Vamp Camp

002: Survival of the Fittest

Next thing I knew, I was being carried away. I was delirious. I didn't know which way was up or down. All I knew was that the pain had worsened. I could hear whispers as we passed others. I couldn't see anything. Not the person holding me, our surroundings, or even where we were going. All I could tell through the increasing pain was that we were going down.

My stomach twisted even tighter as the urge to get sick pushed through again. The pain in my neck and shoulder had spread into my chest. It felt as though the scalding sting would never cease as I reached and whipped down my arm. I couldn't help the whines and whimpers that escaped my lips as my sobs pulled at the wound.

I was then lying on a cool surface. It was what felt like a very thin, firm bed.

"What happened?" I heard a female voice sigh. I squeezed my eyes shut as my body spasmed. It felt as though something was squeezing my heart. My heart rate jumped and I couldn't breathe.

I whimpered and gasped for breath. I coughed as I choked on my short breath. The scalding increased and gripped at my chest. I let out a strangled whimper.

"She was bitten." The female voice sighed. "Alexander?" I didn't hear an answer. What the hell!? Were they just going to sit there!? I was obviously in pain wasn't I!? I almost doubled over as a spasm hit. "Geraldine won't be happy. As it is, there won't be any female members at this school." I heard heels clicking toward me. "Any way... It's too late. That wasn't immortal venom. I don't know what he was thinking. This is going to-"

"I know what it's going to do! Just do something!" The one whose name hadn't been completely uttered. He sounded just as strangled as I felt. My gasping for breath wasn't working any more. I couldn't breath.

"There isn't anything I can do Christopher." The female's voice was strained. "We can only-"

He cut her off again, "Give her some morphine or something. Just do something!" Christopher growled. I didn't know why he was so pushy on helping me. I'd only just met him, though it felt as though I'd known him for ever.

"I was going to say: We can only make her comfortable." She snapped back. "You're really the one saying this to me. You're the one who can control that. You do something."

I heard him, or what I thought was him, walk over. I felt his shaky breath on my face. The feel of his cool hands on my hand startled me. The pain began to, almost instantaneously, dull. His cool hand felt amazing on mine. I shivered and felt no pain. I was grateful for this. My sobs still stung a bit, but they were nothing compared to what they had been. I kept my eyes closed as I could feel my body begin to shake. I could feel something coming. Just didn't know what it was yet.

Then my body was on fire again. I felt my back arch and two cold hands grab me. The fire burned and ripped through my chest and circled down my spine. My toes and fingers ached as they began to grow cold. The flaming smolder that threatened my heart made it start beating erratically. I let out a small cry as my chest pounded and burned. It felt as though something was stabbing its way out. I felt my heart race. It burned and pounded sending wave after wave of pain through my chest. It was starting to get even harder to breathe. The well that threatened to erupt from me was making it worse.

A strangled cry leaped from my lips as Christopher spoke, "It's not working any more!" His growl was frustrated and a bit strangled. I tried to focus on the sound of his voice to distract me. "Listen... Don't you die, you understand me!?" I cried out as a heavy pain stabbed my shoulder. It felt as though my arm might fall off. No. His voice wasn't strong enough. I could feel my aching body quiver while Christopher's hands tried to restrain me. I felt tears well up in my eyes, but I did my best to repress them.

Then I heard another voice. This one I recognized. "What happened!?" Mr. Geraldine's voice boomed. For such a tiny man he was quite menacing. I twitched which sent a pain spasm throughout my body. I gasped in a staggered breath as I heard the female whisper something. "What!" Mr. Geraldine's roar made me jump. I whimpered trying as hard as I could to hold back the spring of tears. There were angry footsteps moving away. I was pretty sure that it was Mr. Geraldine.

Then my toes became numb. The fire slowly started retreating up my legs, then my torso, and then my arms. For a few moments it concentrated on licking at my chest and blazed heavily until it too eventually began to recede. I let out a quivering sigh as I let go the tears I'd been holding onto. I shakily wiped my eyes as my pulse pounded in my ear.

It was also then that the hazy vale of calm, that had worked on my once before, began to envelop me. I opened my strained eyes and peered into the pale face of my male savior. His beautiful hazel-jade eyes were full of shock and alarm. I felt my soft tears well over and trickle down my face. Christopher turned to look behind me.

"How odd." It was the same soft female voice. The female came to stand next to him. She was just as beautiful as him, only not as pale. Her stark blonde hair was tied into a tight bun, and her pale caramel irises were intrigued. She wore what seemed to be a nurse's uniform. That must be what she is. She placed her hand, which was several degrees warmer than my skin, to my forehead. I let out a shiver as a wave of cool fell over my body. It was freezing!

