Status: Finished!

Lone Survivors

I Wasn't Welcome Anymore

Days went by of me being silent. Carol and the Greene family were mourning, and rightfully so. Losing family was never easy. Daryl seemed to be keeping his distance from me, and even Andrea was quiet, but I didn’t care. I just did whatever chores I needed to do and then went back to reading. There was nothing better to do, and I couldn’t make up my mind as to whether or not I wanted to leave the group.

Dale was the only one who started conversations with me. He lent novels to me and made sure I was feeling okay, even though I always lied to him. I had a feeling he knew, but he would leave the topic alone.

Excitement buzzed around the group upon the arrival of Randall, an injured teenager that Rick had saved on a trip to town. Hershel asked for my assistance during the quick operation, but I wasn’t really needed. Afterwards he claimed it was more of a learning experience, but it just seemed like I was even more useless to them. They only thing I was semi-good at was first aid, but they had Hershel for that. Everything was so disappointing.

I was outside with my book when Rick and Shane came back from their trip to drop Randall off in town, and they still had Randall. Everyone was confused and I joined the crowd that was surrounding the two men. They had changed their minds about letting him go, and were now wanting to kill Randall, for the safety of the group. I was outraged.

“How can you want to kill him? How is that fair?” I asked Rick loudly. Everyone seemed to quieten down and look at me. Rick hesitated. “You’ll let me live but you won’t let him live?”

“It’s different,” Rick began.

“How? I’m sure he’d be more useful than me!” I argued, knowing it was true. He was a young male; he’d be strong physically and mentally. Randall could help them.

“You weren’t a threat, and he is now. We have to reconsider,” Rick told me sternly.

“If I’m not a threat, then why do you all treat me like I am one?” I questioned everyone in a loud voice. No one replied. Eyes dropped to the ground and feet shifted uncomfortably. “Great…” I turned quickly and walked away from the group I belonged to, going back to the campsite for some space. I sat down beneath a tree and stared out at the fields. What was I still doing here? They clearly had double standards, and I wasn’t welcome anymore. I heard footsteps coming over and glanced up, seeing Dale was approaching me. Without a word he joined me beneath the tree. His presence was comforting, even though he hadn’t spoken.

“This group is broken,” he said softly after a moment of silence. I couldn’t agree more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait, I've had some personal matters to attend to. Expect frequent updates again now (and yes, you'll really want to read the next one!).

Thank you to TheGoodLlama, HotRanger69, Zombiexlollipop, nothingisasitseems, sillyfrancais, itsparamshayall, XTeamSammiX, and deppfreak4234 for all of the comments on the last update. Hopefully this chapter gives more insight into Mandy's character (as suggested by a commenter a while ago).

How is everyone coping without new episodes of TWD?