Call Me Maybe

Chapter 2-I Love You?

It was Kurt that answered the door, which calmed me a little bit. “Come in.” He told me and so I followed his instructions. He looked me up and down and said-“No, this won’t do.”
“I’m sorry?” I asked. He removed my fuzzy cardigan, looked at me again then got rid of the scarf. My cheeks were blushing like mad, I didn’t like this, I felt as though I was showing too much. “Much better!” He told me.
“No, I prefer the cardigan, I don’t like showing cleavage.”
“You are showing about as much as Rachel does.” Kurt informs me, but it doesn’t matter, I’m still feeling insecure.

Blaine looked straight at me, this wide smile on his face, making me again feel awful. No, Blaine can’t think I’m some sort of slut, god, this is so humiliating. He looked at Kurt. “You’re not back to terrorising people about their fashion, are you?” He asked.
“No, I’m just helping Jenny here, not dress so strangely. I mean, have you seen how fuzzy this cardigan is?”
“Well, I like it.” Blaine replied and put the cardigan over my shoulders. Oh, trust me to get in between a gay fashion war.

We all went upstairs then and Rachel was already sat on the bed with a face mask on her face. “Oh, hi Jenny!”
“Hi.” I smiled and Kurt got back to helping Rachel with her face mask.
“What are you doing?” I wondered, taking a seat on the bed and placing my small bag on the floor. And Rachel began explaining to me in great detail why she was using the face mask. “I make sure to wear these every day because if I’m ever going to be a star then I need to look good, I need to look fresh and I can’t look older than I am. Plus, I think my youth will help get me into NYADA.”
“Oh my god, I so badly want a finalist letter!” Kurt put in.
“Me too.” Rachel said and then they got into this heavy discussion about NYADA. I turned to Blaine who was very quiet during their conversation. “Wow, do they talk about NYADA a lot?” I wondered.
“Yeah, I swear it’s all they talk about.”
“Oh, so what do you want to do after school is over Blaine?”
“I’m not sure, I mean, we’re only juniors, I think I’m going to figure that out next year. Probably something to do with performing.”
“Well, if anyone can succeed at it, you can.”
“Thank you. You are too sweet.” He told me and my heart just lit up, as I smiled at his compliment. It was then that I realised how much I liked Blaine. How couldn’t I? He was kind and nice and even his hair had these short little curls in that made him look adorable. And you can’t forget the puppy dog eyes. “Thanks, so are you. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t have even joined the Glee club.”
“Well, we need all the power we can get in Glee and that includes your voice. You did amazing at that Maroon 5 song.”
“You were much better! Hence, why you’re always doing duets with Rachel.”
“How did you know about that?”
“Glee club is on the way to some of my classes and sometimes I’d look in because to be honest I’ve wanted to be a part of Glee club for ages.”
“Well, now you are.”
“Yeah. You know, a little while back I saw you sing It’s not unusual and I think you sang it better than Tom Jones.”
“Thanks you, but he’s a star, I could never sing it as good as him.”
“You already have.” I replied.

And then Blaine became quiet. Suddenly Rachel and Kurt stopped their conversation and turned to us. “So, makeover time!” Kurt put in. “Jenny, it’s time I make you look awesome.”
“I don’t know.” I replied.
“Come on, it will be fun.” I perched at the end of the bed and Kurt and Rachel started getting to work, whilst Blaine just sat in the background. “Ok, have you ever heard of make-up?” Kurt asks me.
“I don’t like to wear it.”
“Well, you are now.”

