All That We Could Be

Chapter Eleven

It was at long last March 11th. To Fallon it seemed to have taken years to get there. She had started to measure time from the point Daniel had said goodbye. Almost like when she would measure time according to when she would be able to watch the next episode of ‘Gossip Girl’ or ‘Privileged’. It had been a week and two days. It was a finally Friday. Fallon was still alive, much to her surprise. She couldn’t believe she could live with a heart that had gone missing or was broken beyond repair.

Cheryl had kept mentioning Daniel to a bare minimum. This suited Fallon just fine. She still wouldn’t go to Lively! unless Cheryl had booked her there. She had started to avoid anything that could possibly link Daniel to her. The only thing Fallon refused to avoid was her basement library. That she would never give up to his memory. If she gave up her library, then she would have to admit defeat. That she was as weak as she thought.

This morning Fallon would be performing her new single on GM TV. She also had an interview to suffer through. Since last week Fallon had gone through the motions of showing up where she was supposed to be, without any fuss. The only time she felt like herself was when she was performing.

She entered the studio, Cheryl was waiting outside. The hosts announced her arrival. “Here is Fallon with her new single, Love Song, which was originally sung by Canadian band Sky.” Fallon knew it was time. The backing track started. Fallon sang.

Singing wasn’t the part that Fallon dreaded, when it came to television performances. It was the interview that came afterwards that scared her. Here they could ask her anything. Not that she was obligated to answer, it just was a worse set up since it was being recorded and televised.

Once she had finished performing, one of the hosts led her to the sofa. “Good morning Fallon.” Said the man, his name was Steven. “Good morning.” Fallon said, she thought she sounded awkward. “That is a lovely single you’ve released.” Said the woman named Emma. “Thank you.” Fallon said earnestly. “So tell us, why did you decide on this song to release as the second single?” asked Steven. “Actually, when I was younger I used to listen to this song, and I adored it. It’s one of those songs that you could listen to over and over again…and not get sick of.” She told them. “Wow, so what were your reasons for releasing ‘Down In Heaven’ and ‘Sing’ as B-sides then?” asked Emma. “I actually wanted to put a more Canadian influence on this one. It’s my home country, and I love a lot of the music that’s produced there…so I wanted to share it over here.” Fallon said, a little sheepishly.

“So how is it having your single ‘Memory Of You’ go to number one in five weeks, and also have your album become number one?” They asked her. “Amazing really. I couldn’t believe the response I got for this album. It’s all because of the public…the fans…if they didn’t like it; it would probably never get to those heights.” She responded.

“So we’ve noticed.” Said Emma. “Okay so moving on, we approach your private life. How come we haven’t seen Daniel and you together lately?” asked Emma. Fallon’s heart plummeted. She sat there trying to think of a response. I left him…he went on holiday…who’s Daniel?-Fallon tried to think of a response. At last she gave up. Truth was a better option; maybe the photographers would leave her alone now. “Actually, we’re not together any more…” Fallon trailed off. “Really? What happened?” The lady asked.

Fallon was getting a little annoyed at how interested Emma was in finding out what happened. She decided to spare both herself and Daniel the drama of a he said she said dirt fest. “It was mutual; we were both at a place in our careers where it wasn’t possible to be together.” She said, trying to be diplomatic. “I see, so are you both friends?” asked Steven. Crap…-Fallon thought. I forgot about that part…- She panicked. “Actually we’ve both been really busy. I mean I’ve had a lot of work right now, with everything. The single, school work, the club tour.” Fallon tried to sound nonchalant.

“Alright, well best of luck. We hope you’ll be back when you release another single.” They bade her farewell.

Fallon had to keep herself from running out of the studio. That had been one of the worst interviews she could have ever had. Her private life was now going to be on television. Not to mention if Daniel ever saw this…he would probably be surprised at the extent of her covering up who broke up with whom.

Fallon grabbed her coat of the rack, as she headed for the waiting room. Cheryl saw her in a hurry. “Fallon, how did it go?” She asked. “Fine, got to go, going to be late.” Fallon said quickly, walking in the direction of the parking lot. She was in the mood for another few hours on the track. Cheryl was coming up fast behind her. As Fallon walked out side, her coat billowed in the cold wind. “Wait up Fallon, you have to drop me off to Lively!...my car is there and I have to work.” Cheryl said as she caught up to Fallon. At once Fallon slowed down. “I remember…so then I’m done right? No more interviews or promo for the rest of the day?” She asked hopefully.

Fallon’s school had closed. March break had started and she had two weeks. Two weeks in which she would spend most of her time doing promotions for her single. Fallon didn’t think that Cheryl knew about her plans to spend the remainder of her time at the race course. Then again, Cheryl probably did know. That girl knew everything about her. Fallon could keep little to herself when it came to Cheryl figuring out what she was up to. Thankfully, Cheryl hadn’t said anything about the race course since that night…

Speed had been a comfort to Fallon. If anything went wrong, she knew that at least she had one thing that would always make her feel better. Fallon remembered the first time she had found the track, it had been one Craig’s producer friends that had led her to the secluded place. Here she could get away from anything. Her heart’s pain, her thoughts, even the fame and publicity she didn’t think much of. Some of her favorite song ideas from her previous albums had come while her mind was in this excited state. She loved the thrill of pressing on the accelerator. The speed just taking her with it. Although it sounded dangerous…and it was, but the track was regulated…by Craig’s producer friend. It had safety measures all around it. Fallon also tried to make sure she stayed within her limit. The last thing she needed was to get hurt.

