Status: Active

Blood Lines

My First Day on the Job

My alarm clock blared with Your Betrayal by Bullet For My Valentine waking me up from my slumber. I grabbed my phone shutting off the loud noise and slowly sitting up in bed and swinging my feet over the edge letting them dangle there. I finally got to my feet and slowly made my way over to the closet where I grabbed a pair of jeans and t-shirt before grabbing some underclothes and going into the bathroom. I turned on the water letting it warm up as I stripped out of my pajamas and looked at myself in the mirror. I smoothed my hair out the best I could before getting into the shower. The warm water cascaded down my neck and back waking me up more than my alarm did.

I finished up with my shower and wrapped a towel tightly around my head and began drying the rest of me off. I slipped on the black and pink boy shorts and the matching bra and then put on my jeans and t-shirt. I grabbed the dirty clothes as I exited the bathroom and I placed them into the laundry basket. I picked up my phone checking the time and I had an hour before I had to be at the Sanders’ home. I took the towel out of my hair and let it drop to the floor as I brushed through it getting all the tangles out of it. I grabbed the towel from the floor and tossed it into the bathroom and seen that I needed to do a load of towels when I get home not to mention I would need to do a load of my clothes as well. I put on some socks and then my shoes and grabbed my phone and left my room going down to the kitchen to fix me a quick little breakfast.

I grabbed a bowl form the cabinet and just decided on some cereal. I checked my phone periodically to make sure I had enough time and I did. I finished up my cereal and washed the bowl and spoon and headed out of the house. I got into my car and the engine roared to life. I backed out and started my way back to the Sanders.

Again just like yesterday it didn’t take long before I was pulling into the driveway. I parked the car in an empty spot beside another car and got out locking my car and setting the alarm in case some idiot had the good idea to try and steal it. I walked up to the door and knocked and seconds later Matt appeared.

“Good morning Roxy.”

“Good morning. How are you today?” I asked smiling.

“I’m good. Val is making breakfast if you’re hungry.”

“No thank you. I ate before I came.” I said shaking my head.

“Oh well come on in and you can meet Skylar and then I’ll give you a tour of the house.”

“Thank you.” I said as he stepped aside letting me come into the house. I was still in amazement at their home. It is a lot bigger than mine but I’m not complaining. I’m content with what I have. Matt led me into the kitchen where Val was busy working on breakfast.

“This little guys is Skylar. Say hello buddy.”

“Hello!” the little boy said in a cheery and his face showing a giant smile.

“Hello to you too Skylar. How old would you be?”

“I’m 2.” He said holding up 2 of his fingers.

“Wow! You’re getting to be a big boy now!”

“I know. Mommy tells me every day.” He said still sporting a smile.

“Hello Val.”

“Hey Roxy. Sorry I would shake your hand but I’m kind of occupied right now.” She said looking over her shoulder at me with a smile.

“It’s not a problem.”

“How about that tour?” Matt said and I nodded and followed him out of the kitchen.

“You already know where the kitchen and the living room are so I’ll show you the rest of the house.”

“Lead the way.” I said smiling. I followed him up the stairs and he showed me several different bedrooms that he said wouldn’t be necessary to clean unless he or Val asked me to do so. He showed me the bathrooms and a closet where all the things I would need to clean the rooms were for. He told me the items to clean the kitchen were under the sink.

“Matt! Breakfast is ready!” Val yelled as we came back down the hallway. We entered the kitchen and Matt sat down and started filling his plate as I went over to the kitchen and started cleaning the skillet Val had used to cook breakfast.

“Roxy I could have done that.”

“Val it’s my job and I don’t mind.” I said smiling at her as she ate. I rinsed out the skillet and dried it off and she pointed out where it goes. I put it away and waited for them to finish. Val finished feeding both herself and Skylar and she brought their plates and utensils over to me and I washed and dried them and she showed me where they go.

“Honey can you go in the living room and play for a minute while your daddy and I talk to Roxy?”