And then suddenly both Rachel and Kurt were moisturising my face, putting foundation, bronzer on it as well as mascara, eye shadow and lip gloss. My normally straight, light brown hair got curled and they pulled my dress down slightly to show more cleavage. If I didn’t feel self-conscious before I certainly did now. I gazed at myself in the mirror and barely recognised myself. I turned around to Blaine and he became wide eyed. I looked down at myself, did he actually like this look? God, if so then I’ve got to dress like this more often. “I am shocked.” Blaine laughed.
“My turn.” Rachel said and then both Blaine and I were watching Kurt work some magic. He piled the make-up on her and did her hair for her and by the time he finished Rachel looked more promiscuous. “Impressive.” I say. And that’s when Kurt’s father walks into the room. “Right, bed time guys. Blaine, Kurt, you know the rules, separate beds, separate rooms, ok?”
“Yeah, yeah, we know dad.” Kurt replied.

Rachel turned to me then. “Is it alright if I share a room with Kurt tonight, honestly we have so much to discuss about NYADA.”
“You carry on Rachel.”
“Blaine and Jenny you can have my room.” Kurt told us and suddenly I felt uneasy, I was sharing a room with Blaine!

Both Rachel and Kurt left the bedroom and I turned to Blaine. “Right, I’ll get changed in the bathroom.”
“No, need, I’ll go.” He told me and left the room. So quickly I closed the door and pulled on my pyjama top and bottoms, I was glad it covered me up like all my pyjamas.

Blaine came into the room and got into bed. He lay down for a while and I just sat there confused about where I was supposed to be sleeping. “Are you going to just sit there?” He asked me in a kind voice and that’s when I realised we were sharing a bed. “Oh.” I blurted out and turned off the light before climbing into bed next to Blaine. I stayed on the edge of the bed, worried that I’d touch him or something. My dad told me to wait till your older for boys. So I would. Plus, Blaine’s gay and if I made a move on him and he shot me down Kurt would be after me and rightly so. “So have you enjoyed today?” He asked me and I looked over at Blaine, I could just about make out his white vest top in the darkness and how toned his muscles were. I’m surprised I didn’t notice when the light was on. He was staring up at the ceiling so I rolled onto my back and did the same thing. “Yeah, today’s been different, but a good type of different.”
“Well, good. You seemed a bit unsure about the make-over.” He stated.
“Yeah, I don’t dress like this or wear make-up.”
“Well, if it helps I thought you looked stunning.”
“Thanks.”
“I do prefer you looking like you normally do though.”
“Really? Why?”
“Because it’s more you.” I smiled at his answer. Maybe my awful denim on denim look wasn’t so awful after all.

After a short while I wanted to change the subject. “So, NYADA, huh? Do you think you and Kurt can make the long distance work?”
“I hope so, it’s just…” He trailed off.
“It’s just what?” I asked.
“Kurt, he seems so excited about going off to New York and starting a new life. Sometimes I wonder if he even cares about me at all. And every conversation we have it’s always about NYADA. When in some ways I just want things to be like they used to. When everything was ok between us and we’d have fun. I miss that.”

I turned to face him. “Of course he cares about you; he’s just going through a big change. That’s all.” I paused. “Why wouldn’t he care about you? You’re amazing Blaine. You’re the most talented, funny, kind guy I’ve ever met.” He turned over and lay on his side, his eyes bored into mine, even in the dark they shined. “You really think that?” He asked me.
“I really think that. You’re a star Blaine. You might as well be the leader of Glee club with the amount of solos you’re getting.”
“No, Finn’s the leader. He always will be.”
“You’re really modest.” I smile and Blaine takes hold of my hand, suddenly I become heated, start to sweat and my heart beats like crazy. “I think me and you’re going to be good friends Jenny.” I loved the sound of my name on his lips.
“I certainly hope so.” I replied and with that we fell asleep.

Come morning both Blaine and I were still holding hands, I turned over and looked to see his face staring back at me. He smiled and asked-“So would you like to come to Breadstix with me and Kurt tonight?”

