Body Clock

.03 - Sunny Days.

Ryan was sunbathing on the front lawn when he first saw him. In the false sepia of his bug sunglasses, he watched the boy work his way down the school drive with swinging hips and dramatic sighs. Ryan didn’t know the boy’s name and didn’t recognize his face. Ryan was one of the most popular boys in the school, things like that just didn’t happen.

He tugged lightly on Bird’s sleeve.

”Yo, Bird, who is that dude?” he asked, referring to the unknown boy.

“I’d say… American nationality; just moved to the area; new kid; pissed to be here; probably joining the 11th grade by his looks oh and look Ryan, another flamboyant gay! Yo, we may have a match!” Bird teased.

Ryan’s eyes followed the boy as he entered the school, slamming the door behind him. His eyes lingered on the doors long after they had closed. Soon, a hand was waving in front of his eyes.

“Earth to Ryan?”

Ryan blinked rapidly, smiling at his stupidity. He glanced at the half eaten salad in his lap. Right now, he really wasn’t up to eating, but this voice in the back of his head told him he had to.

Five portion of fruit and vegetables per day, keep the doctors away.

Ryan settled down to munch cantankerously on his salad, pushing the thoughts of this unknown boy to the back of his head; he could find out some other day. He tapped his foot along to September, the song wasn’t audible; it was playing on repeat in his head.

“You’ll never see me agaiiiiiin!” Lyndsey screamed to his far right. “So no-one’s going to cry for you!”

Ryan paused mid mouthful, a little shocked.

‘Well, if that wasn’t coincidence.’

Becca’s rich caramel eyes met his own muddy brown orbs. She cocked her eyebrow.

“Don’t you just love that song?” she laughed.

The end of break bell rang in the distance and Ryan looked down at his half finished salad, promising himself he would eat it at break. He slipped the clear box into his bag, withdrawing his planner at the same time. Ryan had a free period next; he sighed happily and thanked the higher power.

“I’ve got a free period, what about you guys?”

“Ditto! Shotgun sunbathing,” Spencer called, emerging in front of Ryan.

“Hooray for you. Now, get out of my sunlight ass hat, I’m tanning.”

Spencer fell to the ground beside Ryan as the rest of the group flittered to their next lessons.

“Yes, I meant it when I said I was gay earlier,” Ryan sighed, not even needing to turn to tell Spencer was eager to hound his newly gay friend.

Spencer made a sound, clearly, now, out of conversation. That was the problem with Spencer and sunbathing, the energetic teen couldn’t keep the ants in his pants. Every few minutes the sound of Spencer turning from his back to his front or vice versa was heard. Unable to put up with his spirited friend anymore, Ryan tore his art pad from his bag with a huff, thoroughly pissed that he had to resort to work in a free period.

“Ooooh, art?”

“Yes, Spencer,” Ryan sighed.

“What’s it gonna be?”

“Still life.”

“Oh! I’ll be your model if you like. No? Oh… Well, let me see it!”

Ryan was close to pulling his hair out. Spencer was terrible at covering up when he had a question eating away at him.

“For God’s sake, Spencer! What is your damn problem?!”

Spencer blushed apologetically, grinning like a kid caught in the cookie jar.

“What’s it like to be gay?” Spencer asked innocently enough, besides the evil smirk.

“Like being hetero, but with double the man chicken,” Ryan joked, shouldering Spencer.

“Ew…” Spencer announced, finally settling down to sunbathe contentedly.

Ryan ignored his childish friend, as the unknown boy from earlier emerged from the main school. Sparkles almost fell from his body as he tossed his hair sulkily and rammed sunglasses onto his face. The boy looked up and quirked Ryan a strange look when he saw him watching. A blush crept up Ryan’s neck and he came over all shy. He looked away quickly, suddenly extremely interested in his belt buckle. He prayed with all his might the boy didn’t come over, he knew his mouth would turn to slushie as he grasped sentences like life buoys.

“Yo!” Spencer declared.

Ryan kept his eyes trained to the floor, too shy to look up.
“Uhh… Ryan? Who you hiding from?”

“Oh! Lyndsey!” Ryan gasped, raising his eyes, both happy and upset the voice holder wasn’t male or unknown.