“Okay mommy.” He said kissing her cheek and running out of the kitchen.

“You have a beautiful son.”

“Thank you Roxy.” Val said smiling.

“So what’s on today’s agenda?”
“I’ve got to go do a photo shoot.” Val said smiling.

“I have to go lay some tracks for a new album.”

“That sound exciting!” I said smiling as I finished up the last of the dishes and put them away.

“It can be at times. Do you have a phone?”

“Yes.” I answered wiping off my hands.

“Let me see it. I’m putting my number and Val’s number in there in case you need us for anything.” I nodded and pulled my phone out of my pocket and handed it Matt. He punched a few buttons and handed back my phone. I slid the phone back into my pocket and Matt handed me his phone and I put my number in and then Val did the same with hers. Matt looked at his phone and kissed Val.

“I got to head out. I’ll see you ladies later tonight. Don’t let him give you a hard time.”

“Don’t worry. I’m sure he’s a well-behaved little boy.” I said smiling.

“See you all later.” Matt waved at us as he left the kitchen and then I heard the sound of crying. Val left the kitchen and I followed right behind her. We entered the living room where Skylar was latched onto Matt’s leg for dear life.

“Buddy don’t worry I’ll be back later today.”

“I don’t want you to go daddy.” He said choking on his tears. I walked over to Matt and bent down to the little boy.

“Skylar look at me.” I said as I placed a hand on his shoulder. He looked over still clinging to his father’s leg.

“There’s nothing to worry about little man. Your daddy is going to leave and before you know it, he’ll be back here and giving you all kinds of hugs and millions of kisses.” I said taking his hands from Matt’s leg. He came right into my arms and immediately calmed down.

“How about we play with some of your toys and if you’re a good little boy you’ll get some ice cream.”

“I’ll be good.” He said perking up. I wiped away his tears and he went back to playing with his toys. I walked Matt to the door.

“You have a way with children.”

“I guess I do. I think it just comes naturally.” I said smiling.

“It must do. I’ll see you later.” I nodded and shut the door as he left. I went back into the living room and was about to sit down when Val called me into the kitchen.

“You needed me?” I asked as I entered the kitchen.

“I just wanted to ask you something.”

“Okay.” I said confused.

“When Matt was putting our numbers into your phone, I saw the background image. Who is that woman?”

“That’s my mother.” I said hanging my head.

“I’m sorry…did I say something wrong?”

“No Val. My mother died 3 years ago in a car accident.” I said honestly.

“What about your father? Where is he?”

“He travels a lot for business.” I said lying through my teeth. I don’t want her knowing the real reason he left. No one needs to know my problems.

“Oh? What does he do?”

“He’s in software. Right now he’s over in Germany.” I said telling another lie. It’s only my first day and I’ve already told 2 lies but hell they don’t need to know my personal life.

“Germany is exciting. I’ve been over there with the band while they were touring a few years ago.”

“Cool.” I said smiling. Val looked down at her phone.

“I must be going. I’ll see you later.”

“See you.” I said following her out of the kitchen and to the front door where I closed it behind me. I felt a tug on the back of my shirt and I turned around and seen Skylar.

“Can you play with me?”

“Sure little buddy.” I said smiling and he grabbed my hand and dragged me into the living room. I sat down on the floor with him as he rolled around some toy cars.

Skylar is so precious and I’m glad I get to take care of such a good little boy. He’s well-mannered and polite and just an all-around good kid. I sat with him playing with his toys most of the day until it was lunch time and I fixed him some chicken nuggets that were in the freezer. I put them on a plate with some ketchup and he sat there eating them enjoyingly. After he finished I cleaned up the plate and put him front of the TV so I do a little bit of dusting and cleaning in the kitchen.

I wiped down the counter tops and cleaned off the table and even mopped the floor a little. I went back into the living room where Skylar watched SpongeBob. I smiled at the little boy as he giggled at the laugh of Mr. Squarepants.

“Hey Skylar?” I said and he looked over at me.

