Status: work in progress.. will update on weekends.. thanks for reading.

Cross the Line

Nationals!

ALEX'S POV

I paced back and forth backstage, it was a few more turns until I was next. I was just doing an acoustic version of 'Angels on the Moon' by Thriving Ivory. I was fidgety and worried. Sad and depressed. Mainly because Blake wasn't here. "You'll be fine!" Rian massaged my shoulders a bit. Trying too loosen me up a little.

Why wasn't Blake here? Was he embarrassed to be my roomie 'cause he's positive that I would lose? The thought bothered me. I tried to shake the thought off but it stuck like glue.

Zack and Jack were trying to find a way up to the 2nd floor seats of the arena leaving me and Rian. "What's up? It's just another performance. You've done millions." I sighed and rubbed my face with my hands. "I want Blake to be here." I mumbled. He sighed. "Me too."

I examined the beanie I was wearing, the one from Blake. It was a simple grey beanie, wrinkled and used. But that's what gave it it's meaning and also made it that much more comfortable to wear. It's embarrassing and slightly creepy to say but, I can smell Blake on it. I sent a silent prayer above, and thought about Blake. God, if she's listening pass this message to her...

I need you, Blake.

"Alex, you're on after this guy. In about 15 minutes." One of the crew member's told me as he jerked his thumb towards the guy who was strumming a guitar. I groaned and sat down on the random couch. I pulled out my phone and dialled Blake's number. The phone rang but he didn't pick up.

Right now, I wasn't afraid of winning or losing. I wasn't afraid of embarrassing myself and losing. I just wanted Blake to be here. Watching me do what I love, performing. I walked towards the stage and peeked from behind the curtain. The crowd was humongous and noisy. All cheering and singing along. I spotted a few students from school with posters and banners, waiting for me.

'Alex, I'm coming back!' a voice that sounded exactly like Blake rang in my head. I shook my head. I'm missing him so much that I'm hearing things.

After what seemed like an eternity (but was only about an hour or so), It was my turn.

The guy finished his song and bowed. "You're on!" the crew guy said. "You got this, kay?" Rian encouraged me but his face was also worried. I nodded and picked up my guitar. I took a few deep breaths and went through the song in my head.

As soon as I made my appearance on stage, the crowd went wild. Of course, I was Alex Gaskarth. Everyone assumed that I would win. "Alex! Alex! Alex!" I heard them chant. I sat on the stool and waved to the crowd. "Hey, I'm Alex!" Just that 3 words made the whole arena was cheering and all the girls were swooning. I looked up and saw Jack and Zack waving and shouting like idiots.

What should my intro be.. I closed my eyes for a bit and pictured Blake standing next to Zack and Jack. I pictured him smiling proudly, cheering me on. I imagined him singing with me, being there to congratulate me after my performance. God, help me now.

I smiled. "This song, is dedicated to a few of the most important people in my life. My band mates for their unwavering support..." Jack and Zack were shouting and literally hanging off the railing from the 2nd floor. ".. and Blake Conrad. For being my voice. Most of you won't know, but I lost my voice for the past few weeks. Blake has been there helping me get my voice back. So this is dedicated to him too."

BLAKE'S POV

I was getting out the taxi, while Daniel was getting my bags out the taxi boot. I had been staring out the window silently for the whole taxi ride. I was worrying about Alex. Would he sing alright? Would his voice crack? What if he can't sing at all after this..

"Are you okay?" Daniel asked. I snapped out of my thoughts and nodded slowly. "I'm sorry to make you do this" I just nodded. I didn't feel like talking much.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay and see Alex sing? That's the only reason why you came here. There's a flight available in the evening. I can-" I cut him off. "No. I don't think I want to. It's all because of me that he can't sing. I don't have any confidence to watch him."

He sighed. "Blake," he grabbed me b the shoulders. "Go and watch the National's. Alex said he's singing it for you, right? He's your roommate. Alex is your friend. I think you should go and watch him. He would be really sad if you weren't there." I smiled.

'I need you, Blake.'

I heard Alex's voice. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. "Did you hear that?" I asked Daniel. He looked confused. "Hear what?" I grinned and looked back at the taxi. "I want to watch the National's. Alex needs me." I said confidently. He nodded.

I jumped into the taxi and told him the address. "Step on it!" I ordered. We sped down the freeway back to the school.

Alex, I'm coming back.

ALEX'S POV

I was about to start when I heard a shout from the crowd. "Alex!" I snapped my head to the direction of the voice. I squinted. There were so many girls waving like crazy. But squished in the middle was Blake.

He's here! He's back! Suddenly, my chest felt lighter and I felt much more confident then before.

He gave me a thumbs up and started cheering like the rest of the crowd. Then I started to play.

I let my happiness and all my emotions flood into the lyrics and my voice. The crowd had quiet down to hear my voice as well. While performing, I only focused my gaze on Blake who was grinning at me. If I looked at anyone else I thought my voice would crack and fail.

I finished the song, said thanks to the judges and the crowd, then proceeded to literally run off stage. At the same time, I saw Blake also running backstage.

I leaned on the wall and put a hand over my heart. I was trying to steady it as it was beating like crazy after my session of intense gazing at Blake. I sighed and panted. Trying to get my breath back. Even though I was tired, panting and sweating. The smile never disappeared from my face,

I felt someone lean next to me. I opened my eyes and saw Blake. "I thought you were leaving?" I asked. He grinned, "How could I? My roomie was competing!" We laughed. "Were you disappointed that I couldn't sing. Were you confident that I would lose? Is that why you left?" He made a 'dafuq' face and slapped my arm. "How dare you! I came because I wanted to see my roomie win!" I laughed but on the inside, my heart sighed with relief.

"Congratulations." he said after a moment of silence. "Your voice didn't crack like you were going through puberty." he burst out laughing at his own comment. shook my head at him.

I put my arm around him and pulled him in for a hug.
♠ ♠ ♠
TA-DAH! Blake returns to watch Alex sing...
Thanks for reading!
STAY AWESOME!