Just hearing this made me realise I’d be intruding and I just couldn’t do that. “I would, but I’ve got to study.”
“Got to study, you’re such a snob, Miss I’m getting into Harvard.” He laughed, making me chuckle.
“Well, at least I don’t talk like a snob.”
“Yes you do.”
“No, I don’t! The only snob here is you Blaine Anderson!” I laughed.
“Right.” He began and climbed on top of me and pinned my arms down. I didn’t know what was happening, yet I didn’t care, all I knew was that Blaine was touching me and I liked it. “Admit that you’re a snob.” He told me.
“Never! You admit that you’re a snob. Hey, weren’t you in a private school?”

He laughed at my response and moved in closer. Suddenly, I wasn’t laughing, I wasn’t laughing because I was mesmerised by him. I’d never in my life been this close to a boy, let alone Blaine Anderson! And well, despite knowing that his boyfriend was just next door, despite knowing Blaine was gay I puckered my lips slightly in anticipation of him kissing me. Here I was, never been kissed and maybe just maybe Blaine could be my first kiss. He moved in closer and I thought this is it, this is it, but then the door burst open and Blaine was quick to roll off me. “Hi!” Kurt smiled at us both. “Did you both sleep well?”
“Yes.” Blaine and I said in guilty tones at what had almost just happened.
“So did Rachel and I we couldn’t stop talking about our chemistry performances in glee club, apparently she’s going to be doing this amazing number with Finn and I was saying to her we should do a number Blaine.”
“Yeah, definitely.” Blaine replied smiling.

After how awkward everything was with Kurt considering what he nearly walked in on, I was more than relieved to be back home. Happily reading up on science and math, it was the one thing I could count on. And that’s what I did for the rest of the weekend.

Soon enough though, it was Monday and I was back to peaking in my locker, only for Blaine to tap me on the shoulder. “Hey.” He offered me a warm smile, making my heart melt.
“Hi.” I replied.
“So, we need to talk.” Immediately I knew this was about the kiss we’d almost shared, suddenly I got my hopes up and I started to talk too much. “Yes we do.” I admitted. “Blaine, when we were in bed together, holding hands that was amazing and what was even better was when we almost kissed. I loved it. I love you.” I stopped myself. Oh, shoot, why did you have to say that to him? You don’t even love him; you just like him a lot. I was about to storm off, but Blaine put his hand in the way. “No, come on; let’s talk somewhere a bit more private.” He said and clasped hold of my arm before practically dragging me to an empty classroom. He closed the door behind him and the first thing he said was-“You love me?”
“I…” I began.
“You love me?” He ran his fingers through his perfectly gelled hair and started pacing up and down the room. “No, I didn’t mean that. It just came out.” I sighed and took a seat, only for Blaine to come and take a seat next to me. I was yet again embarrassed in front of Blaine and I hated it. Why couldn’t I have kept my big mouth shut? “Look, I love Kurt Jenny. And I’m not going to lie, something nearly happened between us, but it wasn’t love. Why would you say that?”
“I don’t know why I said it. All I know is I’ve been crazy about you ever since you first came to McKinley and right then I couldn’t contain how I felt any longer. Sorry for creeping you out.”
“No, no, it’s not creepy. Look, it’s clear to me that there’s something here, but nothing can happen between us. I’m gay and if something did happen then I’d never forgive myself for cheating on Kurt, are we clear?”
“Yes.” I say, looking dumbfounded at the floor. “So what’s going to happen?”
“We have to stop being friends. Just don’t talk at all. Go back to the way things were before I knew you, ok?”
“Ok.” I say and look at Blaine’s cute little red bow tie before he gets up and walks towards the door. “It’s crazy, nothing’s happened, we barely know each other and already we’re not friends.”
“It’s for the best.” He replies. “Stop this now before anything at all happens, ok?”
“Ok…”

And with that he left and I walked to Glee club and sat in the back row. Only to see Kurt and Blaine performing. And together they sang She Said by Plan B. I thought this song was appropriate, particularly when Blaine looked my way and sang-“She said, I love you boy, I love you soul. She said I love you baby oh oh oh…”

As I watched the performance between them both and saw the way Kurt looked at me too, I could tell that he knew. And if I didn’t feel bad before I certainly did now…