“How you would like to go out for some ice cream? I know a little place where my mom used to take me all the time and they have the best ice cream.”

“Yeah!” He said excited and turned off the TV.

“Before we go though, I would like you to pick up your toys.”

“Okay.” He said and he grabbed a handful and went over to a little box that sat over by a sliding glass door and he put his toys in. He went back 2 more times until the floor was cleaned. I grabbed his shoes and sat him down on the couch and put them on him.

“Sit here for just a minute.” I said smiling and I went into the kitchen and wrote a little note for whoever would grab it first and I stuck it to the fridge. I went back into the living room and grabbed him up and left the house. I strapped him in a car seat, I found it in mom’s room while going through my things, and I got into the driver’s seat and let the car roar to life. I backed out of the driveway and headed for the pier.

I found a parking spot right across from the ice cream shop and I got Skylar out and held his hand as we crossed the street and went into the place.
“Roxy! How are you doing?”

“I’m doing just fine Pauline. How are you today?” I said smiling.

“I’m doing pretty good. Who is this little man?”

“This is Skylar. I’m babysitting him for Val and Matt Sanders.” I said looking down at the little boy.

“It’s very nice to meet you Skylar. My name is Pauline but you can call me Polly.”

“Hi Polly!”

“Order any ice cream you want. This is on the house.” Pauline said smiling as she went behind the counter.

“What would you like?” I said bending down to Skylar’s level.

“Chocolate please!”

“Alright one chocolate coming right up and what would you like Roxy?” Pauline asked turning her attention to me as I stood up.

“Rocky Road please.” I watched as Pauline put 3 scoops of ice cream into each bowl and then asked us what type of toppings we would like. Skylar had fudge and sprinkles and I put nuts and gummy bears on mine. She handed them to me and got up a seat over by the window. We sat there eating and just having a good time. I told him one day I would take him to the beach and he loved that idea. He wanted to try some of mine so I swiped a bit of his and he loved it.

After we finished, I took him back to the house and put him down for a nap as I got out some things to start a nice dinner for when Val and Matt got home. I figured I would make something my mom taught me and something I loved. Chicken Cordon Bleu. I placed the chicken into the oven to cook and I peeled some potatoes for some potato salad and while the potatoes were cooking, I chopped up some cabbage and carrots to make coleslaw. The coleslaw was finished just about the time the potatoes were ready to be strained and I placed some plastic wrap over it and put it into the fridge.

I checked the chicken and it was done so I took it out of the over and placed it aside so it could cool. I drained the potatoes and mashed them up before putting a little bit of mustard, relish, and just a tad bit of onion and I wrapped plastic wrap around the top and placed it into the fridge for just a few minutes. I grabbed some plates from the cabinet and set the table as the door opened. I looked over as I got out the potato salad and coleslaw and seen Matt.

“Something smells really good in here.”

“I made Chicken Cordon Bleu with potato salad and coleslaw.” I said placing the 2 bowls on the table.

“It smells awfully good. Where’s Skylar?”

“He’s upstairs taking a nap. I was just about to wake him up.” I said putting the plate of chicken on the table.

“I’ll do that.” He bolted out of the room and I heard his footsteps the entire way up to the second story. I shook my head as I grabbed a little cup for Skylar and filled it with some juice and set it beside his place at the table.

“Wow what smells good in here?” I looked over and seen Val coming into the kitchen.

“Dinner is served. Your entre for tonight is Chicken Cordon Bleu with potato salad and coleslaw.” I said smiling.

“You made all this?”

“Yes ma’am. I just finished everything actually.” I said putting the utensils on the table along with some napkins. Matt came into the kitchen with Skylar in his arms and he sat him down on his feet and he ran over to me. I picked him up and sat him in his seat at the table. Matt and Val sat down as well.

“What will you 2 be drinking?” I asked going over to the fridge.

“I’ll have a beer.”

“I’ll just have some tea.” Val said and I nodded and I grabbed a glass and put some ice in it and pour her a glass of tea. I grabbed Matt a beer as I put the tea away. I place their drinks in front of them.