“No you have nothing else today…but can you come home by five, we can go see a movie or something.” Cheryl said. Fallon knew that by the tone of her voice, Cheryl was onto her. “Look it’s like 9:15, I will probably head home in a few hours, plus I have to pick up some books on the way home. So I’ll be home and we’ll watch a movie…but can we just rent one instead of going out?” Fallon reasoned with Cheryl. “Fine, but where will you be for the few hours…” Cheryl knew, that was certain, she was just trying to make Fallon say it herself.

Fallon sighed. She unlocked the door to her Charger, and pressed the automatic unlocking button. They both sat inside. “You already know where I’m going to head off to, so there isn’t any point in pretending you don’t know.” Fallon told her, as she started the car. “I know, but I think you need to stop going for a little while…maybe talk about what happened instead of avoiding it.” Cheryl told her, her voice pleading a little. “Not right now, besides I’ve behaved myself the entire week…I need to do something myself.” Fallon told her stubbornly. “Alright fine, let me know when you want to talk.” Cheryl said with a glare. “I will.” Fallon said with a laugh.

“So how was your interview anyway?” Cheryl asked as they drove along. “Alright…I guess” Fallon couldn’t keep the horror out of her voice. “That bad huh? What did they ask?” Cheryl asked curiously.

“About why I chose the single, and what was the reason for the b-sides. That sort of thing.” Fallon said vaguely. “That doesn’t sound too bad…what was wrong with that?” Cheryl asked. Fallon shrugged. “Maybe because they asked where Daniel was these days.” She told Cheryl. She glanced at Cheryl briefly, and then returned her eyes to the road.

“What did they ask exactly?” Cheryl asked trying to sound normal. “Where he had been for the last little while…” Fallon told her. “And you said?” Cheryl prodded. “That we broke up mutually, and that I have been too busy to really talk to him yet.” Fallon told her, grimacing at the fact that both statements had been untrue. “That’s not so bad…I mean you could have said something worse…” Cheryl told her trying to make her feel better. “Yea right…” Fallon said disbelievingly. “I’m sure Daniel won’t mind…” Cheryl said trying to lessen Fallon’s fears. It didn’t help.

As soon as Fallon had dropped Cheryl off, she headed for the track. No one was on it, since it was still pretty early in the morning. Fallon decided to stay for an hour and a half. She wanted to make sure she had enough time to go to the book store and stock up on some good books…and then she would have to spend some time finding a good movie. For Fallon, she wanted to get over the having to go to the store part of her day. The more she was out in public the more people might try to corner her with questions.

Time flew by at the race course, before Fallon knew it, she had spent a good two hours and forty five minutes. That was to be expected. There was no way to get off once Fallon had started. She decided that it was finally time to go and complete her errands. She left the track with sorrow, hoping that tomorrow she would be back for a lot longer. On her way out she said good bye to the owner. Phil, was Craig’s producer friend. When he had found out about Fallon’s need for speed, he had allowed her to spend time on the race course he owned. Phil waved back as she left.

Fallon first went to the movie store. From there she bought ‘Bella’, ‘Corpse Bride’, ‘Pride & Prejudice’, and ‘The Duchess’. Fallon knew that Cheryl had wanted to see the latter.

Next she headed for the book store. Fallon breathed in the fresh new book smell. This was the other thing that made Fallon happy. Books. Fallon went through the aisles carefully. She selected the books which she had wanted to get, and then looked through the new releases. As she made her way through the end of the aisle, she glanced through the window.

Her heart stopped. Walking by the bookstore was none other than Daniel. Fallon rushed to turn the other way but in her hurry ran into another person. Her books fell from her arms.

“I’m so sorry.” Fallon mumbled as she got on her knees to pick up the books. She had run into a young man. “Its okay, let me help you.” He told her. “Do you always read through so many books?” He asked her, his deep voice was captivating. Fallon looked up. He had auburn hair, was lean, and a little built, but he had brown eyes. “Yea, I have a collection at home…I’m always adding to it.” Fallon told him.

As he handed her the last book, she apologized to him again. “Don’t worry about it, I’m William by the way.” He held out his hand to help her up. Fallon hesitantly took it. “I’m Fallon.” She told him. “Hey, I know you…I just bought your album recently. My father wants to buy that record company that holds your contract.” William told her, sounding business like. Fallon was confused. “Who’s your father?” She asked. “I’m sorry, I’m William Chace Evans. My father is Michael Evans…owner of Evan Enterprises.” He told her.

At once Fallon knew who this was. William was the heir to his father’s company. His father owned a lot of businesses here in England and overseas. Fallon also knew that William was always in the papers…partying…or helping his father obtain more types of businesses.

“We should go out sometime, I could show you some great places where you could do your club tours.” William offered. “Umm…sure…” Fallon said hesitantly. “Can I have your number? I’ll call you, we’ll have fun.” William said. Fallon didn’t know what to do. William stood there waiting. Weighing her options, she gave in and told William her number. Some part of her hoped he wouldn’t call. He’s not Daniel…-She thought, as William left, and she paid for her books.