Free Bird.

What started out as friendship, has grown stronger

Jeremy

That night I head over to Chris and Nikki’s to watch a movie; it’s become a weekly ritual with us. Just as I’m walking up to the door, it opens revealing Chris, rushing to get out of the house. “Can’t stay, Minka and I are going out on a date and I’m already late.” He says, rushing pass me. I shake my head before heading into the house. Upon entering the house, my nostrils are assaulted by the smell of baked apples and cinnamon sugar; something that reminds me of the fall even if it’s clearly early spring. The house is filled with the sounds of Bad Company and the faint sound of an electric mixer. I head further into the house and see Nikki mixing up some kind of batter as she sings along with the song Bad Company. I lean up against the door frame leading into the kitchen, watching her dance around as she mixes the batter.

“Need any help?” I loudly ask her, causing her to jump at little.

“When did you get here?” She asks after turning off the mixer. “I didn’t hear the door open.”

“Like you can hear it over Bad Company.” I chuckle. “I just got here a couple seconds ago.”

“So how much of the singing did you hear?” She asks me, blushing a bit.

“Enough to know you have an amazing voice.” I tell her, causing her to blush more. “Are you blushing Miss Greene?”

“Bite me, Renner.” She smirks before going back to mixing her batter.

“Maybe later mama.” I joke with her as I hop up onto the disaster free counter next to her. “What are you even making?”

“A apple cake; a recipe that’s been in my family for generations.” She replies. “I’ve been craving it.”

“You do realize you’re birthday is tomorrow right?” I ask her. “You shouldn’t have to make a cake for yourself.”

“I don’t trust Chris in the kitchen and most store bough cakes are too dry; I’m picky with certain things.”

“I can tell.” I laugh, causing a smile to grow on Nikki’s face as she goes back to her cake batter, softly singing along with the music.

**

“I think you should take a break and dance with me.” I announce, causing Nikki to stop cleaning to look at me with a questioning look. “Don’t look at me like that and just do it.” I laugh as I walk over to her ihome and went through her play list; stopping at the song I think fits perfect with what I’m feeling.

Nikki gives me more of a questioning look when the music starts playing. “Can’t Fighting This Feeling, really?” She chuckles as I walk over to her, taking her hand before putting mine on the small of her back. She relaxes and puts her other hand on my shoulder as we begin to sway to the music. “You know friends don’t usually dance to this song.”

“Maybe we should change that.” I vaguely suggest, causing her to pull away. I guess it wasn’t that vague. “You can’t tell me you don’t feel anything between us.”

“I do, but---”

“You’re afraid, I get it. But you can’t keep running when something good comes into your life.” I tell her. “You can’t be afraid of something that might not even happen.”

“I know.” She croaks out. “This relationship won’t be like my rest. If we break up, it’ll go public and viral and that’s something I can’t handle yet. I do feel something for you Jeremy; I truly do.”

“Then be with me.” I tell her. “I’m not like the other losers you dated, Nik. I won’t hurt you.” She looks up at me with tears forming in her big brow eyes. I slowly lean in, gently kissing her lips. She kisses back, wrapping both arms around my neck; pulling me down further. I pull away a little; resting my forehead on her. “I think I love you.” I whisper.

“I think I love you too.” She whispers back before kissing me one more time…
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit: Can't Fight This Feeling by REO Speedwagon

comment&subscribe?