"Hmm..." She seemed utterly confused and puzzled. "You weren't changed, but your skin is a couple of degrees lower than your normal body temperature. Mathew-" There was a muttered retort, "Would you bring me a blanket from the closet?" There was a mumbled answer that I couldn't hear.

I was straining to keep my eyes open. There was now only a dull pain in my neck. My breaths were ragged but much easier to suck in. I didn't see Mathew, only his hand, as he handed the blanket to the nurse. Christopher helped the nurse cover me with the warm blanket and the nurse stood.

"I'm going to go assure Mr. Geraldine that she's alive." She turned and walked off gracefully. I watched after her until she exited the room.

Mathew then came into my line of sight. He was extremely handsome as well and just as pale as Christopher. His thin sandy blond hair was short in the back and he had longer bangs. He brushed his bangs out of his eyes to reveal silvery blue irises. He was tall and lean just like Christopher as well.

"Well... Having fun yet?" Mathew's words came out in a snarl. I was taken aback by his hostility. What had I done?

"Come on Matt, not right now..." Christopher's plea seemed to fall onto deaf ears.

"I'll do as I please." Matt's growl was even more menacing. I sunk back into the stiff bed, ignoring the slightly painful pressure that resulted.

I wiped my eyes as Christopher spoke, "No, knock it off Mathew! It's not her fault-"

"I'm going to stop you there before you give me some long spiel about how it's not her fault." He grumbled, "I'm well aware of the fact that none of this is her fault." He crossed his arms giving me a dark look. "Let's face the facts, she doesn't belong here. Just smell her-"

"I already have..." Christopher growled back. I stared between the two a bit bewildered.

"With a scent like that, this will most likely happen again." He barked, "The only thing it will take is another weak-willed one like Alexander or even someone who hasn't hunted in while. Face it-" He snarled, "she doesn't belong here."

Christopher sighed impatiently. "I won't let it happen..." There was an odd protective tinge to his voice that I didn't understand.

"Oh no... No...?" Mathew sounded disgusted, "What the hell!?"

"What!?" Christopher growled back.

"No! You are not-" He didn't finish. He gave Christopher a disapproving look.

"Care to share?" Christopher's tone was now irritated, "Are you forgetting that I'm not blessed with your little gifts?"

"Alright first of all, you can stop cursing me in your mind." There was a smirk on his face but it was only brief. These two were confusing. Where was the humor in someone cursing at you? What the hell! Can he read minds or something!? The hazy veil almost made the irritation impossible, so I had no choice but to be patient. "And second... You'll find out what I'm talking about." He grimaced at me at the last part.

Christopher glared at him which made Mathew chuckle darkly.

Alexander's POV

I sighed as Demitri stood next to me. I slouched against the wall, sitting on the floor. The sweet taste of that girls blood still lingered in my mouth. Just the memory of the delicious crimson red flowing into my mouth made a smile spread across my face. I could still taste the venom, that I'd accidently injected into her, in my mouth.

Such a pity... I was going to miss the sweet fragrance that came off of her skin. The potency of the warm plasma that ran through her veins... The lovely scent of her hair as I'd brushed it out of the way to reveal her neck. I really should have better control of my venom. Maybe if I could find another one like her, I wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

It would've been nice to see what her lips felt like against mine. To embrace her and allow her delicate body to gingerly press against mine... To feel the gentle pulse beneath her soft, warm skin... To taste the potency of her mesmerizing scent in my mouth as I breathed it in... To feel her shiver beneath my cold body... Yes, that would've been nice.

I guess it was a good thing Mathew wasn't here to hear my fantasies of a dead girl. That thought made me chuckle. It was a sad fact, but the girl was truly as good as dead. The fantasies returned whenever I thought about her. I licked the blood off of my lips as I looked up at Demitri.

His stance was stiff and authoritive. I could tell that he disapproved. I wondered if it was his tracker abilities that allowed him to resist such a savory flavor.

Oh how nice it would be to taste it once again. Maybe I would just put her out of her misery when no one was paying attention. Unfortunately I'd have to go across school and into the nurse's office to do it, but it'd be worth it. Though, getting past a tracker as talented as Demitri would prove difficult. Maybe even impossible. My talents don't work well on vampires or males, yet alone a male vampire.

I sighed, what a bother...

"Don't even think about it..." Demitri's deep low voice sounded odd in the quiet hallway.

I gave him the most innocent look I could muster, "What ever do you mean?"

Demitri rolled his eyes, "That hasn't worked on me since we were two Alexander."