“Please go ahead and eat while I do these dishes.” I said and Matt cut off a piece of the chicken and started eating.

“This is so good!”

“Thank you. My mother’s recipe.” I said as I scrubbed the pot.

“I would love the recipe.”

“Sure. When I come in tomorrow I’ll bring the recipe for you.” I said rinsing out the pot and placing it into the drainer. I finished the things I cooked with as they ate and I put them away. Matt sat back in his seat and rubbed over his stomach with a smile on his face.

“That was certainly a fantastic meal. You’re a really awesome cook Roxy.”

“Thanks. I get that from my mother.” I said smiling as I took his plate along with Val’s and Skylar’s. I placed them into the sink and began to wash them.

“Roxy, I can do that.”

“You’ve had a long day. I’ll do it.” I said washing the dishes. I rinsed them off and placed them into the drainer before wiping them dry and putting them back into the cabinet. I wiped down the stove and the counters and moved onto the table. I folded up the dishrag and laid it on the divider in the sink.

“It’s getting late and I need to be heading home. I’ll see you guys tomorrow morning.” I said wiping my hands dry. I felt arms go around my leg. I looked down and there was Skylar.

“Buddy I’ll be back tomorrow.” I said bending down where he let go of my leg and grabbed onto my neck.

“You promise?”

“Of course I do. I pinky swear.” I said holding out my pinky. He put his pinky around mine and I shook his hand once. He put his other arm back around my neck giving me a hug and I hugged him right back before standing back up.

“You have a safe drive back home Roxy.”

“I will.” I said as I left the house and got into my car and heading back to my house for some well-deserved rest.

~~~~~~~~~~MATT’S POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched as she drove away from the house and I looked over at Val.

“She’s really good with Skylar.” I said smiling as I grabbed another beer from the fridge.

“Yes she is and it’s too bad that she has to go home to an empty home.”

“What do you mean?” I asked curiously as I opened the beer.

“After you left this morning, I asked her about the picture on her phone. That was her mother. She told me her mother died 3 years ago because of a car accident and her father is traveling a lot so she’s home alone most of the time.”

“Damn that sucks.” I said sympathetically.

“Yes it does but it doesn’t seem to bother her. Most girls her age would be afraid to stay home all the time by themselves.”

“I know what you mean.” I said nodding.

“She seemed a little upset when I brought up her mother and a little more upset when I brought up her father.”

“Well that’s reasonable Val. Her mom is dead and she misses her and her father travels a lot so she doesn’t get to see him as often as she likes.” I said throwing away the now empty beer bottle.
“That’s not what I mean. She seemed to get an angry look in her eye when I mentioned him. I think she’s holding in more than she’s really telling us.”

“When she gets comfortable enough around us then she’ll talk more.” I said leaving the kitchen with Val and going into the living room where Skylar was watching TV,

“I know.” I sat down pulling Skylar into my lap and he snuggled up to me.

“Did you have fun with Roxy?” I asked my son.

“Yeah daddy! We had so much fun today.”

“What did you do?” I asked again.

“She sat here and played with me and my toys and then she took me out for ice cream where this nice lady named Polly gave me a free ice cream with anything I wanted on it.”

“That was nice of her. Did you thank both Polly and Roxy?” I asked in curiosity.

“Yeah I did. Daddy?”

“Yes son.” I said looking down at him.

“I like Roxy. I hope she stays with us for a long time.”

“I’m sure she will son…I’m sure she will.” I said pulling him closer to me and wrapping my other arm around Val’s shoulder. Roxy is a good kid and Skylar certainly likes her. I do hope myself she stays around for a good long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
well ive got to tell you readers that if I dont get some comments on this story its not going to be updated and that goes for all my other stories that i'm working on. I dont mean to be bitchy or anything like that, but i do like to hear from my readers. it helps me better to know i have people who love a story and the more you readers comment the more updates there will be.