When I was obsessed with you, I recorded you with my phone, put the recording on my computer and made it higher quality.”
“Wow, aren’t you the computer nerd?” He paused. “If you wanted me to sing Cough Syrup to you then all you had to do was ask, you didn’t have to go through all this trouble.”

I rolled my eyes, sat down on the bed and Blaine took a seat too. “How do you even know where I live?”
“I know things.” He smiles. “So if you’re over me then why are you listening to me sing?”
“I love your version of that song, ok? It’s not because I like you, I mean, I can listen to Bruno Mars and like him.”

He laughed and started apologising. “Sorry, I’m just flattered, I guess.”
“What brings you here?” I jump straight to the point and suddenly Blaine is looking down at the bed saddened. He’s extremely unhappy. “Since Kurt’s gone to New York I’ve felt so alone. He’s not returning any of my calls and he actually declined my call today. All he does is talk about his job at Vogue and I’m proud of him, I’m happy for him, I am, but he just won’t talk to me. I couldn’t even tell him about the presidential election because he was too busy living it up in New York.”
“I’m sorry.”
“Thanks.”
“Look, with Kurt you’ve got to understand that he has dreams and when your dreams are as big as his you just can’t stop talking about them. I mean, remember last year? You were getting annoyed with him talking about NYADA all the time and not forgetting the boy he was texting non-stop during Whitney week.”

Blaine nodded his head and started crying. “I miss him so much.” I encircle my arms around him and hug him tight, feeling sorry for Blaine and what he’s been going through. But as we pull away, he leans in, only this time he leans into kiss me. “Whoa.” I say and push Blaine away. “Look, I’m with Sam and you’re with Kurt, don’t ruin that, ok?” Blaine was completely silent as I told him this and finally he nodded his head as he realised what was going on. “Yeah, sorry. Your right. I should go.”

He then walked out of my room very quickly and once I heard that front door slam close I let out a sigh I hadn’t realised I’d been holding in. I just couldn’t believe it. I had actually turned Blaine down. Me! What was wrong with me? I could’ve kissed him, something could’ve happened between us, but instead I sent him home.

And as all those thoughts crossed my mind I wandered over to my window and opened it. I was about to call him back, maybe go after him, but then I thought no. This madness has to stop. You’re with Sam, you love Sam and you have got to stop crushing on Blaine. He is not your boyfriend; he will never be your boyfriend, only hurt follows that route.

So I closed my window and tiptoed downstairs into the living room where I took a seat on the sofa, feeling completely depressed. My dad then entered the room too and looked my way. “Jenny, we need to talk.” He told me.
“Ok.” I replied and he took a seat across from me.

What he wanted to say seemed as though it was difficult, as though his mouth was stuck together and he couldn’t say the next words, but then he started speaking quickly and was making no sense at all. “So, you know we agreed you wouldn’t date guys and that your career was more important?”
“Yeah, is this about Sam?” I wondered.
“No… no, it’s just now you’re dating maybe you aren’t as set on a top college.”
“Daddy, now that I’ve got a boyfriend I want to go to Harvard more than ever.”
“Ok, there’s no easy way of saying this Jenny, but we’ve got no money. The company has been going downhill this last year, so I’m sorry, but I can’t pay for you to go to Harvard.”