"Oh, you must be angry. We're now on a full name basis." I shot a smirk up at him. This shouldn't be that amusing, but I'd always rather enjoyed pissing others off.

"Geraldine's going to fly off the handle, Alexander!" Demitri snapped, "Do you even care?"

"Oh what's that tiny tub of lard going to do?" I chuckled with bitter amusement, "Expel me...?" I laughed again at the thought. Geraldine wouldn't dare...

"Alexander!" I bellowing growl reached me. Speaking of the devil... I turned to see the tiny man standing at the end of the hall. He stormed over, "My office now!"

I sighed with fake innocents, "Do I have to?"

"Now dammit!" He pointed down the hall. I sighed, all humor gone now, and heaved myself off the ground.

I kept my arms crossed as the chunky man lead me down the hall. I stared at everyone that started at me smugly. I wasn't Christopher and I could even feel the jealousy. I was not only drenched in her scent, but what I had done wasn't a secret by now. I was as proud as a warrior wearing the blood of my enemies.

We'd finally reached his office after a couple of tense minutes. "Sit." He ordered pointing to a bland chair. I rolled my eyes and plopped down. I was going to be here for a while, so I got comfortable.

Geraldine turned to glare at me, "What the hell were you thinking!?" He growled, "This is the third female member of this school that you've attacked this week!" He started pacing. Here comes the speech, "That poor girl hasn't even gotten through her first day yet!" He stopped and pointed to the door dramatically. I rolled my eyes as the fantasies about the girl returned, forcing a smile to dance across my lips.

"Now that poor girl won't even see the light of day again! It's because you were to weak-willed to control your cravings!" He jabbed a meaty finger at me. "Wipe that damn smile off of your face. This is not humorous. Now, I promised your mother that I would look after you. If I'd had my way you would be either expelled or wearing a muzzle!"

I let out a laugh at the thought of wearing a muzzle, "You know old man, that would only make me look like a bad ass."

Geraldine gave me a look of fury that stopped every delinquent in the school in their tracks. It never phased me...

His face flushed red and he jabbed one of his sausages at me. "Boy, I suggest you shut your mouth before I shut it for you! I am sick of your recklessness."

"Ha ha, I guess I will sort of miss that poor girl. I didn't even get her name." He laughed. My mouth watered as her amazing scent circled throughout my mind.

His face drained of any color now. I guess I'd better shut up, ha ha. He began to speak when the door opened.

The nurse stepped in. Her stark blonde hair was spun into a neat bun against the back of her head. Her pale caramel eyes were a bit relieved. So sad... The girl must've already passed away.

"Mr. Geraldine..." She glanced over at me and then back at the small man standing before him.

"Miss Drake, what is it?" Geraldine's face looked a tad grim.

"This will shock you..." She walked over and I saw her bright red lips form the words: "She survived the venom."

I saw his eyes widen in disbelief and relief. I felt my expression soon match his. "What!?" The chunky man exclaimed.

Now my fantasies of the girl were on a rampage. I could feel the dark smirk spread across my lips as the thought of her succulent blood dripping down my raw throat. For the first time, the thought sent a surge of thirst down my throat. The pain scalded and burned, but I welcomed it. All I needed was a chance to quench the hunger to be close to her again.

I could see her chocolate eyes in my mind. They'd be wide with fear... Her sweet dark chestnut hair would gently flow around her face as I brushed it away from her neck with my fingers. I would hold her dainty body to mine timidly. I'd press my lips against her warm, red lips. Her soft skin would heat up to my touch as I caressed her body. Oh yes... It would be sweet.

Geraldine was giving me a cold look. "You are to stay away from her, you hear me?" I ignored him as my smile grew larger, "I said: Do you understand me!?"

I was unfortunately pulled out of my sweet fantasy at this point. There was only one way to get him off of my back, "Fine, yeah, whatever..." He glared at me, "Yes! I will stay away from her..." I lied irritably.

"Good. You can go." He turned to the nurse, "I'm sure you'll need to treat her wound." She nodded and exited the office.

"Well I'm out-" He cut me off.

"If I get any word of you having touched her, You will be transferred into the night classes." He growled. I shivered. The night classes were filled with a bunch of freaks.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah..." I brushed him off and stepped out of the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had a slight problem actually describing the immense amount of pain that Amorette is in. I got off track very easily but I tried my best to be able to back to it as best as possible. I just hope that this doesn't bleed through. Alexander... His point of view was my favorite part of this chapter. As corrupted or messed up as it may sound, I actually enjoyed writing in his perspective. It was my favorite part. I don't know why but his standpoint is interesting to me. I often found myself getting lost in his lustful and dark fantasies.